Smoking, but not technically smoking, in a non-smoking zone?

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
There's a thought that crossed my mind recently, and I would like some feedback on it.

Y'know bubble pipes right?, those bubble blowers shaped like smoking pipes? What if you got a realistic looking bubble pipe, and used it in a non-smoking zone?

Would you get off by proving that you were smoking a bubble pipe? (and thus, not technically smoking in the conventional sense), or would you have to stop due to technicalities? (since, even though you're not technically smoking, you're still technically smoking).

What do you doods think?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Good luck finding one of those pipes, they don't really exist anymore because smoking isn't for children and we're not allowed to glamorize it with toys.

Trust me, I tried to find a pipe like that as a gift for a friend, and if you want one that's not a cheap piece of plastic crap you basically have to make your own custom made one.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Hahah...how'd you come up with something like that! No, I normally don't get off on "techincally" or secretly "breaking the law", I've done enough stupid shit that I don't crave it anymore. I don't get a rush from running yellow lights with my foot to the floor yelling fuck the police, throwing rocks at derelict building windows or the worst of them all, unplugging my USB stick without safely removing hardware first *gasp*

Ok poor jokes aside, to answer your question it depends on how tight the place is. If it was on a plane or something I think you'd probably be told to stop because reasons, I mean they take away my friend's keychain that looks like an M4 rifle, mind you this thing was 1.5 inches long. But if you were in the front of a building where it says 'no smoking 3 meters within entrance' and you were puffing on a bubble pipe I don't think anyone's going to give a shit once they pass and realize it's not smoke.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Well, I'm not a "dood", whatever that is, but I can definitively say: it depends. Who's enforcing this non-smoking zone? The business owner? The school officials? The police? I'd imagine in most places, once you explained yourself you'd be asked to stop; few people would want to make a scene over something so stupid, and few of those are in power. I do, however, have an amusing related story:

It was many years ago, but back when I was in high school, I needed to provide a distraction for a friend of mine (just a prank, nothing illegal), so I walked over to the table where a couple of administrators who knew and disliked me were sitting and eagerly talking, then turned to face the window, stared out at it for a moment, turned back, and, with a wink, blew a puff from the candy cigarette I had in my mouth. Needless to say they jumped at the chance to catch me breaking a rule, only to find to their dismay that I wasn't breaking one. They were totally flummoxed, and after I'd proven that it was just a piece of chocolate, they insisted that I "put it out", which I obviously couldn't do unless I lit it on fire first (this was also the day I learned that you should never set a candy cigarette on fire). It made quite a scene. Ultimately, they didn't even try to throw the book at me; probably mostly due to fear that I'd spread the word around and the next day, half the school would be doing it, and I'd be the patron saint of the actual smokers.

They expanded the school rules after that day to include pretty much anything that looked or acted like a pipe or cigarette, but at the time, all they could do was ask me to stop.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Doubt you would ever get in trouble for that. It'd be really obvious that you weren't smoking since you wouldn't stink and there would be no smoke coming out of your mouth. Most people probably wouldn't even notice what you were holding if you weren't actually blowing bubbles.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
If you want to get your jollies that way you could always just stand in a no smoking area with a pipe or a cigarette or a cigar or something and pretend to smoke it, doing all the actions but with the tobacco product of choice not being lit.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
At absolute worst you might be asked to stop, at which point you could smugly say "Ah, but I'm not smoking!". Then they'd go back to their lives while rolling their eyes and thinking you're a....well, finish the thought.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Recusant said:
lol, nice with owning them during that distraction

Also, dood is an alternate spelling of dude I adopted after playing the first Disgaea. I spell it that way to emphasize that I use dude gender neutrally (because, in the immortal words of Kel Mitchell, "I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, 'cause we're all dudes").

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
I'm more curious of why in hell's name you would even go to the trouble of bringing a bubble pipe to a non smoking area?

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
This honestly sounds like a case of acting stupid to be 'edgy.' Find something better to do with your time mate

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Michel Henzel said:
I'm more curious of why in hell's name you would even go to the trouble of bringing a bubble pipe to a non smoking area?
I wasn't, I wanted peoples' opinions on a hypothetical scenario.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Avnger said:
This honestly sounds like a case of acting stupid to be 'edgy.' Find something better to do with your time mate
I'm not actually gonna do it, I just wanted peer opinions on a hypothetical scenario.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
DarklordKyo said:
Michel Henzel said:
I wasn't, I wanted peoples' opinions on a hypothetical scenario.
Yeah I should have worded that better as I did not mean you specifically but in a general sense, my bad.

But still, why would someone do that? I mean it's just asking for confrontation if a person is sitting in a non smoking area with a realistic looking pipe.

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
Smopking only refeures to tobnucco, you should smopke something not tobnacco in a public area and see what hapens.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
That's child's play, dear squidgling. What I do nowadays is bribe random homeless drug addicts to saw off one of their own limbs for my not-technically-illegal-but-mother-would-still-disapprove kicks. Am mostly numb to these sensations now, but chewing on a Panini full of angry wasps at the same time helps.