Snag Some Free MS Points With the Xbox Live Rewards Program

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Snag Some Free MS Points With the Xbox Live Rewards Program

Xbox Live [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live] members in the U.S. and U.K. can now sign up for the free Xbox Live Rewards program and earn Microsoft points for doing things as mundane as renewing memberships and buying Marketplace content.

Rewards programs are all the rage these days, with everyone from quietly testing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100891-GameStop-Test-Drives-PowerUp-Rewards-Program] some kind of points program for Xbox Live members and now it's finally ready to open the doors to everyone.

The Xbox Live Rewards program is free to join and offers opportunities to score Microsoft points to both Free and Gold members. The awesome thing is that you don't really have to do anything to earn points; renewing Gold subscriptions, buying or renewing a Family Pack, buying stuff from the Marketplace, activating Netflix over Xbox Live, taking monthly surveys and more will all earn you varying amounts of points, while "cool prizes" are available for participating in "exclusive promotions."

I'm not normally a big fan of loyalty programs but it's hard to see a downside to this one. It's free to join, most of the points are doled out for stuff you'd be doing anyway and the usual purchase-tracking paranoia isn't relevant because it's not as though Microsoft doesn't already have an open book on everything you buy and do on Xbox Live. Maybe I'm missing something but from where I sit, this a winner all the way around.

No word on when the program will be rolled out to the rest of the world but if you happen to live in one of the lucky "United" countries and want to check it out, hit up rewards.xbox.com [http://rewards.xbox.com] to learn more.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
this is nice as long as they dont make you fill out surveys in suspicious looking sites to 'earn' these points.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Sweet, I was just thinking about getting an Xbox Gold account, and now this seems like the perfect time to do so. MS have always been pretty good with points deals. I was surprised to find that I'd got a points rebate and had enough to buy Trials HD which was on offer at like 400 from 1200.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
And yet, this is the same people that brought us GFWL. I'm still going for it, but if it breaks, I won't be surprised

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
also known as "give your personal information to marketers and get a trivial amount of value back"

I wish I had no scruples so I could take advantage of stupid people like everyone else in the world seems to.

flipsalty

May 11, 2010
Every time I do an xbox promotion that promises MS points, I never end up receiving them, so no thank you.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
That's not a bad idea, only problem is I will probably never get the family pack one unless I get myself, my little brother and 2 mates to renew it at once

Here's hoping it's available to the UK

EDIT: re read the article, it's in the UK fuck yeah!

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I'm hoping the surveys aren't mandatory, because I wouldn't mind getting free points for only renewing my subscription. It's seems like a reasonable reward for paying for Xbox Live's services, even if I don't use everything thats on there.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
So it's like Club Nintendo (buy games, fill out surveys) but you also get stuff for just using your 360 as well. And rather than getting "coins" to trade for a few pieces of swag that Nintendo has on offer, they just cut the bullshit and give you some Microsoft Points? Fuck yeah sign me up!

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I signed up as soon as I finished reading the article. Thanks for the heads up!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
rembrandtqeinstein said:
also known as "give your personal information to marketers and get a trivial amount of value back"
I think signing up for Xbox Live in the first place means that particular horse is already out of the barn.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
One question, is this available in Canada? If not I'm bonned.....
Currently it's US & UK only. Sorry.

But hey, if push comes to shove, come on down and visit your not too far south neighbors in New York!