Slightly crazy mathmatical stuff

not_the_dm

Aug 5, 2009
Sorry if this has already been done but I couldn't find anything like it using the search bar so don't kill me. Basically I'm going to put up some odd shit that comes from maths, physics or whatever. You guys can comment on my oddness, the theories and proofs or add your own. So, here we go.

Circles and infinities:

Imagine a circle. Now, as we know, a circle has an infinate numer of lines of symetry, and these lines run from one side of the circle to the other, passing through the center. Now make the circle bigger. As the lines themselves have not moved they are now an infentesimaly short distance apart at the circumference. If you were to continue making the circle bigger the lines get further and further apart. Basically, infinity is not enough. Of course this assumes that circles can even exist. Which they can't. And here's why;

The definition of a circle is an infinate number of points equidistant about a fixed point in two dimentions. Now as by definition a point in space has to take up some room you would need and infinate circumference to fit all the points on. As C=2ðr the radius must also be infinate. If it has an infinate radius then it must be an infinately long straight line, but as all the points are equidistant from a fixed point the ininately long straight line has to meet itself without curving as it is a straight line. But because all things in existance are effected by gravity and have their own gravitational fields, even light, the line would be curved by it's very exsitance.

And Finally 1=2
a = b
a^2 = a*b
a^2-b^2 = a*b-b^2
(a+b)(a-b) = b(a-b)
(a+b) = b
a+a = a
2a = a
2 = 1

[sub][sub]you can have a cookie if you can work out what is wrong with the 2=1 proof.[/sub][/sub]

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I thought that the definition of a circle is that it's a round thingy.

Apparently I was wrong.

not_the_dm

Aug 5, 2009
If a = b then a^2 must equal a*b
a^2 is a*a which is identical to a*b
Edit: Noted and excused my fishy friend.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
not_the_dm said:
Multiplying by zero make anything equal. Observe: 10000 x 0 = 1 x 0

Your proof means nothing.

EDIT: DAMN IT! Ninja'd.

e^i-pi = -1

Or so xkcd tells me. I'm terrible at math.

not_the_dm

Aug 5, 2009
CoverYourHead said:
not_the_dm said:
Dividing and multiplying by zero make anything equal. Observe: 10000 x 0 = 1 x 0

e^i-pi = -1

Dividing by zero is impossible. It's basically sharing 3 marbles between 0 people including your self. It doesn't work, you either remove the marbles from ever existing or create an infinate number of marbles. Or both...

e^i-ð does indeed equal -1. its one of the fundamental laws of maths

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
not_the_dm said:
*Epic Cookie*
No. NO. NO!

The deliciousness! The... the calories! Must not ruin physique! Must. Not. Fall. Victim. To. Temp-

*munch-munch-munch*

Damn it!

*omnomnomnom*

*sob*

*lick*

*sob*

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
lol after looking at both the top and bottom I'm like well since this is not true then the answer must not be true either... so wait if false = false isn't that true? :p

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
not_the_dm said:
...by definition a point in space has to take up some room...
No it doesn't. In fact, by definition, a point doesn't take up space.

not_the_dm said:
And Finally 1=2
a = b
a^2 = a*b
a^2-b^2 = a*b-b^2
(a+b)(a-b) = b(a-b)
(a+b) = b
a+a = a
2a = a
2 = 1

[sub][sub]you can have a cookie if you can work out what is wrong with the 2=1 proof.[/sub][/sub]
Well, your flaw is in the fifth step. Since a = b, (a-b) = 0, and that step reads "(a+b)*0 = (b)*0". This is true. However, as has been mentioned, you can't divide by zero to factor it out. If you could, a shorter version of this non-proof could read:

a = b
0*a = 0*b
0*a*2 = 0*b
a*2 = b
2 = 1

Dividing by zero is mathematically impossible and will naturally create invalid answers.

not_the_dm

Aug 5, 2009
Damn it... This is becomeing expensive... or would be if they were physical cookies that I went out and bought.

*by an infinity for all those who work it out by themselves

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
not_the_dm said:
CoverYourHead said:
not_the_dm said:
Dividing and multiplying by zero make anything equal. Observe: 10000 x 0 = 1 x 0

e^i-pi = -1

Dividing by zero is impossible. It's basically sharing 3 marbles between 0 people including your self. It doesn't work, you either remove the marbles from ever existing or create an infinate number of marbles. Or both...

e^i-ð does indeed equal -1. its one of the fundamental laws of maths
Apologies, I wasn't paying close enough attention. It has been fixed.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I'm no mathematician, but as far as I know infinity*2 is still infinity. If there is an infinite number of lines of symmetry and the space between them is infinitely small, it will still be so when the circle becomes twice as large. Also, an infinitely large collection of infinitely small points can still be of finite length.

Mar 9, 2009
YOU CAN'T DIVIDE BY A-B IF A=B CAUSE THEN YOU WOULD BE DIVIDING BY ZERO! OOOGA BOOGA BOOGA BOO!

Either that, or division by zero equals infinity, in which case two infinity would equal one infinity. I think that division by zero does equal infinity, but from a practical sense it might as well be naught.

And I think, according to the very same xkcd comic, that its e^((pi)*(i)) = -1, not e^((pi)-(i)) = -1.

Parentheses make everything illegible!

and for those of you who want to know why that is true, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler%27s_formula

It doesn't actually explained much, but I'm you all are smart enough cookies to figure it out.

Soluncreed

Sep 24, 2009
Aren't there different sizes of infinity? If you have a gumball machine and for every one you take out you put two in and you do this infinitely then you have an infinite amount of gumballs and two times infinity gumballs in the gumball machine. So there is infinity, just different degrees of it.

not_the_dm

Aug 5, 2009
Soluncreed said:
Aren't there different sizes of infinity? If you have a gumball machine and for every one you take out you put two in and you do this infinitely then you have an infinite amount of gumballs and two times infinity gumballs in the gumball machine. So there is infinity, just different degrees of it.
If I remember rightly the original proof for that uses men buying goats at a market but I can never remember it all...