Smile and Nod: The Orange Juice Principle

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Smile and Nod: The Orange Juice Principle

This is the story of how I almost bought a boat, but didn't. How I tackled a storm of projects I'd been putting off for years, all for the purpose of spending the weekend in the Atlantic Ocean, the wind at my back, my troubles left on the shore behind me. Almost.

Read Full Article

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
An excellent answer to the perpetual question of the procrastinator: "Why do today, what can be put off 'til tomorrow?"

I tend to suffer from this dreadful affliction...

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
I think I speak for everyone when I say...what was the name of the play you directed in middle school? Just curious.

smileyboybob

Nov 14, 2007
that happened to me in a DMV once. I was in and out in about ten minutes. It was pretty spooky stuff.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Hello, my name is Stompy, and I'm a procrastinator.
'The Orange Juice Principle'... Very insightful into the problem of leaving things to the last minute.
I think I'll use it. Thanks Russ.

- A Procrastinator

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
L.B. Jeffries said:
I think I speak for everyone when I say...what was the name of the play you directed in middle school? Just curious.
I worked at a middle school, briefly, as a technical director. I've also worked in that same position at a high school, a couple of colleges and a few professional theaters. In another life, at another time.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Russ Pitts said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
I worked at a middle school, briefly, as a technical director. I've also worked in that same position at a high school, a couple of colleges and a few professional theaters. In another life, at another time.
Hmmm... very subtle. Do we think he's dodging the question, or that he wasn't paying that much attention? Given that he's usually pretty sharp, I'm going to go with "dodge". Very sly, sir.

the_tralfalmadorian

Jan 11, 2008
i do so love your articles... though i doubt i will apply "The Orange Juice Principle" in my own life. I enjoy procrastination too much.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Not dodging, I just find it hard to believe anyone would care. As for the literal answer, I really don't remember. It was a musical of some sort. There may have been children dressed as animals. Perhaps bears.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
sammyfreak said:
Bears bears bears, Little Red Ridinghood Perhaps?
That was a wolf, wasn't it? Were the bears anthropomorphic? Were they an advanced society or merely subservient to the greater themes in the play?

I bet it was 'The Wizard of Oz'.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Very well written article, and a useful analogy if I must say so, using the world's most existential beverage, too.

(If you're wondering why that is, just think... orange juice only truly goes well with itself... hmm? hmmmmm? yeah... think about that.)

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
You could have just washed the pitcher in the bathtub. That's the "What have I done with my life?" Principle.