Slender: The Arrival Leaves You With Nothing But Your Instincts

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Halfstache said:
In other semi-related news, Marble Hornets is getting an actual movie. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118066545/
Isn't that what it already is though? Just one really long horror movie? I see that it is directed by the same guy that did the Paranormal Activity films. I have a feeling the movie won't do that well.

Jun 16, 2010
Interesting side-note: It's been speculated that Slender Man was based off the 'Tall Man' character from Yahtzee's indie adventure series:

So the whole thing has kind of come full circle now that there's an article on the Escapist about it. Hm.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I'd like it if they incorporated him as a random mob into another game, one where you wouldn't expect to find him. Maybe code the game so very few players ever see him too, like the vagrant in dark souls.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
James Joseph Emerald said:
Interesting side-note: It's been speculated that Slender Man was based off the 'Tall Man' character from Yahtzee's indie adventure series:

So the whole thing has kind of come full circle now that there's an article on the Escapist about it. Hm.

Well, the tall, creepy guy in a suit is an old idea. Phantasm used the same thing and called him... uh, the Tall Man. then there was The Gaunt Man in TORG.

As I understand things Slender Man started on the Something Awful site where they were having a contest to shop creepy looking photos, one paticulaly realistic looking one captured a lot of imagination, and Slender Man was born.

It's kind of awesome that it's gone on this long, but as time goes on there seems to be an increasing tendency to turn Slendy into some kind of super-monster, when really it was an "on the fringes" thing, largely unknown because it attacked children and didn't leave anything behind, working around the fringes, which is how it survived.

I haven't checked in on Marble Hornets for a while, but as it was developing and the mythos took increasing shape I increasingly had to wonder that if Slender Man was anything like presented why it would need to hide. It's the same problem I have with a lot of horror mythologies when they go on for a while, there is a point at which it becomes hard to believe it could be kept secret, or why the creature(s) haven't just taken over the world yet. I mean strictly speaking I see no reason why the Marble Hornets version of Slenderman couldn't just waltz into The White House, gobble up Obama, and take over the country (or replace any world leader with that for that matter). Then all he'd need to do is have some kids bussed in every so often for a "meet the president field trip" and have his own little buffet. :)

At any rate, all rambling aside, the game does seem neat. I'll keep an eye on it.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Mcoffey said:
Already preordered. The beta was both beautiful and terrifying. Absolutely stoked for the final release.
I just preordered it... Dat beta. Is the full release going to have more? Because currently it just felt like the original version but with updated graphics. Not like the trailer that had more.

ClassicJokester

I Love You.
Apr 16, 2010
The Apple BOOM said:
Masky would be cool. Would also be cool if they reached out to other creepy pastas. Ug, now my mind is racing with ideas. Maybe they shouldn't have done that.
I see what you've done there.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I hope they don't go crazy and include other monsters. I mean we have the term "creepypasta" but it'd be weird if all the monsters were worked into some kind of single universe. The Slenderman mythos is getting convoluted enough with all of it's rules and roles and what not.

The Slenderman itself, in it's design and function, is a really effective boiling down of what makes us scared - it's physically imposing (cause you know, he's bigger than us), it's uncanny (unnaturally law and lanky), and it's unknown (appearing in backgrounds of photographs and in the corner of our vision). The original Slender game really got it right with it's simplicity, and I worry that adding more things in it, while not making it any less of a scary game, will ruin the whole elegance of the concept.

AngryBritishAce

Feb 19, 2010
I'm glad they're actually trying to improve it's gameplay rather than getting big headed and releasing a game that's utter fan-w**k which is basically a copy and paste of the original JUST to please fans.

The only problem I had with the game is that finding pages isn't exactly a fun task, even with Slender about waiting to get you. Puzzles and different enemies will definitely tempt me, and those environments are STUNNING.

AngryBritishAce

Feb 19, 2010
The Apple BOOM said:
Masky would be cool. Would also be cool if they reached out to other creepy pastas. Ug, now my mind is racing with ideas. Maybe they shouldn't have done that.
Oh god, don't remind me of BEN. I still get chills reading those quotes D:

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Just give me a Rake cameo somewhere, maybe it crawling away in an unreachable part of the map. But yeah, game is looking good.

I feel a little sad that people jump on Slender so often, the game was developed by one guy for the purpose of entertaining the existing fanbase, he never intended it to get as big as it did.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
sounds interesting. will keep an eye on it. but i wait first to see how much it will cost and it generally is.

Busard

Nov 17, 2009
AC10 said:
So long as they don't try to copyright slenderman as their own IP. It's clearly public domain, spawning from 4chan (namely /x/) and other sites like The SCP Foundation ( http://www.scp-wiki.net/ ).

I would just be frustrated if a company came in and thus had exclusive rights to all slender content.
Slenderman didn't originate from /x/ but from the SomethingAwful forums

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Mcoffey said:
Korten12 said:
Mcoffey said:
Already preordered. The beta was both beautiful and terrifying. Absolutely stoked for the final release.
I just preordered it... Dat beta. Is the full release going to have more? Because currently it just felt like the original version but with updated graphics. Not like the trailer that had more.
Oh yeah. The beta is just one level out of the several in the whole campaign. It's still a 5 dollar indie game, no AAA length here, but they do promise variety from the missions as well as your objectives in them. I think this will be the only level that has you collecting pages.
Cool, I will say though. Even though he beta is currently just the Eight pages with better graphics, is still scary as fuck. More so than the original.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Kalezian said:
I would LURVE it if SCP had an actual developer making their games.

yea, they are scary as fuck to begin with, but just imagine if the same production was put into them as is with The Arrival.
Work out the multitude of bugs in SCP: Containment Breach & you've got an excellent game there (right now, it's just a decent concept)

Therumancer said:
It's the same problem I have with a lot of horror mythologies when they go on for a while, there is a point at which it becomes hard to believe it could be kept secret, or why the creature(s) haven't just taken over the world yet. I mean strictly speaking I see no reason why the Marble Hornets version of Slenderman couldn't just waltz into The White House, gobble up Obama, and take over the country (or replace any world leader with that for that matter). Then all he'd need to do is have some kids bussed in every so often for a "meet the president field trip" and have his own little buffet. :)
This is actually one of the things I really enjoy about Marble Hornets & the Slenderman mythos in general. The unknown is scarier than anything we can think up.
What is the Slenderman? Where did it come from? Why does it stalk people from the shadows? Why those people? Why hide when it seems so unstoppable? What does it do with/to them?

Why doesn't it just take over the world? Well... I guess it doesn't want to, or doesn't need to. Maybe it just enjoys terrorizing random people until it tires of them or they just snap. Maybe it isn't evil at all & there's something else going on we don't know about.

It's origin & motivations are a complete mystery, which allows you to project your own fear onto it, all the while sinking deeper into paranoia, as all you really know is that it's out there... love it :)