Smile and Nod: GTA 4: The Best Game I've Ever Played

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Smile and Nod: GTA 4: The Best Game I've Ever Played

I have to admit to a certain reticence when it comes to praising games. Like most writers, I can usually find something not to like about a game, and those bits usually make the best copy. But 30 hours into Grand Theft Auto IV I can easily say it's my main contender for Game of the Year. Hell, it's in the running for Game of the Decade. I'd even go so far as to say it's the best game I've ever played.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Nice article! To answer your question I won't bring GTA IV to a deserted island. Instead, I would bring something with much more replay value, like a Sims 4 or a SimCity or something that is open ended and not story driven like GTA IV. Yeah, the open world is cool...for a while, until you know every nook and cranny there is in Liberty City. This was my main point in uninstalling San Andreas a while back. When I loaded the game the 1000th time, I knew the story from heart, I mastered every vechicle there is in the game, I found every collectible, every hidden spot... I 100%-ed the game, and there was nothing for me to do in San Andreas anymore. This is problem with the GTA series. For a while (60-100 hours) you get so hooked up, your momma would be cryin', but after that, it's cut, it's nothing, like after a movie, the credits come up, and it's over...

At least this is my opinion.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I don't like it when reviewers bring up the "go buy it now"-line. It feels manipulative, creates an air of salesperson around the reviewer and I can't help becoming suspicious of every review where it appears.

Don't tell me what I should buy. Just tell me if the game is any good.

purple_haze

Dec 25, 2007
I've only played the first couple of hours of the game at a friends house and I liked it, but it didn't seem as mind blowing as the reviews might make me think (luckily I hadn't ready any so I didn't expect much). My problem with the reviews though, is more to do with how people usually review games, saying things like "Its a refined version of the old game and there isn't much new" and even if it does that flawlessly, like this game supposedly does, they give it a 9 out of 10. I just don't see what about this game is so different to the games that get so slammed for repeating a tried and true formula yet this one gets 10/10 from almost everyone. It probably deserves it, but not when I look at what reviews usually do.

eggdog14

Oct 17, 2007
sammyfreak said:
Probably the best written review i have seen for the game so far.
Agreed. Not so much a love letter to rockstar as many of them are, but a genuine description of how excellent the game is. Very similar to the way i feel about the game; i'm desperately searching to find something i genuinely don't like about it- and failing.

Great review, great read.

grenideer

Dec 12, 2007
I am about 6-8 hours in and I do not see what all the raving is about yet. I think I fall into the category of being a series newbie and not understanding all there is to do. All I know is most of the things I try to do aren't doable, you can't go in any of the buildings, you can't start a dialog with random people on the street. And I disagree that the activities aren't heavy handed. So far I am told every step of the way what to do. Granted, I have choices, but it just seems like the whole game is driving around following the radar line. Not that fun so far but there are flashes of brilliance mixed in the tedium. I know it will get better at some point.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Great read Russ, as always. I can't wait to get this game, from what I've heard.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
I'm trying to but it Russ. Believe me. I have enough games to trade in for it but I just need to get to the game stores!

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
PurpleRain said:
I'm trying to but it Russ. Believe me. I have enough games to trade in for it but I just need to get to the game stores!
You're a lousy liar Rain. I suppose the dog ate the game store, too?

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Saskwach said:
PurpleRain said:
You're a lousy liar Rain. I suppose the dog ate the game store, too?
I, ah... I swear wizards did it. Thousands of them!

sharp_as_a_cork

Oct 12, 2006
In a wild departure from what is typical for me, I'll bring up the graphics issue.
I watched a friend play for about 10 minutes on his Xbox 360 and I was very underwhelmed by GTA4's graphics. I have seen better graphics on the PC 2 years ago, but I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. Is everyone simply overwhelmed by the gameplay suddenly?
Possibly, either the 360 has some graphic tweaking options which weren't used (which I don't believe) or the PS3 version is vastly superior and that is what people are talking about.
Which is it?

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
I think the reason people arent complaining is because the game is so huge that i could not possibly look any better.

