Slick Fan Film Puts Dark Twist on Portal

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Slick Fan Film Puts Dark Twist on Portal

Chell? Bah! Chell had it easy compared to this poor woman.

Portal was so funny, that it's very easy to forget that it had a dark side too, but spend a few minutes watching Portal: No Escape, and you'll never forget again.

No Escape is technically a fan film, but it clearly has some money behind it, and it's stuffed with industry professionals. The film is the work of director and video podcast host Dan Trachtenberg, and tells the story of a woman, played by actress Danielle Ryan, taken - presumably against her will - and locked away in a bare, featureless cell, seemingly with no way out. To go into any more detail would spoil things, but suffice to say that portals are involved.

The film is quite a different interpretation of the game, and while purists might complain that it lacks the whimsy, not to mention the murderous AI, that made Portal itself so wonderful, it's hard to look at No Escape and not be a little bit impressed. It reminds me a little of Mortal Kombat: Rebirth [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101195-Mystery-Mortal-Kombat-Trailer-Will-Blow-You-Away] - another radically different take on a videogame franchise - although I'd be surprised if No Escape inspires a spin-off web series.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
How the hell can you put a dark spin on a game that revolves around the main theme of forcefull imprisonment and slavery of humans by a homocidal AI hellbound on torturing them in order to forward the cause of "Science"

Feb 13, 2008
Damn, she's ripped.

I'm assuming all you PC gamers have played The Stanley Parable [http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-stanley-parable] by now? Similar concept, played in a very different way.

Feb 9, 2011
Hmm, it's pretty to look at, but it seems to not have functional sound for me. I'm not sure why that is, since I just checked my speakers via iTunes...Hmmm, no fair. :<

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
Dr. Pepper Unlimited said:
Hmm, it's pretty to look at, but it seems to not have functional sound for me. I'm not sure why that is, since I just checked my speakers via iTunes...Hmmm, no fair. :<
Sound works for me, Might be something up with your browser?

Feb 9, 2011
Ruairi iliffe said:
Dr. Pepper Unlimited said:
Sound works for me, Might be something up with your browser?
Odd. Seems my sound died out for everything now. D;

...debugging time!

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Damn, she's ripped.

I'm assuming all you PC gamers have played The Stanley Parable [http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-stanley-parable] by now? Similar concept, played in a very different way.
My brother has, I haven't bothered yet. I have played Dear Esther though, which inspired it. Nothing like a fantastic narrative to immerse you in an experience.

OT: I saw this on reddit, where I see everything before it's anywhere else on the internet. But it's nice to see it getting more attention, as it's clearly deserving of praise.

Feb 13, 2008
Mr Thin said:
My brother has, I haven't bothered yet. I have played Dear Esther though, which inspired it. Nothing like a fantastic narrative to immerse you in an experience.
I see it's getting re-made [http://www.thechineseroom.co.uk/] with the upgraded Source engine as well. Thanks for the tip though.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Portal wasn't a cheerful birthday party with cake.
It had the main protagonist, a captive in a laboratory acting like a mouse for the enjoyment of her tester, the main Antagonist and comtroller of the facility, GLADoS - A murderous AI that NEEDS to test things.

Mar 9, 2010
I call shenanigans. She didn't have the leg braces needed to survive the force from that final jump scene, she would have broken legs.

It's still pretty awesome though, although I don't really see what it affects or what it's meant to add to the story of Portal as it is now.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
The Unworthy Gentleman said:
I call shenanigans. She didn't have the leg braces needed to survive the force from that final jump scene, she would have broken legs.

It's still pretty awesome though, although I don't really see what it affects or what it's meant to add to the story of Portal as it is now.
Not necessarily. If she used all of the momentum making the jump, she could have landed just as the forward momentum was wearing off, making it a relatively soft landing. Still, looks a bit iffy, and you'd have to be desperate/crazy-brave to test the theory without leg-braces, but I'd imagine she was.
Not sure if it's meant to "add" anything, possibly just tell a cool story withing an existing universe.

Skalman

Jul 29, 2008
I don't know why people keep saying it's bad. Take it for what it is, a fan movie.

I for one, loved it, and there was some really nice effects to boot.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Huh, that's pretty cool. I don't think it's meant to add anything, just a bit of fan art you could say.

Feb 13, 2008
Mr Thin said:
I have played Dear Esther though, which inspired it. Nothing like a fantastic narrative to immerse you in an experience.
Having just played it, I'm sort of reminded of the Malkavian primogen in Bloodlines. I'd rate Stanley over Esther, but that's possibly because I'm a K fan. (Trying not to spoil)

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
was really well made. but i still ask my self how she found out by looking at the lines to find the portal gun. but well, it was clear to see it was a fan made movie. very well done and she looks really fit. wish my wife could do that.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
Mr Thin said:
I have played Dear Esther though, which inspired it. Nothing like a fantastic narrative to immerse you in an experience.
Having just played it, I'm sort of reminded of the Malkavian primogen in Bloodlines. I'd rate Stanley over Esther, but that's possibly because I'm a K fan. (Trying not to spoil)
Well I'd best get my ass in gear and play the Parable, then, hadn't I.

Feb 13, 2008
Mr Thin said:
Mr Thin said:
Well I'd best get my ass in gear and play the Parable, then, hadn't I.
Let us know what you think :)