Slow-Mo Decapitations Earn Skyrim an M Rating

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
ike42 said:
Wait a minute, there were sexual themes in Oblivion? You could have fooled me.

Excuse me while i leave this here

Stupid image..thingy. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/maidx.jpg

Oblivion HAD sexual themes. You just had to ah...look for them.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
As much as I'm looking forward to November 11, I'm not looking forward to having that inevitable day-long erection.

ike42

Feb 25, 2009
Versuvius said:
ike42 said:
Wait a minute, there were sexual themes in Oblivion? You could have fooled me.

Excuse me while i leave this here

Stupid image..thingy. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/maidx.jpg

Oblivion HAD sexual themes. You just had to ah...look for them.
Bah, that doesn't count.

iamnotincompliance

Apr 23, 2008
dessertmonkeyjk said:
"While the ESRB had initially rated the game T, some nudie mod skins soon caused it to overturn its initial decision and demand that Bethesda re-label new and existing Oblivion game boxes with an M."

Wait, they're rating a game based on mods now? There goes "Online experience not rated by ESRB" statement.
I see I'm not the only one who caught that.

No, much like the "Hot Coffee" hoopla surrounding GTA: San Andreas, the nude Oblivion skins were made by Bethesda and shipped on every disk. The only way you could access the nude skins (or Hot Coffee) was mods, but that's not how the ESRB rolls. They rate based on the content of the disk, and neither Bethesda nor Rockstar informed the ESRB of this inaccessible content. Once it was discovered, then we had the re-ratings, the news media not shutting up, concerned parents crying "Won't somebody please think of the children?" (even though shouldn't be playing these games, that's why there are ratings in the first place, but that's a whole other rant)... you know, the same shit that happens every time. The hell of it is, in this lapsed forum goer's opinion, is that both Hot Coffee and the official Oblivion nude skins weren't good. I actually deleted Hot Coffee within half an hour of downloading.

As for Skyrim, all I care about is my open world pseudo-medieval RPG. Decapitations, sex, and alcohol are superfluous fluff on top of that, and since I'm 25, 26 by the time this comes out, I don't have to care what the ESRB says anyway.

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
I just whipped a chained-up ho today all thanks to Skyrim.

But seriously, if you're a long-time fan of TES, chances are you're already well past 17. Bethesda's fanbase only gets larger with each iteration due simply to population growth and PC proliferation. Yesterday's T-rated gamers are today's M rated gamers. So the rating means nothing. Any parent who has a child young enough to need permission likely grew up around computers so would be buying the game anyway.

lady man lady

Apr 1, 2011
Nitro_Hedgehog said:
Rated M? Good. I don't want it to be rated anything else.
same here. i would play it if it was teen, but i would always have the feeling like content was being held back, even if it wasn't, and that would make my playtime just slightly less fun.

Little2Raph

Aug 27, 2011
Soooo. . .I guess it'll be banned in Australia then. . .

I hope not - I'm already imagining my mighty Nord quaffing ale, swiving wenches and going medieval with my mighty sword. . .

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
It ain't a Bethesda game until somebody's head is coming off, and it takes sixty seconds.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Wait .. I thought the ESRB backflip on Oblivion's rating was due to the Dark Brotherhood quests which they were unaware of, and not some nudie crap?

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
scumofsociety said:
EDIT: Reading the guy below me I guess maybe you are asking about PEGI/BBFC. PEGI is the industry rating system like the American ESRB, it is completely voluntary and no one pays any attention to it whatsoever. BBFC is the statutory regulatory body, they generally rate games at a 15 or 18 if they are particularly violent and their rulings are enforced by law.
PEGI is going to be overtaking the BBFC in the UK in terms of being the legally enforceable rating for games, but the date isn't set yet (See this [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pegi-plans-postponed-until-september]).

If no-one pays attention to PEGI, they're an idiot.

Vapus

May 15, 2010
LOL marketing .. Controversy sells.. And to me its still just yet another multiport piece of regurgitated Crap from bethesda..

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
coldalarm said:
PEGI is going to be overtaking the BBFC in the UK in terms of being the legally enforceable rating for games, but the date isn't set yet (See this [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pegi-plans-postponed-until-september]).

If no-one pays attention to PEGI, they're an idiot.
Shit. Doesn't really concern me as I'm neither a retailer or under 18 but making PEGI legally enforceable is just pointless, the 15 and 18 ratings from the BBFC are fine. Just to nit pick though, until it is enshrined in law they are free to ignore it, although it would be wise to pay attention to the news for the date on which it will be.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
i just love those quotes with "..." in middle. that is so informative! it gives us so much context! i bet i could edit any political (or even non-political, go figure!) statement of any party into "I...suck....you....know....what."

but in all seriousness - i see that as a good thing. as long as they wont overdo it, because thats one easy way to make game juvenile. tes was (imho) never meant to be non-mature.....

besides, im already hyped for skyrim. i loved morrowind i loved oblivion, nothing they can possibly say is going to make me stop my plans of getting that game. unless...... no. no no no, im not giving them ideas...

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
scumofsociety said:
Shit. Doesn't really concern me as I'm neither a retailer or under 18 but making PEGI legally enforceable is just pointless, the 15 and 18 ratings from the BBFC are fine. Just to nit pick though, until it is enshrined in law they are free to ignore it, although it would be wise to pay attention to the news for the date on which it will be.
As far as I'm aware, PEGI will be replacing the BBFC for games. The BBFC will then continue to rate films and DVDs. It frees up the BBFC and allows PEGI to rate what they know, i.e. games.

Makes a lot more sense to me.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Yokai said:
MrDeckard said:
Wait......... Oblivion had Language?????????

OT: Sexual Themes and Dismemberment? Sounds great!
I assume the language refers to that one Argonian and his talk of powdered deer penis. Which the ESRB doubtless considers inappropriate for children.
Don't forget the one Dunmer lady asking about the fines for necrophilia.