Ares Draxus

May 6, 2008
GTA4 is not the best game I have played, but it is definitely in my top 10. I much prefer Mass Effect over GTA4 but it has booted Jade Empire out of the top ten. So far it is my 5th favorite game of all time. I enjoyed the article, though. :)

jlaakso

Jul 14, 2006
It looks good, but not mind-blowingly so. It's more a case of there being so much. For instance, the buildings are not cloned and there is a lot of traffic and pedestrians, the draw distance is vast, the lighting is always great, no matter the time of day... The animation is great and they have their visual style down in an impeccable fashion. There is nothing out of order here. Granted, I'd like the frame rate to be more consistent, but that's about it.

mitsoxfan

Feb 12, 2008
Right off the bat I have to disagree with his comparison to Bioshock. Albeit it was simply about plot development, but I don't think he 'gets it' when we're talking sandbox vs. linear FPS.

Bioshock created a story, and then the environment in which to weave it. Far easier, IMO, than knowing you have this incredibly open world, where you are some ant in a sandbox, and then trying to weave a story into it. Especially a story grounded in some sort of reality.

You could come up with a linear FPS just by writing words on a dart board and throwing three darts: 'Underwater', 'Plot Twists', 'Special Powers'. Wow, that sounds sweet! Of course, substitute 'Underwater' for 'Outerspace' and you have System Shock...

I think it's far harder to take a world and weave a character and story into it. GTA had roots, it had expectations, and it was expected to follow those, and make them better. IMO, that deserves a lot more focus and credit then simply saying 'the story is great, just like Bioshock!'

Otherwise, I wholeheartedly agree with the article. I've played for about a dozen hours or so because of the W.C.J. (wife, child, job), and I'm like 6% through. I like to take my time, and will probably play this game solely for the next 3 or 4 months (sorry MGS).

It's not without it's flaws. It certainly doesn't look as nice on a big screen HD as it does in the previews. The driving camera is a bit awkward at time (though, you can adjust it nicely), the cover mechanic is like Gears of War version 0.3b, sometimes juggling peoples attitudes for you gets overwhelming, some missions are built to fail on the first run, and probably a few other things as well.

That being said, all the minor flaws are completely overshadowed by the people (you care about them), the plot (so far it's a really great and believable story), and just the 'vast while not being too vast' of it all. It really is a next gen GTA3 2, whereas VC and SA were like GTA3 expansions.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Oh, and I also have a grudge with this, quote: "None of this is new to Grand Theft Auto; the series pioneered the open-world genre"

You obviously never played an Ultima.

Concerning the "outdated" GTA IV graphics; this really isn't anything new. Haven't all GTAs always been lagging behind in graphics quality? That's probably the price to pay for a huge, seamless open world to explore. But seriously, I think that the open world and gameplay is what sets GTA apart from other titles and makes it such a refreshing experience. I'll sacrifice graphics quality to that anytime. If I want the latest, shiniest graphics, I'll play a standard, level-based FPS.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Tiamat666 said:
Oh, and I also have a grudge with this, quote: "None of this is new to Grand Theft Auto; the series pioneered the open-world genre"

You obviously never played an Ultima.
I have. But there's a difference between "pioneering" something and discovering it. Or creating it. Davy Crockett was a pioneer of the American frontier, but a great many Spaniards and Native Americans were the before he was. Same, too, with GTA and open world games.

DvON

Apr 28, 2008
Playbahnosh said:
Nice article! To answer your question I won't bring GTA IV to a deserted island. Instead, I would bring something with much more replay value, like a Sims 4 or a SimCity or something that is open ended and not story driven like GTA IV. Yeah, the open world is cool...for a while, until you know every nook and cranny there is in Liberty City. This was my main point in uninstalling San Andreas a while back. When I loaded the game the 1000th time, I knew the story from heart, I mastered every vechicle there is in the game, I found every collectible, every hidden spot... I 100%-ed the game, and there was nothing for me to do in San Andreas anymore. This is problem with the GTA series. For a while (60-100 hours) you get so hooked up, your momma would be cryin', but after that, it's cut, it's nothing, like after a movie, the credits come up, and it's over...

At least this is my opinion.
I dont know about you but im taking a yacht to my desert island with gas