Smell of videogames

Godsfists

Mar 31, 2011
Am i the only psycho out there who has the smell of autumn leaves remind me of Sonic 2; the smell of video-club beer-smoke mix make me think of Mortal Kombat; going into a book store, with the scent of fresh press making me think of Silent Hill????
Are you guys experiencing smell-games associations too?? Or is my life scarred by this childish associative thinking?

OctalLord

May 20, 2010
You're not alone actually, after I had to spend hours in a waiting room(Diabetic family member getting a transplant meant alot of sitting and waiting for me while we waited for it.) made it so the smell and sounds of alot of people sitting together makes me think of my handheld games. (since they wouldn't let me plug my console into the T.V. *Shakes fist*) Mostly Mario&Luigi Superstar Saga in particular though.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Video games are virtual experiences that don't actually produce any olfactory sensations. You might want to go see a doctor. You could be having a stroke.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
BloatedGuppy said:
Video games are virtual experiences that don't actually produce any olfactory sensations. You might want to go see a doctor. You could be having a stroke.
Clearly you console plebs haven't experienced the wonders of true PC gaming. Smell-o-vision. Only the most cutting edge machines can support such technological wonders.

Sep 14, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
this.

unless i had an immense event happen while i was playing a specific game (got a steak dinner delivered to me, had sex while playing games, sharted by mistake) i'm not going to associate any smell with a game.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Eh, not really.

BUT.

The smell of a new game manual, and the smell of new electronics.

Them's pretty bitchin'

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
BloatedGuppy said:
Video games are virtual experiences that don't actually produce any olfactory sensations.
To be fair, it is possible to smell my games. But if I did, I'll be panicking. It would mean my PC is on fire. Literally.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Not especially although I often don't find replaying certain games in a different season as good. I will only play SMT:Nocturne in summer at night as otherwise it feels wrong. Equally it needs to be cold for me to play Symphony of the Night.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Nah you're not crazy. The smell of fresh wood furniture and paint reminds me of when I started WoW back in 04 and moved into my apartment. Give me a room with fresh wood and paint and i'll nostalgia so hard.

Also, 2000th post YAAAAAAY

Full

Sep 3, 2012
I smell new game boxes. That counts, I guess.

I just love the smell of new ink. Why must you leave me instruction manuals, why?

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
At first I thought you meant opening the games and smelling them. I do that whenever I get new games to verify their newness (compared to gamestop "new")

[small]I-I'm not weird or anything.[/small]

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I do that, and I'll associate certain smells with experiences I've had, if there was a strong smell of paint the first time I played a game for a few hours, the next time I smelled that paint I'd think of the game.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Jynthor said:
Nothing beats the smell of new Magic: The Gathering cards.
This is true.

Newly printed pen & paper hardcovers smell good too.

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
I have 0 idea why, but when its cold and crisp in the morning and there are some patches of snow on the ground, but its not covered in snow I must think of Age of Empires 2 for some reason. Lost of maps feature autumn trees and patches of snow so I guess thats why. So yes, I know what you mean, still weird though.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
Nooo....but i am quite jealous now that I have not experienced such immersion that it will manifest itself in smell.

I have dreamed about games, being in games...when i was into Dance dance revolution i used to see arrows when i closed my eyes...but nope..i didn't smell anything

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
The only one... smell of autumn, first act of Diablo 2.
Other than that, I don't think I have any other.

As a side note, I miss small text windows that told you what the world smelled like, etc. (See Fallout 1&2 for example)

Mr Binary

Jan 24, 2011
Smells don't really remind me of games, but a lot of visual queues do. I've spent most of my life playing video games, so it makes sense that I'd affiliate visual things with good memories of various games. You may just do the same with a scent you imagined the game to have... like the Sonic 2 situation. I don't know how fresh press is a queue for Silent Hill though....