Slender Man attacker found to be insane

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
A jury in the US state of Wisconsin has determined that a girl who admitted to participating in a stabbing in 2014 to please the horror character Slender Man was mentally ill during the attack.
Anissa Weier, now 15, had pleaded guilty in August to being a party to attempted second-degree homicide.
But she said she was not responsible for her actions on grounds of insanity. She will be sent to a mental hospital.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41292913

Not surprised by this and to be honest, a secure mental hospital is the best place for her not a jail cell.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...And this surprised anyone HOW? To quote (or at least paraphrase) one Eren Yeager, "Some people are like rabid dogs in human skin." Seriously, people like be that should not be on the streets...

Sep 24, 2008
If she was not a cute little innocent white girl, would we care if she was insane? If she was actually a 17 year old, 220 pound football player just as insane, would anyone look to see if he wasn't sane? A girl who was considered ugly and fat, mocked by the school at large. She might be insane... but really, she was jealous and that's what it's all about. Dreamer child who just was insane. "See, this is the dangers of illegals!!"

I just want to know why the bending over backwards to consider this fucked up little girl to be insane when she's clearly not.

She and her other friend thought Slenderman would come and take them as proxies, correct? Then why run? You offered up a sacrifice to someone you revere as a deity. Someone that you feel is going to come for the world and the only way to protect your families is by offering someone's life.

Therefore, if you believe this, no one can touch you after you do this. You think that no one can stop Slenderman, so what's the big deal if you're even caught? Slenderman will protect you as his chosen. So why run? Why have fear?

It's a bullshit defense that no one actually truly believes, but it's better to pretend to believe the nice explanation than that even cute little innocent looking girls can be capable of doing something like this. Because that would break the world's perception if you HAD TO TREAT EVERYONE WITH THE POTENTIAL OF HAVING BOTH BAD AND GOOD, instead of the Dangerous looking ones are obviously bad, and the Innocent looking ones can only have something fundamentally wrong that no one could ever truly see if they do anything bad ever.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
McElroy said:
So... Any bets on when she'll be safe for release? At 20? 25? 35?
Never, obviously. You can't let crazy out of the bag if it's killed, because it's like a wild dog.

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
FalloutJack said:
McElroy said:
So... Any bets on when she'll be safe for release? At 20? 25? 35?
Never, obviously. You can't let crazy out of the bag if it's killed, because it's like a wild dog.
I don't agree with that. If it turns out that the cause of murder was due to a issue in the persons mind/brain, such as a chemical imbalance etc, that can be treated and cure them, then they can be released.

I DO agree that if the cause of said murder cannot be cured, then they cannot be released and will need to remain in a ward, potentially for life, to protect them-self and the public.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
KaraFang said:
If it turns out that the cause of murder was due to a issue in the persons mind/brain, such as a chemical imbalance etc, that can be treated and cure them, then they can be released.
She was just 12 and thus her brain continues (and has continued to this day) to develop for years. I believe them blaming Slenderman is just a lie, but whatever the true motivations were, I hope the professionals can determine if they persist and release her if they don't.

Normally it's enough that the person - even a real wacko - simply agrees to keep their crazy urges to themselves, but that's not possible in this case anymore.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
This was expected of course. America very much needs to sort out their access and awareness of mental health maintenance. Every personal problem finds an outlet that appeals to their input data.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
FalloutJack said:
This is a highly dubious statement. Insane people have become sane before; it's well documented and psychiatrically recognised.

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
ObsidianJones said:
If she was not a cute little innocent white girl, would we care if she was insane? If she was actually a 17 year old, 220 pound football player just as insane, would anyone look to see if he wasn't sane? A girl who was considered ugly and fat, mocked by the school at large. She might be insane... but really, she was jealous and that's what it's all about. Dreamer child who just was insane. "See, this is the dangers of illegals!!"

I just want to know why the bending over backwards to consider this fucked up little girl to be insane when she's clearly not.

She and her other friend thought Slenderman would come and take them as proxies, correct? Then why run? You offered up a sacrifice to someone you revere as a deity. Someone that you feel is going to come for the world and the only way to protect your families is by offering someone's life.

Therefore, if you believe this, no one can touch you after you do this. You think that no one can stop Slenderman, so what's the big deal if you're even caught? Slenderman will protect you as his chosen. So why run? Why have fear?

