Snacking While Gaming Can Hurt Weight Loss

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
*joins other commenters in the stance of "No, really?"*

It's common sense, I don't see why it really needs reporting on or new studies.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Twilight.falls said:
JaredXE said:
Wait, so eating while doing a sedate activity makes you fat?

*Looks at expanding waistline* I never would have guessed.....
What he said. Something tells me that the people doing these studies work at the Department of Redundancy Department.
hahahahahahhahaha that made me laugh, they all looked at me in the office funny

anyway, what i didnt really had seen and its kind of obvious is that your brain doesnt process the fact that you just ate, so you feel hungry still because you were obviously focusing on something else, so your brain doesnt know if you really ate, or not, and just to be sure it makes you eat more

"ok... did ate in the last 5 hours??... oh! i freed a Q! great... i think i need to eat something... there are chips... the bag is empty... K OF SPADES!!... open a new bag of chips and eat, i think i´m hungry"

JerrytheBullfrog

Dec 30, 2009
Is everybody just reading the headline and commenting without reading the full article?

The point isn't "doing a sedentary activity plus eating food without exercise makes you fat," it's "eating while splitting your focus and attention means that you're more likely to eat more than you would otherwise, and feel less full afterward."

They're completely different things.

AmayaOnnaOtaku

The Babe with the Power
Mar 11, 2010
Thank you Captain Obvious! Right now if my stomach could actually tolerate anything the fruit looks really good. Guess it back to ginger ale and crackers.
Still eating while your attention is diverted: work, watching tv, or gaming you are bound to eat more and higher calorie food. It's something well known

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
JerrytheBullfrog said:
Is everybody just reading the headline and commenting without reading the full article?

The point isn't "doing a sedentary activity plus eating food without exercise makes you fat," it's "eating while splitting your focus and attention means that you're more likely to eat more than you would otherwise, and feel less full afterward."

^^This. I don't think most people read the article, or at least failed to understand.

I came into the thread thinking the same as most of the commenters "Duh, snacking leads to weight gain."

But this is actually interesting, and something I hadn't considered. A lot of times, I'm gaming while I eat, or reading, or watching TV.

As for all the people going on about "eating while sitting still", how the hell do you eat dinner? Do you jog around your dining room trying to eat your food? Most people at the least sit at the table with their families and eat.

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
Wow, look at the number of people who didn't read the article!

I personally don't eat and play games simultaneously but I DO eat and watch movies or videos simultaneously for pretty much every meal since I now live alone. Hopefully that doesn't have the as severe of an affect. I'd like to think that I don't continuously eat since I already have my proportions laid out before I start eating/watching. When my plate is clear, that's it.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
JerrytheBullfrog said:

Yeah, I read the article, then wondered what the hell people are on about.

The article is saying eating while doing other things makes you eat more/feel less full/etc. It doesn't nesicarily just mean gaming either, I imagine people that do a working lunch at the office would have similar effects given the split in concentration.

What the study is saying is, "when you have a meal, go sit down and eat the meal, don't do other stuff while eating!".

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
No fucking shit, Sherlock. >_>
dathwampeer said:
No shit Sherlock. Even though the real point of this article, that part about splitting attention and it's relation to appetite, is quite interesting.

Still. No shit Sherlock.

Sitting still and eating for long periods of time. Who the fuck would have guessed that was a bad idea.
Fucking Ninja. >_<

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
First we get "research" that says we won't get slim by sitting in front of a screen all day and now this? Where do these "researchers" get their funding, the silly planet?

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
dathwampeer said:
No shit Sherlock. Even though the real point of this article, that part about splitting attention and it's relation to appetite, is quite interesting.

Still. No shit Sherlock.

Sitting still and eating for long periods of time. Who the fuck would have guessed that was a bad idea.
I think this is an early competitor for the most pointless experiment category from the no shit Sherlock's of 2012 this years winner went to finding out we need air to live also to you want to present any of the awards.

Big_H

Mar 23, 2009
Cursed Frogurt said:
Wow, look at the number of people who didn't read the article!

I personally don't eat and play games simultaneously but I DO eat and watch movies or videos simultaneously for pretty much every meal since I now live alone. Hopefully that doesn't have the as severe of an affect. I'd like to think that I don't continuously eat since I already have my proportions laid out before I start eating/watching. When my plate is clear, that's it.
I'm in the same situation. I live alone, so sitting down to eat without a video on (or book open, or some other distraction) is really boring. It's boring to the point that I think I would rush through eating just to get back to doing something "interesting", and rushing your meal is bad for proper digestion and also leads to overeating.

... I guess I could always start talking to myself while I eat... though I think that creates more problems than it solves.

JerrytheBullfrog

Dec 30, 2009
Trogdor1138 said:
*joins other commenters in the stance of "No, really?"*

It's common sense, I don't see why it really needs reporting on or new studies.
Because you didn't read the actual article, apparently.

fordneagles

Dec 22, 2010
To be honest the first thing I noticed was the bi-line: 'Want to lose weight? Don't snack while you game.'

The article refers to eating a meal while gaming, then snacking afterward. I would reckon that being hungry is a good reason to take a break from whatever you're playing, go prepare something, eat it, THEN you can go back to your game. If your tummy isn't grumbling, then you're not hungry :p

Although really, I think, the real point to be made is *don't snack* if you want to lose weight, regardless of whether or not you're gaming.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Redundancy strikes again! Although the part about forgetting what you ate is interesting...

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
It has happened to me when there's empanadas for dinner that if i bring some while i web surf or game on the pc, i can't remember having finished eating one and will look for an half eaten empanada i had already finished.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
I actually never eat and play games at the same time. That just sounds like a pain in the ass. I'll certainly pause and pay a visit to the kitchen, though.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Huh. I never knew the University of Bristol had a School of Redundant Statements... presumably headed by Professor Obvious. I'm thinking of changing universities, I might see what their entry requirements are.