SMITE Adds Japanese Pantheon With Amaterasu

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
Picture number 3 looks like Fushimi Inari Taisha, which is where Inari is worshiped. It seems kind of sloppy to use that imagery for Amaterasu. If they wanted a shrine to use as a model for artwork for Amaterasu they should have gone with the Ise Shrine.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
GiantRedButton said:
RJ 17 said:
remnant_phoenix said:
I'm not really up on traditional artistic depictions of Shinto deities, so correct me if I'm off-base here, but doesn't Amaterasu look too Caucasian and not enough Japanese?
While my first thought was "I like the dog version better", my 2nd thought was just that: "Huh...that's the whitest Japanese woman I've ever seen."

......that and "A female SMITE character that's not half naked? What gives, Hi-Rez?"
youd be suprised how white skin can be in Japan. Also Anime has plenty of japanese characters with these skin tones.
Smite usually is tamer than the original with the gods. Gods that are usually portrait nude or partially nude are covered up. Amaterasu isn't depicted as mostly nude so she isn't in game either.
Greek gods with little clothing should not be shocking to a modern civilisation though.
Everything in the post of mine that you quoted was meant specifically as a joke. :p

RebornKusabi

Mar 11, 2009
Czann said:
I'm not following this game so did they add Jehovah and Jesus already?

Are they too OP?
This is my feeling too, joke aside. Everytime I follow the game, I notice Jesus and Jenovah/God are curiously absent still

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Darth Rosenberg said:
Yikes, way to make a bland character out of mythic origins and folklore. 'It's a Japanese deity. Hey, samurai armour and katana are Japanese! Let's do that!'. Maybe they just looked at Okami's iteration, and just decided to do the absolute opposite...
Hey, at least she has a face in this game

Elvaril

Dec 31, 2010
tf2godz said:
remnant_phoenix said:
tf2godz said:
Darth Rosenberg said:
Yikes, way to make a bland character out of mythic origins and folklore. 'It's a Japanese deity. Hey, samurai armour and katana are Japanese! Let's do that!'. Maybe they just looked at Okami's iteration, and just decided to do the absolute opposite...
I think they probably should've went with the more traditional look

and also make her fighting style a little bit more unique, like Japanese dancing or something. it seems weird they went for the samurai thing with her?
Yes! That picture is great! Why didn't they just go with that?
I think they wanted a samurai but also wanted the most well-known person in the Japanese pantheon in first. the problem is as far as I know the only one of the three that had a samurai motif was Susanoo but since amaterasu is the most well-known they decide to compromise and make her samurai.
They can always change them later like they did when they switched Ao Kuang's name to Kukulkan and then later readded Ao Kuang as a whole new character.

RebornKusabi said:
Czann said:

Are they too OP?
This is my feeling too, joke aside. Everytime I follow the game, I notice Jesus and Jenovah/God are curiously absent still
I think the problem is that there really isn't much of a pantheon or diversity to build on there. With other religions there is a whole lot of diversity in each of the gods with their personalities. With the Abrahamic religions you have Jehovah, Jesus, Satan and that's pretty much it. They could go for the angels and demons, but that's going to get pretty samey after a bit. I suppose they could build on that with the saints, but I feel like that's a step down.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
RebornKusabi said:
Czann said:

Are they too OP?
Because in the Bible, there's a looottt of stories of God/Jehovah stomping the other gods people prayed to and worshipped into the dust. Most notably Moses and the egyptians. It was even ordered of the past jews as they went on to conquer other lands to desecrate, tear apart, and utterly destroy any religious structure that didn't have to do with the Lord or God.

They're probably afraid of the controversy of bringing them in. Making them a little powerful? That's offensive! Making them a little weak? That's offensive!

XP

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I mean it's not the wolf version but it'll do. Finally I have someone to seriously main after Release Bellona was fixed (good times) and now that i've seen Amaterasu's actual spotlight, that ult is the perfect thing for me to stylishly whiff.

Finally they go for the what I thought was pretty obvious Japanese selection. Izanagi when.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
RJ 17 said:
GiantRedButton said:
RJ 17 said:
remnant_phoenix said:
I'm not really up on traditional artistic depictions of Shinto deities, so correct me if I'm off-base here, but doesn't Amaterasu look too Caucasian and not enough Japanese?
While my first thought was "I like the dog version better", my 2nd thought was just that: "Huh...that's the whitest Japanese woman I've ever seen."

......that and "A female SMITE character that's not half naked? What gives, Hi-Rez?"
youd be suprised how white skin can be in Japan. Also Anime has plenty of japanese characters with these skin tones.
Smite usually is tamer than the original with the gods. Gods that are usually portrait nude or partially nude are covered up. Amaterasu isn't depicted as mostly nude so she isn't in game either.
Greek gods with little clothing should not be shocking to a modern civilisation though.
Everything in the post of mine that you quoted was meant specifically as a joke. :p
That makes me happy :)
I don't want the attitude that caused famous artpieces to get the penises litterally painted over to reemerge.
Was especxially common in my homecountry

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
RebornKusabi said:
Czann said:

Are they too OP?
They have no spine to do it.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
undeadsuitor said:
tf2godz said:
Czann said:

Are they too OP?
when are we getting cthulhu? I want my cthulhu dammit!
theres a god with a cthulhu skin if you want!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tzw04CH1JA
That's OK but there's an entire pantheon of eldritch horrors they could use.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
undeadsuitor said:
Not really, since the far far far majority of Lovecraft's "pantheon" consists of literally indescribable horrors with undefined powers. not exactly solid character origins

plus, they couldn't make any hot scantily-clad chicks, which like most mobas is 75% of smites thing
Both are good points but the second is even better.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
undeadsuitor said:
Czann said:
undeadsuitor said:
tf2godz said:
Czann said:

Are they too OP?
when are we getting cthulhu? I want my cthulhu dammit!
theres a god with a cthulhu skin if you want!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tzw04CH1JA
That's OK but there's an entire pantheon of eldritch horrors they could use.
Not really, since the far far far majority of Lovecraft's "pantheon" consists of literally indescribable horrors with undefined powers. not exactly solid character origins

plus, they couldn't make any hot scantily-clad chicks, which like most mobas is 75% of smites thing
what so just because Cthulhu is a cosmic horror from beyond the stars you think he couldn't rock a bikini?