It's a bullshit defense that no one actually truly believes, but it's better to pretend to believe the nice explanation than that even cute little innocent looking girls can be capable of doing something like this. Because that would break the world's perception if you HAD TO TREAT EVERYONE WITH THE POTENTIAL OF HAVING BOTH BAD AND GOOD, instead of the Dangerous looking ones are obviously bad, and the Innocent looking ones can only have something fundamentally wrong that no one could ever truly see if they do anything bad ever.
Damn, you've picked a logical flaw in the thinking of an insane person. Because insane people are notorious for their logical thinking...

Let's be honest, anybody committing murders like that is screwed up to some degree, the question is rather to do with the degree to which they could be considered to control themselves, sort of thing.

Sep 24, 2008
Catnip1024 said:
Damn, you've picked a logical flaw in the thinking of an insane person. Because insane people are notorious for their logical thinking...

Let's be honest, anybody committing murders like that is screwed up to some degree, the question is rather to do with the degree to which they could be considered to control themselves, sort of thing.
I picked two logical flaws.

First, most laws for criminal insanity like The 'Model Penal Code' Test for Legal Insanity [http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-procedure/the-model-penal-code-test-for-legal-insanity.html?version=2] has qualifications.

using the MPC test, a legally insane individual must have been diagnosed with a mental defect (typically by a court-appointed mental health professional) and either did not know right from wrong or lacked the ability to control an impulse that led to the incident.
Trying to flee the crime for fear of getting in trouble over her actions? Yeah, that meant she knew right from wrong. The fact that their story kept changing to blame the other to protect themselves after they were caught [http://nypost.com/2017/01/22/inside-kids-chilling-slenderman-murder-plot/]?

Upon their arrest hours later, Morgan and Anissa, in separate interrogations, would tell detectives conflicting accounts. Morgan said the plot to kill Payton was Anissa's idea; Anissa said it was Morgan's. After the attack, Morgan was surprised by how calm she felt, and Anissa was equally surprised that she felt on the verge of 'a total nervous breakdown.' Neither girl seemed particularly concerned about the fate of the other, though Anissa did ask, 'Where's Bella's body now?' and it took her a moment to absorb what the detective told her, that Payton was somehow still alive, in the hospital and conscious enough to tell the police who had done this to her.

Anissa and Morgan, however, had one consistent thread in their stories to police: They were driven to kill in the name of an internet apparition called Slenderman.
And also given that they plotted for it for a long while [http://www.newsweek.com/2014/08/22/girls-who-tried-kill-slender-man-264218.html].

In the intervening months, Geyser and Weier whispered about their plan, sometimes while riding the bus, often using code words like 'camping trip' (to refer to the Nicolet National Forest in Wisconsin's Northwoods, where they believed Slender Man lived). On the evening of Friday, May 30, Geyser, Weier and the victim went roller skating and then headed back to Geyser's house for a sleepover. Geyser and Weier knew when they were going to stab their friend: 2 a.m. And how: cover the girl's mouth with duct tape, stab her in the neck and then pull the covers over her. Then they'd run.

But they didn?t kill their friend that night. 'I wanted to give [the victim] one more day,' Geyser told police.
They knew right from wrong. They could control their impulses for months. They just didn't care.

That goes to the actual flaw I was pointing out. Because no one wants to come to grips that even little girls can be just wrong. They'll make charges of insanity so they can sleep at nights, knowing that they only have to fear certain people. And anyone who actually fits their mindset of "safe" that does anything wrong is simply mentally imbalanced.

Why? So they don't have to come to grips with reality that anyone can be evil. At any age. Since "reasonable" people can't bear to believe that, they have to invent a reason. This event could have only happened because they were insane. That is dangerous to everyone and a massive flaw that we all need to recognize.

If you create a law system based on feelings instead of statutes, you render the whole thing absolutely meaningless.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
Catnip1024 said:

I picked two logical flaws.

