Slow-Mo Decapitations Earn Skyrim an M Rating

EXos

Nov 24, 2009
The Great JT said:
Elder Scrolls V gets an M rating...and we wouldn't want it any other way.
AMEN!!!!

I want a game that has earned that 18+ (or whatever it is. Though I'm from The Netherlands that means it only gets a 12+ here :p ) It means a game without censorship which I like Very much.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
I hope Skyrim take some slow motion decapitation tips from Eddie Riggs, because as far as I know, he is the master.

*ahem*

J4RD

I didn't pay for this?
Jan 4, 2010
Yada yada, Decapitations. No more beating someone into cardiac arrest? Sold. Put me down for another pre-order.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
If they stick to their guns and dont nerf the game for a lower rating then bethesda will get a lot of respect, even though they might lose some sales.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Well I'm over 17 so, meh to the ruling but YAY to decap!

Hope too many people don't :| 8| Lose their heads!

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
UnderCoverGuest said:
I'm guessing they will treat it the same way they did Fallout, ie. only the final kill will get a slow-mo effect and only if the option is turned on in the settings. no big deal :)

And I'm neither surprised or bothered by this news, because I'm in England where it's a 15 anyway.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
imnotparanoid said:
So its a 15 in England and a M (17) in the US?

Or a 15 AND a M(17) ?
OH GOD WHY DO THEY USE SO MANY RATINGS BOARDS!
I don't quite understand what you are asking/shouting about here? You are wondering why different nations have different organisations for classifying video game content?

EDIT: Reading the guy below me I guess maybe you are asking about PEGI/BBFC. PEGI is the industry rating system like the American ESRB, it is completely voluntary and no one pays any attention to it whatsoever. BBFC is the statutory regulatory body, they generally rate games at a 15 or 18 if they are particularly violent and their rulings are enforced by law.

Jacob Haggarty

Sep 1, 2010
imnotparanoid said:

Or a 15 AND a M(17) ?
It won't be the same in england. Lowest it will get landed with is a 16 (pretty much pegi's answer to 'mature') but could easily get into the eighteen teritory.

Not that it matters to me. This is going to be one of the first of many games i can legally buy, as i turn eighteen very soon!

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
scumofsociety said:
imnotparanoid said:

Or a 15 AND a M(17) ?
I don't quite understand what you are asking/shouting about here? You are wondering why different nations have different organisations for classifying video game content?

EDIT: Reading the guy below me I guess maybe you are asking about PEGI/BBFC. PEGI is the industry rating system like the American ESRB, it is completely voluntary and no one pays any attention to it whatsoever. BBFC is the statutory regulatory body, they generally rate games at a 15 or 18 if they are particularly violent and their rulings are enforced by law.
Well I was wondering which one England has, because soemtimes we go for the BBFC (15) and soemtimes we go for the ESRB, soemtimes both! which makes things confusing as hell for me XD

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
imnotparanoid said:
Well I was wondering which one England has, because soemtimes we go for the BBFC (15) and soemtimes we go for the ESRB, soemtimes both! which makes things confusing as hell for me XD
We don't use ESRB, we use PEGI. As I said, PEGI is the industry voluntary rating, all games get rated under that usually, however some games are deemed realistic enough and have enough adult themes that they have to be submitted to the BBFC for certification, much like a film would. If given a BBFC certificate this automatically overrides a PEGI rating as the BBFC is a statutory body (i.e. they are legally enforable, you sell a BBFC rated 18 to 16 year old and you are breaking the law, sell a PEGI 18 to 16 year old and at worst your boss might tell you off), so if it's rated by the BBFC most won't bother with a PEGI rating as well.

The criteria for whether it has to be submitted for BBFC classification or not are a bit vague but generally if there's blood and guts done in a realistic manner it has to be submitted. It used to be that anything with pre rendered CGI had to be submitted but graphics have evolved to the point where that's obsolete. Often companies will submit games to the BBFC before release as it will cost them fuckloads if they release it and then get told it has to be rated and of course putting a 15 or 18 on a game will help it sell.

Anyways, Skyrim gets a 15 from the BBFC, that's all you need to know, any PEGI rating is irrelevant.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Crono1973 said:
UnderCoverGuest said:
The ESRB may think that slow-motion brutal melee combat finishers deserve an M rating, but I think slow-motion brutal melee combat finishers deserve a slap across the lead designer's balls to remind him how bloody annoying it is to be in the middle of a fierce fight between a horde of skeletons and zombies and have time speeding up and slowing down like an obsessive compulsive man fast-forwarding a video.
Agreed, we don't need VATS or anything like it in TES. I hope that can be turned off.
I think it's optional guys, you have to hold down the button to do it or something like that. So calm down. I know that TES is traditionally a hack-n-slash and is more about the story than the combat, but I for one am happy to see a little bit of spice added to the formula. It doesn't have to be God of War or anything, but tapping the attack button a hundred times to slowly lower a red bar does tend to get old after a while.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Im actually glad this game has decapitations in it, it will add to the realism of hitting them with a claymore in the face, in oblivion whatever you did the enemy would just fall onto the floor like they had been punched, i could of used a spell that pretty much bought the apocalypse and everyone would just fall down like their legs just gave way instead of a load of melting eviscerated, mutilated piles of goo like it should of done.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Mike Kayatta said:
"As players engage in melee-style combat, some sequences are highlighted by slow-motion effects, particularly for decapitations," the official report reads. "Large blood-splatter effects also occur during combat, and some environments are stained with blood or body parts (e.g., heads impaled on spikes). Some sequences allow players to injure/kill non-adversary characters, including prisoners chained to a wall; they scream in pain amid splashes of blood or fire."
I couldn't help but read this with the voice of Eric Idle in the back of my head.

"It contains scenes of violence involving people's heads and arms getting chopped off, their ears nailed to trees, and their toenails pulled out in slow-motion. There's also scenes of naked women with floppy breasts."

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Well good. At least they don't need to cut back on anything in order to produce the game. I'm frickin 24, these things don't make a bit of difference.