Smurfs Trailer Can Go Smurf Itself

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Smurfs Trailer Can Go Smurf Itself

[yahoo=24476987 width=350 height=210]​

Gaze upon (and cringe at) at the new trailer for The Smurfs.

For some reason, Hollywood is on a kick of adapting mediocre cartoons for the big screen, with predictably terrible results (I'm looking at you, Yogi Bear). A few months ago, the teaser trailer for The Smurfs <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/1820-Knight-and-Day-also-Smurfs>was released to universal groans; now the official trailer is out. Unsurprisingly, it's dreadful.

Here's the official synopsis of the movie:

When the evil wizard Gargamel (Hank Azaria) chases the Smurfs out of their village, they're forced through a portal, out of their world and into ours, landing in the middle of New York's Central Park. Just three apples high and stuck in the Big Apple, the Smurfs must find a way to get back to their village before Gargamel tracks them down.

The trailer doesn't really do a good job of explaining this plot, it's just a bunch of gags that are unfurled without much explanation. Here's what I gleaned from the trailer before I'd read the story summary: The Smurfs somehow wind up in New York after some cosmic event happens and turns the moon blue. Or they get shipped from Belgium to Neil Patrick Harris (channeling a toned-down Barney Stinson) and proceed to assault him when he opens up the box they're sitting in. Gargamel randomly shows up and enjoys some fine dining in Manhattan before some sort of magical showdown with the little blue creatures.

The weirdest thing about the trailer is that it's clearly trying to be edgy enough to appeal to teens by including lines that are intended to be raunchy jokes but just come off as cringe-inducing (such as when Gutsy says "Nothing like a cool breeze through my enchanted forest" while an air vent blows up his kilt or Papa Smurf asks "where the smurf are we?").

No release date's been revealed yet, outside of "Summer 2011", but Sony Pictures has been happy to announce that the film will be in 3D.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I might watch this movie until the novelty wears out. Which should be 5 minutes, based on my Yogi exp.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
vansau said:
The weirdest thing about the trailer is that it's clearly trying to be edgy enough to appeal to teens by including lines that are intended to be raunchy jokes but just come off as cringe-inducing (such as when Gutsy says "Nothing like a cool breeze through my enchanted forest" while an air vent blows up his kilt or Papa Smurf asks "where the smurf are we?").
Actually, kids love that. As it turns out, children are ever so fond of PG-edgy, immature humour.
They probably didn't have that in mind but I like to be optimistic.

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
The way things are going, we'll have another Porygon incident in the next year.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
to be honest

I didn't thought the Smurfs cartoon was bad at all

I loved it

but, as Bob said, what the fuck Hollywood

you get all pissy when G.I. Joe's members are not all from USA, yet, you can totally rape Belgium's childhood?

(yes, I know the cartoon was made in the USA)

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
OH DEAD GOD!? WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN?!

OT: What the hell are they thinking? What did they smoke to come up with this?
And a Yogi Bear movie...The fuck is wrong with them!?

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
vansau said:
Yeah, MovieBob pretty much called that one.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
Son of a Smurfete!!!

Why the hell does Hollywood have the need to bring back perfect classics and turn them into crap!?

Its like Midas touch but instead of making it gold, it makes things turn in a big pile of poop!!!

WHY HOLLYWOOD WHY DO YOU HAVE THE NEED TO RUIN MY CHILDHOOD AND MY HEROS!!!

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
My eyes, they burn. Well this is going to be a flop, but if they release it the right week it's going to be the highest grossing film of the week.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
It has Neil Patrick Harris and Katy Perry in it, therefore i really badly want to love it!

However after seeing that trailer i just want this movie to smurf in hell!

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
teh_Canape said:
you get all pissy when G.I. Joe's members are not all from USA, yet, you can totally rape Belgium's childhood?
What? God no, The Smurf are French.

Which remind me, I WANT ZOMBIE SMURF