First, most laws for criminal insanity like The 'Model Penal Code' Test for Legal Insanity [http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-procedure/the-model-penal-code-test-for-legal-insanity.html?version=2] has qualifications.

using the MPC test, a legally insane individual must have been diagnosed with a mental defect (typically by a court-appointed mental health professional) and either did not know right from wrong or lacked the ability to control an impulse that led to the incident.
Trying to flee the crime for fear of getting in trouble over her actions? Yeah, that meant she knew right from wrong. The fact that their story kept changing to blame the other to protect themselves after they were caught [http://nypost.com/2017/01/22/inside-kids-chilling-slenderman-murder-plot/]?

Upon their arrest hours later, Morgan and Anissa, in separate interrogations, would tell detectives conflicting accounts. Morgan said the plot to kill Payton was Anissa's idea; Anissa said it was Morgan's. After the attack, Morgan was surprised by how calm she felt, and Anissa was equally surprised that she felt on the verge of 'a total nervous breakdown.' Neither girl seemed particularly concerned about the fate of the other, though Anissa did ask, 'Where's Bella's body now?' and it took her a moment to absorb what the detective told her, that Payton was somehow still alive, in the hospital and conscious enough to tell the police who had done this to her.

Anissa and Morgan, however, had one consistent thread in their stories to police: They were driven to kill in the name of an internet apparition called Slenderman.
And also given that they plotted for it for a long while [http://www.newsweek.com/2014/08/22/girls-who-tried-kill-slender-man-264218.html].

In the intervening months, Geyser and Weier whispered about their plan, sometimes while riding the bus, often using code words like 'camping trip' (to refer to the Nicolet National Forest in Wisconsin's Northwoods, where they believed Slender Man lived). On the evening of Friday, May 30, Geyser, Weier and the victim went roller skating and then headed back to Geyser's house for a sleepover. Geyser and Weier knew when they were going to stab their friend: 2 a.m. And how: cover the girl's mouth with duct tape, stab her in the neck and then pull the covers over her. Then they'd run.

But they didn?t kill their friend that night. 'I wanted to give [the victim] one more day,' Geyser told police.
They knew right from wrong. They could control their impulses for months. They just didn't care.

That goes to the actual flaw I was pointing out. Because no one wants to come to grips that even little girls can be just wrong. They'll make charges of insanity so they can sleep at nights, knowing that they only have to fear certain people. And anyone who actually fits their mindset of "safe" that does anything wrong is simply mentally imbalanced.

Why? So they don't have to come to grips with reality that anyone can be evil. At any age. Since "reasonable" people can't bear to believe that, they have to invent a reason. This event could have only happened because they were insane. That is dangerous to everyone and a massive flaw that we all need to recognize.

If you create a law system based on feelings instead of statutes, you render the whole thing absolutely meaningless.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/crime/2017/09/14/2nd-expert-says-slender-man-defendants-delusion-prevented-her-aborting-planned-homicide/665400001/

He said based on all the records in the case, plus interviews and testing he did of Weier, he believes she suffered from persistent depressive disorder and schizotypy, a condition along the schizophrenia spectrum. Like the other experts, he concluded that Weier's new friendship with Geyser and the internet's power to make fantasy seem real were catalysts for the crime.
The other girl is already a diagnosed & committed schizophrenic.

Sep 24, 2008
MatParker116 said:
http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/crime/2017/09/14/2nd-expert-says-slender-man-defendants-delusion-prevented-her-aborting-planned-homicide/665400001/

He said based on all the records in the case, plus interviews and testing he did of Weier, he believes she suffered from persistent depressive disorder and schizotypy, a condition along the schizophrenia spectrum. Like the other experts, he concluded that Weier's new friendship with Geyser and the internet's power to make fantasy seem real were catalysts for the crime.

The other girl is already a diagnosed & committed schizophrenic.
For now, I acquiesce. I still do not fully believe it, but I'll admit that's to my bias and angry over my original point.

I have association with a few people who were in jail. It was actually a good thing for some of them because they were diagnosed with mental issues there that one (such as the parties that diagnosed them in jail) could say led to their diminished reasoning to commit the crimes they did.

Didn't help them a bit with lighter sentencing or serving their time. And no, they didn't look like these girls.

I will acquiesce to the findings of the court appointed expert. He has studied, he has tried cases, he simply knows more than I and he's met these girls and I got what I got from news articles I hastily looked up on the web. But I still will not stop being ticked that certain pleas will be entertained more for certain guilty parties than others.