Sleeper Hits - underhyped titles which you know will be awesome

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
SupCom 2.

Every Supreme Commander fan thinks it will suck because Square Enix is partnered in with GPG to make it, and that's why I think it will be great. Well, one reason.

Also, it will be like SupCom except less hardware-requiring, but prettier - they've optimized the engine, and any RTS player who's played SupCom will tell you - the interface is incredible, and they're only making it better...

It will be overshadowed by, obviously, Starcraft II.

Omni-Bot

Jul 5, 2009
Demon's Souls. It is not going to get any attention from the mainstream because of how hard and niche it is, but everything I've heard from the reviews and people who imported it (myself included) is stellar. It also is going to get absolutely no advertising because it was a low budget title with a narrow audience. Demon's Souls is developed by From Software and Sony, and is being published by Atlus in the US on October 6th. There will be a collectors edition that comes with a bunch of goodies for only $70, (contains a strategy guide which will be EXTREMELY USEFUL.)

If you want an game that takes the best of western and eastern RPG's; seamlessly blends single player, co-op, and PvP into one; challenges you without being cheep; has massive replay value (you WILL go through at least twice, probably more); then make it a point to pick up this game and support a great new PS3 IP.

Here are the reviews (the Euro Gamer one is a good read).
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/demonssouls

fuckwit

Jan 4, 2009
Valiance said:
SupCom 2.

Every Supreme Commander fan thinks it will suck because Square Enix is partnered in with GPG to make it, and that's why I think it will be great. Well, one reason.

Also, it will be like SupCom except less hardware-requiring, but prettier - they've optimized the engine, and any RTS player who's played SupCom will tell you - the interface is incredible, and they're only making it better...

Square Enix D: The game will be even more slow-paced. Just kidding, the game will, obviously, be incredible. I never bought the expansion :(

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time.

It hasn't been very hyped, I mean, at E3, they didn't even show it once during their press conference. It's just a game that ps3 owners knows is coming. And it will be awesome.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
pimppeter2 said:
Risen looks like a promising Rpg.
It's getting more coverage in german-speaking parts, which is natural, since it's like the spiritual successor of Gothic, which was way more popular over here. And I agree, I'd be surprised if this game isn't totally awesome. I loved the first 2 Gothics, and this is really returning to those roots. I've got better hopes for this game than Arcania: A Gothic Tale anyway.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Mini Ninjas is looking really good! That's my second most anticipated game this fall, right after Borderlands, but that game has been getting so much hype lately; I wouldn't say it's a sleeper-hit, but anyways... I digress. Mini Ninjas is probably the cutest game I've played, and I've played some cute games in my days, it is also, however, as I found out in the demo, a really deep game with lots of variety.
Kollega said:
For me,it's Just Cause 2. First Just Cause was an opposite of a sleeper hit - it was a hybrid of James Bond and El Mariachi,so there were big expectations. Game itself,though,was merely OK. But second part radically improves findings of a first - there's still tropical island,but there's more content,there's still grappling hook,but now there's much more functions to it,there's still crazy stunts,but there's more of them,and they're more crazy.

Official site for anyone intrested.

DISCLAIMER: if linking to off-sites of a games is prohibited as advertising,please notify me,and i'll remove the link. I'm just not sure whether it is considered advertising or not.
This is my most anticipated game for next year! It's looking really good.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
fuckwit said:
Valiance said:
SupCom 2.

Square Enix D: The game will be even more slow-paced. Just kidding, the game will, obviously, be incredible. I never bought the expansion :(
It's being more simplified.
Hopefully Square will get me to almost-give-a-shit about the characters involved in the story.

But they're removing the adjacency bonus for building shit next to power generators, they're removing some of the extra bullshit units and instead giving you upgrades at later tiers to make basic units better (ie, not a tier 1 tank, or a tier 2 tank, or a tier 3 tank, but one tank that you upgrade throughout your tiers), etc.

It seems to be much more streamlined - the type of game real Starcraft fans want, rather than the cash-in pseudo DoW II campaign that SC II looks to be.

I've only played SupCom:FA. Never played the original.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
R.U.S.E. Not sure how hyped that's been, but by Christ that thing looks bloody brilliant. So does Hydrophobia, again not sure how hyped it is.

Edit: I just had a look at Demon's Souls and That thing looks so fking cool.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Most of the underhyped games I know are for older systems

Silpheed for SEGA CD is a awesome spaceship shooter that is amazing for it's time, though now I'm sure most people would laugh at the insanely early 3D.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Shin Megami Tensei IV

Yeah, I know, the game hasn't been announced yet... And they probebly haven't even begun production yet... But one day it will be released and it will be underhyped, so help me God.

'Shin Megami Tensei' appeared in 1992.
'Shin Megami Tensei II' (and 'Shin Megami Tensei If...') appeared in 1994.
'Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne' appeared in 2003.
The latter was re-released in 2004 as 'Shin Meagami Tensei III: Nocturne Maniacs' or 'Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call'.

The series has always been credited as a more 'mature' game. Lots of occult stuff, pretty challenging, deep storyline, unique art direction and heavy music. Definitely not a title for just anyone, but a real treat for the gamer gourmet.

Currently Atlus has been booking quite some success with the revival of the SMT-spin-off Persona series. Simply look at the remakes, sequels and 'special re-releases' (see FES). I really liked the games and I'm glad they're getting the attention they deserve, but...

There's no freedom anymore. The 'calender-system', random dungeons, school obligations and lack of different locations kind of keep you down. The atmosphere and story is still good though, even without the heavy post-apocalyptic occult thing. Another aspect is the 'demon recruiting'. A concept that let you talk to every demon and, through bargaining, reach an agreement. This could lead to a new team-mate or the acquisition of new items or information.

In the PSOne titles of Persona, you could still do something more or less the same, but with Persona 3 and 4, no chance.

So yeah, SMT IV is most likely going to kick ass, but everyone will be playing Mass Effect 4 or Ratchet & Clank 9. So no one will be around to feel it...

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
Uh, pardon my considerably bad french, but how can you consider a game that's still being MADE a sleeper hit? If it hasn't come out, it hasn't been under OR overhyped. Most of the Hype most games get (deserved or not) comes from reviews in sites and mags. So if a game hasn't even come out yet, there's not been time for there to BE hype.

Shadow of the Collosus.
Legend of Dragoon.
Klonoa 1 ON PS1!!!!!
Star Ocean Second Story.
and one likely no one has come to realize exists . . . Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Mikkaddo said:
Uh, pardon my considerably bad french, but how can you consider a game that's still being MADE a sleeper hit? If it hasn't come out, it hasn't been under OR overhyped. Most of the Hype most games get (deserved or not) comes from reviews in sites and mags. So if a game hasn't even come out yet, there's not been time for there to BE hype.
By "Hype" i mean pre-release buzz. I define a "sleeper hit" as a game that is not well known before release,and which no-one expects to be awesome,yet it's sales after release is huge,and everyone is talking about it.

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
Kollega said:
By "Hype" i mean pre-release buzz. I define a "sleeper hit" as a game that is not well known before release,and which no-one expects to be awesome,yet it's sales after release is huge,and everyone is talking about it.
Ahhh, alright then, I'm used to "hype" being the endless rush of gamers in lol speak screeching about how awesome the game is.