Smite PAX Aus Interview: The Fastest Growing New MOBA

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Smite PAX Aus Interview: The Fastest Growing New MOBA

Smite[/I]'s incredibly consumer friendly Ultimate God Pack - which unlocks all current and future Gods in the game, for a single, flat fee of $30. It's unusual to have such a generous offer for a free-to-play title, especially when the competition seems happy to gouge us blind [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137901-Heroes-of-the-Storm-Store-Prices-Wont-Change-Before-Launch]. Harris said it made a lot of sense when the game's alpha launched with just 9 heroes, but now that they are at 59 heroes, it's getting a bit out of hand in terms of its value. He stated that while there are currently no immediate plans to discontinue the Ultimate God Pack, he was unwilling to confirm it would always be available. "Never say never!"

Smite is shaping up to become a force to be reckoned with in the MOBA world, and to help celebrate its rising popularity, we've got a six of the PAX Aus exclusive Sydney Shredder He Bo skins [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu80Hwmx1AY] to give away. To enter, simply send me a PM with the subject "PAX Aus Smite Skin Giveaway".

The first six people to send me a message will receive a code!

That's all folks! All six codes have been given away.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
This article really comes across as advertising. I've seen angry joe do some smite games on twitch, it looks fun

Schmeiser

Nov 21, 2011
Had fun with it for a few games but unfortunately it's just not as fun or deep as DOTA so i uninstalled it. Not having all gods unlocked put the final nail in the coffin for me, but good luck even though i doubt it will even come close to the success of LOL and DOTA but hopefully it becomes big and we got more ARTS games flying around. And let's not even talk about that shitfest that is heroes of the storm.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
When I played it I had a blast, albeit with 350 ping. I was about to make a sarcastic comment about SMITE being and PAX Australia, but then I googled it and they've just recently put some in. Time to re-download, and hopefully with that skin. Good to see they didn't cancel the god pack as well. The only thing that stopped me from buying that was the lack of Aussie servers.

Meestor Pickle

Jul 29, 2010
I'm quite happy they recently did some servers for Aus, it was quite difficult to land auto-attacks at higher pings with the way the attacks are implemented.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
First WoW, now Smite...for oceanic players october 2014 shall be a month to be remembered. Aus/NZ players rejoice!

I'm just fucking ecstatic about the Oceanic playerbase finally getting some love (and respect) :D

Reinstalling Smite now.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I like the idea of Smite, a third person MOBA is something I wanted for ages, but the artstyle just doesn't appeal to me. It's aesthetic just drove me away.

On the topic of Heroes of the Storm, it is a good game. Rough but it's still in alpha. Those store prices though, absolutely ridiculous. I'm trying to play HoTS as much as I can without paying a cent to see how viable it is.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Dendio said:
This article really comes across as advertising. I've seen angry joe do some smite games on twitch, it looks fun
Hey Dendio. Can you please elaborate on what parts of the article you found questionable? I'm always looking to improve on my writing, and removing as much bias as possible is obviously a big part of that. I want to present information to you guys in a manner that's as objective as possible, and if this feels like advertising then i've failed.

For the record, I'm personally not that big of a Smite fan, much preferring League of Legends and Heroes of the Storm.

Thanks,

-Steven

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Schmeiser said:
Not having all gods unlocked put the final nail in the coffin for me
I fail to understand why is that a problem? Especially in smite.
-You get 5 Predetermined Free gods
-You get 5 Free rotated gods that is changed every major patch
-Every God is purchasable via in game currency (Favors) aside the real money currency (Gems)
-Every god is rentable with Favors
-The most expensive gods are new gods, which is 11.000 favors, and drops immediately to 5500, which is the standard price for every god. (There are even cheaper gods)

I've been playing Free for more than 4 Months now and I already own half the total from just Favors.

Schmeiser

Nov 21, 2011
Kaimax said:
Schmeiser said:
Not having all gods unlocked put the final nail in the coffin for me
I fail to understand why is that a problem? Especially in smite.
-You get 5 Predetermined Free gods
-You get 5 Free rotated gods that is changed every major patch
-Every God is purchasable via in game currency (Favors) aside the real money currency (Gems)
-Every god is rentable with Favors
-The most expensive gods are new gods, which is 11.000 favors, and drops immediately to 5500, which is the standard price for every god. (There are even cheaper gods)

I've been playing Free for more than 4 Months now and I already own half the total from just Favors.
It might not be to the majority of players i guess, but being 10 years with a game that gave you all heroes for free might've spoiled me. Would you rather have all gods unlocked from the start so you can play whatever you want and find your favourites immediately or grind IP or whatever it is called so you can buy some and risk not liking them (happened a lot in LOL) or grind enough IP so you can buy new ones as soon as they are released since new releases are pretty much always a bit OP and much more fun to play than the current ones

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Schmeiser said:
It might not be to the majority of players i guess, but being 10 years with a game that gave you all heroes for free might've spoiled me. Would you rather have all gods unlocked from the start so you can play whatever you want and find your favourites immediately or grind IP or whatever it is called so you can buy some and risk not liking them (happened a lot in LOL) or grind enough IP so you can buy new ones as soon as they are released since new releases are pretty much always a bit OP and much more fun to play than the current ones
-The in game currency for Smite is Favors
I honestly enjoyed my time more with the Free Gods and the Free Rotation gods, and you have ample time of around 2 weeks before the rotations is changed. It sure made me learn the Gods much faster as I only have 10 to worry about and 5 that changes every major patch.
Also the argument of "finding your favorite" in smite is negated by the fact you can try all the Gods for Free in Jungle Practice (and also the feature to rent it for 1 battle), so the common thing to do in Smite if you're a Free Players is check out the God in that mode, before deciding to purchase it.
and just adding in, Buying "New Release Gods" in Smite is a rip-off for Free Players as it costs way more than the Skins that you can buy with favors. You're better off spending $30 to get the Ultimate God pack, and get new and upcoming gods for free forever. $30 was the Price when it was in Alpha and there were only 9 Gods at that time.