Smell-O-Vision Possible Thanks to Science

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Didn't they actually create a Smell-O-Vision long ago?

Like... in the 50s? And if I recall that didn't last very long.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Denamic said:
josemlopes said:
Denamic said:
Queue waste processing plant level.
Or a sewer.
I'm not really that excited about this, at all.
But that would be awesome, imagine that in a game like Elder Scrolls (it doesnt really matter but go with it) you find a dungeon and it smells terrible, while you know that there might be something there you will think twice before going there. Your character may be strong enough to take care of the monsters but you will be fighting yourself to handle the smell. They could have some special items to protect you from those smells.

It would be cool to immerse yourself and I would like that they didnt abuse it to avoid making games unplayable(the case that I described would be good to abuse since it would repel the player from the dungeon until he had the item).

OT: Does it mean that I would have to buy the solutions to fill those pockets if it runs out? Also, does it run out? That is very important for what it is, it would be cool for games but for the TV it sucks.
I don't know about you, but the game trying to put me off with a stench is the opposite of immersion, if you ask me.
Well, if it was a game like Call of Duty or other linear game with an entire sewer level than they should tone it down a lot. It shouldnt force the player to take the smell. In the way that I described you could avoid the smell with the said item.

Sidrat

Jan 18, 2011
Why is adding an extra sense to gaming a bad thing? We've got sight and sound already, I would have thought touch would be next but who knew!

Getting rid of smell I would really hope they're not launching a perfume like waft of particles in to your gaming room and using a different method. Getting rid of the previous smell could be done using the odour eater sprays that exist already.

Adding the sense of smell would I believe make it even more immersive and I agree with the above poster that having to walk through dungeons/sewers while playing the game and smelling the surroundings would make it harder/realistic, and as long as there's an off switch or even better a modulator to reduce the strength should it be needed.

Playing a sweaty sports game or a racing game wouldn't actually have any detractors if it featured smell would it?

Yoshisummons

Aug 10, 2010
It's like Mike Rowe from Dirty Job's dream can now eventually become a reality.

So is this why Avatar II is taking so long to come out.

Lumzdas

Mar 14, 2011
You know how they have the "probe the whole car" thing in Forza 4? This would be perfect for it: imagine buying a new car, going inside and smelling the brand new leather... Then again, I don't think I could put up with disgusting smells much.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
The saddest thing is that Good Eats is over.

For those of you who know what I'm talking about, this is a great lost oppurtunity.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Wait, so that means they're going to have to attach smell recording devices to their equipment.

I'm not even sure how that would work.