Slender: The Arrival Leaves You With Nothing But Your Instincts

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Well, it looks pretty nice, but it might get boring after a while. I had an idea once for a horror game where you have to investigate a monster in and around a small town. The playthroughs would only be about 3 hours a time, but the twist is that it'd be a different monster each time, and details of the town and the case (and even the surroundings) would change. The big catch would be that if you died in a playthrough, then that mystery would remain unsolved. Each playthrough would also only have one save file, so you can't save-scum into finding a monster. I think that it'd make the players be a lot more cautious and make them actually fear death.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Busard said:
AC10 said:
So long as they don't try to copyright slenderman as their own IP. It's clearly public domain, spawning from 4chan (namely /x/) and other sites like The SCP Foundation ( http://www.scp-wiki.net/ ).

I would just be frustrated if a company came in and thus had exclusive rights to all slender content.
Slenderman didn't originate from /x/ but from the SomethingAwful forums
Okay, fine.
Regardless of where he originated from, my concerned about IP ownership vs. public domain still stands, yes?

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
AC10 said:
Busard said:
AC10 said:
So long as they don't try to copyright slenderman as their own IP. It's clearly public domain, spawning from 4chan (namely /x/) and other sites like The SCP Foundation ( http://www.scp-wiki.net/ ).

I would just be frustrated if a company came in and thus had exclusive rights to all slender content.
Slenderman didn't originate from /x/ but from the SomethingAwful forums
Okay, fine.
Regardless of where he originated from, my concerned about IP ownership vs. public domain still stands, yes?
The only people with a reasonable claim for copyright would be the original creator, or the Marble Hornets staff, but they have been at this for so many years without a claim that if they tried now, they'd get shut down almost immediately.

AwesomeDave

Feb 10, 2011
I don't get the appeal of Slenderman.. I found the game boring, shallow and really not scary in any sense... but to each their own I guess...

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Therumancer said:
James Joseph Emerald said:
Interesting side-note: It's been speculated that Slender Man was based off the 'Tall Man' character from Yahtzee's indie adventure series:

So the whole thing has kind of come full circle now that there's an article on the Escapist about it. Hm.

Well, the tall, creepy guy in a suit is an old idea. Phantasm used the same thing and called him... uh, the Tall Man. then there was The Gaunt Man in TORG.
The concept for a mysterious faceless man in a suit? Where have I seen that before?

1975 says hi.

Just felt I needed to point that out, it is kinda the centrepiece for my avatar and all.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Woohoo, more walking in the woods very very slowly for an hour and then suddenly dying. I'm sure Pewdiepie will be very excited. Apparently videogame horror has devolved into 14-year-olds-around-a-campfire level of stories, brought to life via shitty Unity tech demos. Pretty fucking depressing.

attackshark

Nov 16, 2010
i have a crippling phobia of the slender man, ergo i will not be purchasing/playing this game. someone tell me how it goes, though.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Mcoffey said:
Carnagath said:
Woohoo, more walking in the woods very very slowly for an hour and then suddenly dying. I'm sure Pewdiepie will be very excited. Apparently videogame horror has devolved into 14-year-olds-around-a-campfire level of stories, brought to life via shitty Unity tech demos. Pretty fucking depressing.
And your definition of a good horror game would be what, oh master of the art form?
I tend to enjoy stuff like characters, a story, a variety of environments, a degree of pacing, you know... I'm weird like that.

Boogie Knight

Oct 17, 2011
Can't we all just be grateful that someone is at least trying to make a horror game and not just a dumb shooter with monsters? I hope it turns out to be really good, but even if it's just average or even mediocre I might be able to overlook the flaws and enjoy getting a little horror in a videogame.