Smile and Nod: GTA 4: The Best Game I've Ever Played

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
I agree with you about the need for a car garage, Russ. Really needed, especially if you have a bike (or three), a cop car and an SUV that you want to have to-hand.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Russ Pitts said:
It's good. Buy it.
So it must be true. You are on R* payroll. Is this a common occurence among game reviewers? You are destroying my belief in independent game journalism.

I guess I might actually buy it once R* decides it is time for a PC version.
I hate console gaming... with a passion.

But you really should stop telling people to go buy it. I think it's not a good practice that hurts the reviewers credibility. I have to admit, it's a very subtle feeling, but it really does make me feel uneasy about the review.
After all, good marketing is all about subtleties.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
grenideer said:
All I know is most of the things I try to do aren't doable, you can't go in any of the buildings, you can't start a dialog with random people on the street. And I disagree that the activities aren't heavy handed. So far I am told every step of the way what to do. Granted, I have choices, but it just seems like the whole game is driving around following the radar line. Not that fun so far but there are flashes of brilliance mixed in the tedium. I know it will get better at some point.
They spend, what? $100 M on this while using the same engine with some updates, enrolled something like +200 devs I believe and took more than three years of dev, then say it's a free roaming sandbox game, yet you can't even get inside buildings and do stuff inside?
So it's a city full of cubes with New York textures painted on them?
I'd have expected more indoor content.

mitsoxfan

Feb 12, 2008
Tiamat666 said:
But you really should stop telling people to go buy it. I think it's not a good practice that hurts the reviewers credibility. I have to admit, it's a very subtle feeling, but it really does make me feel uneasy about the review. After all, good marketing is all about subtleties.
Why? The reviewer clearly feels strongly enough about the game to recommend that people purchase it. He's not marketing the game, he's saying it's worth your hard earned cash. Would you rather he say, 'You'd be stupid not to buy it, but being stupid is your choice!'

And if you hate console gaming, you must not own a console, so why even bother talking about GTA IV until the thing comes out for the PC?

Pat M.

Jul 11, 2006
Tiamat666 said:
Russ Pitts said:
It's good. Buy it.
So it must be true. You are on R* payroll. Is this a common occurence among game reviewers? You are destroying my belief in independent game journalism.

I guess I might actually buy it once R* decides it is time for a PC version.
I hate console gaming... with a passion.

But you really should stop telling people to go buy it. I think it's not a good practice that hurts the reviewers credibility. I have to admit, it's a very subtle feeling, but it really does make me feel uneasy about the review.
After all, good marketing is all about subtleties.
so wait, reviewers AREN'T supposed to make purchasing recommendations now? i get all mixed up these days.

Zera

Sep 12, 2007
To be technical reviews are really just opinions by "proffesionals" (not insulting you or anything Russ). Anyways the sad fact is that perfection can never be achieved, nor should it ever be. If a game is perfect, then thats it, you cant get any better than that. It will be the be all, end all of gaming. But just like all forms of art, there is no such thing as the greatest. Sure GTA4 is a great game, I am not denying that or am I questioning your journalistic integrety. It may be the perfect open world game, but its not the greatest puzzle, rpg, FPS, platformer etc game ever. Therefore its not THE game. But Im glad you found your greatest game Russ. I havent found mine yet, nor do I want to to, because when I find it, everything else will feel like a step down but hey thats just me.

Zera

Sep 12, 2007
Digikid said:
Russ Pitts said:
Tiamat666 said:
Don't tell me what I should buy. Just tell me if the game is any good.
It's good. Buy it.
It is nothing special at all. Just yet another GTA game.
Thats what I was about to said, but then I realized that I have no right to critize a game that I havent even played unlike everyone else. But I will get to it soon to see what all the hubbub is all about.

palidanek

Jan 23, 2008
Excellent Game but it still doesn't beat my favourite 360 game = Bioshock let alone my favourite games of all time.

Sentient Muffin

Mar 3, 2008
grenideer said:
I am about 6-8 hours in and I do not see what all the raving is about yet. I think I fall into the category of being a series newbie and not understanding all there is to do. All I know is most of the things I try to do aren't doable, you can't go in any of the buildings, you can't start a dialog with random people on the street. And I disagree that the activities aren't heavy handed. So far I am told every step of the way what to do. Granted, I have choices, but it just seems like the whole game is driving around following the radar line. Not that fun so far but there are flashes of brilliance mixed in the tedium. I know it will get better at some point.
We must share a brain or something, 'cept I'm kinda enjoying the game. :)

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Okay, I guess I'm the only person that feels slightly annoyed by reviewers telling me to go buy things. It's no big deal actually and I didn't want to hijack the thread, so I'll shut up already. Just thought I'd speak my mind.

REDace0

Apr 14, 2008
Good review. It's nice to read game reviews that are a little deeper than the typical big gaming website cut. One minor point though. I agree completely regarding the lack of checkpoints many have been lamenting. Unfortunately, Microsoft requires Xbox 360 games to run without the hard drive, on account of the 'Core' and 'Arcade' models that come without one. I believe that's the reason it wasn't included. But yes, I suppose they could've included it and just disabled it if no hard drive was detected.

Donstheman

May 8, 2008
Personally, I cant help but feel like the game is a sleek repeat of the previous games excet with a different minority. Shot one guy, shot em all in this game.

kuddles

Oct 25, 2007
Good review, as expected.

And while I agree with a lot of the positive things you said, let me also say thank you for mentioning the lack of a checkpoint system. With almost no other reviews mentioning it, I almost felt like I was alone in my frustration. Re-doing a 30-second-long mission with Little Jacob that I messed up wouldn't be half as bothersome if I didn't have to spend seven minutes following the exact same route to go pick him up at his house every damn time.

nightfish

Nov 7, 2007
Russ Pitts said:
Smile and Nod: GTA 4: The Best Game I've Ever Played

I have to admit to a certain reticence when it comes to praising games. Like most writers, I can usually find something not to like about a game, and those bits usually make the best copy. But 30 hours into Grand Theft Auto IV I can easily say it's my main contender for Game of the Year. Hell, it's in the running for Game of the Decade. I'd even go so far as to say it's the best game I've ever played.

Read Full Article
I don't know about this.

When your about to die, then you can say what the best game you've ever played is. I've heard so many people say - "Wow, this is the best game I've ever played" only for a couple of months later something else to come out and they say the same about that.

Ptrack_Git

Apr 6, 2008
Did anybody mention the explosions look fantastic yet... doesnt that count for something graphically?
BTW great review, great game... seriously go buy it.