Slender: The Arrival Review - Short and Scary

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Slender: The Arrival Review - Short and Scary

Short in length, but not in scares.

Read Full Article

DeadCoyote

Feb 1, 2011
That trick with the credits was awesome! Nice review. =)

p.s.: also my captcha for this post was "be careful". Lol. I wonder if i should prepare myself for some nightma

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I paid like 6 bucks for this. Haven't had the opportunity to play through it yet (only the first two levels), but I'm looking forward to it. And I doubt I wasted my money, at least based on what I've seen so far. This review helps. :)

And yes, I, too, saw what you did there. :-D

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
looks more interesting than the original, but i found the whole being stalked thing got really old in the first one, but i may try this one out. on a side note i wonder if the "marble hornets" guy is involved at all, see as far as i can see the slender man thing came from his videos.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
wolf thing said:
looks more interesting than the original, but i found the whole being stalked thing got really old in the first one, but i may try this one out. on a side note i wonder if the "marble hornets" guy is involved at all, see as far as i can see the slender man thing came from his videos.
They were. In quite a big way actually. They wrote the story.

Good review, now that we've got a good set of mechanics down, it'll be interesting to see what they'll do for future games (because they're coming. They are coming.)

Newtonyd

Apr 30, 2011
wolf thing said:
Technically they didn't invent Slender Man. It started as a creepypasta thing from somethingawful.com and moved around since then. Marble Hornets was one of the early adopters of the legend, and one of the first (not sure if ACTUALLY the first) video series on it. And their take on the Slender Man is one of my favorites.

Anyway, this game was great. Can't wait to see what Mark Hadley (who developed the original Slender) and the rest can do next.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
I haven't beaten it yet but played more than an hour for sure. On the third level. It is really hard at times, but also really really tense. I can barely play more than a level at a time before having to walk away.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
So two questions: #1 Where does one buy the game? Not on steam and i refuse Origin. I assume from the Dev's website, but is that it?
#2 What did he do in the credits? I am fine with spoilers i just want to know :p

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
AgentLampshade said:
wolf thing said:

Good review, now that we've got a good set of mechanics down, it'll be interesting to see what they'll do for future games (because they're coming. They are coming.)
Thats good know, those videos were very scary

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
Newtonyd said:
wolf thing said:
Technically they didn't invent Slender Man. It started as a creepypasta thing from somethingawful.com and moved around since then. Marble Hornets was one of the early adopters of the legend, and one of the first (not sure if ACTUALLY the first) video series on it. And their take on the Slender Man is one of my favorites.

Anyway, this game was great. Can't wait to see what Mark Hadley (who developed the original Slender) and the rest can do next.

cool thanks for that, always good to more thing, no matter what the subject

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
AgentLampshade said:
wolf thing said:
This. Troy "Jay" Wagner, Joseph "Alex" Delange, and Tim "Tim" Sutton.

I'm on the fence about getting this, really. Still not my sort of game, but....

Timzilla

Mar 26, 2010
Newtonyd said:
wolf thing said:

Yes, actually. Marble hornets was the first Slenderman video series ever made.(the intro video was posted like a week after the original Something Awful post)

OT: Yeah, this game is pretty good. The ending is kind of "meh", but it works for a horror game. Probably going to lead up to a sequel. Can't wait to see whats up next.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Nice touch with the credits there. :D

I dread the influx of crappy Let's Play's on YouTube after this is released(?).

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
I can't wait to LP this on my channel. Just kidding. Still trying to get through metal gear rising and deadly premonition. I'd love to play this though, especially after the review.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
PunkRex said:
I guess it was bring your kid to work day for Slender dad.
That wasn't Slender's kid. That was Jeff the Killer! He does look off though. Slender must have "got" him, I guess.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
The kid is commonly called 'Masky' and is considered a proxy for Slender. (Although I do wonder if Masky is entirely for or against Slender.)

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
Watching that review was intense already for me. Something about being defenseless, having to search for things in the woods, and having something stalk you without making noise scares the crap out of me. I'll admit, I am really good at playing games that deal with horror but this- is a first I am scared to try out. Crap haven't felt that in a long time.

Nice review by the way!
You bet.

Resident Evil?, pffff, I have my pistol & knife, Silent Hill?, pffff, I have my pipe and sometimes my pistol, Dead Space?, pffff, I have my Plasma Cutter that rarely runs out of ammo, but this and Amnesia... good God, I seriously can't even think about playing them without some bodily fluid making it's way to my underwear :S

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
What about Fatal Frame?

You got a camera and...that's about it.