SNES Classic. Once again, no one can get it

Myria

Sanity Challenged
Nov 15, 2009
124
0
0
Vanilla ISIS said:
I don't blame them, the hardware business is very unpredictable, better safe than sorry.
Given that the hardware used for the SNES and NES is identical [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-snes-mini-teardown-confirmed-recycled-nes-mini-tech], hardware investment doesn't seem likely to be the issue.

Even odds the inevitable and hard to find N64 Classic will use the same board as well.
 

Yoshi178

New member
Aug 15, 2014
2,108
0
0
Myria said:
Even odds the inevitable and hard to find N64 Classic will use the same board as well.
Myria said:
inevitable N64 Classic
i'm not so sure about that. alot of the titles that gave the N64 the legacy it has were made by Rare.

since Donkey Kong Country is on the SNES classic it shouldn't be difficult getting DK64 on there but i HIGHLY doubt Microsoft would be ok with letting Nintendo put something like Banjo-Kazooie on an N64 classic. that was one of the systems biggest games and is constantly compared to Mario 64 all the time by fans.
 

mythgraven

No One Is Special
Mar 9, 2010
203
0
0
No. No, nope, nein.

NONE of you, are actually surprised that the SNES Classic is difficult to obtain. As has been noted multiple times in the posts above, at this point is a staple of Big N's practices to drip feed a teeny tiny minuscule amount of product to people.

And since we all know this to be the case, since this has been proven to be as consistent as gravity... Why the thread? Why the posts?

Did you post yesterday that you woke up and still had to pay taxes?

No?????

Then why post about the obvious obviousness of Nintendo failing to produce and ship the required number of units of... Well, anything. At all?

Because the opposite of "forced scarcity" is "forced outrage". That's why. Your inner troll decided someone (and definitely that someone was you) needed to post about this, since it's a thing you 'should' be outraged over.

Stop doing things, just because you have a vague feeling that you 'should', and especially, stop being "angry" because of something you knew full well was going to be a thing.

(I think the Pitch Perfect sequel is going to suck. I'm fairly well informed that it probably will. I'm NOT waiting here, with a wordpad document full of manufactured outrage for the day it finally releases.)
 

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
1,155
0
41
The amount of locations and people in your city/town, whatever, could really impact the availability in your areas.
I got mine but I decided to wait in line (3rd in line) and wait hours for the store to open. 1 per person so there was plenty enough.

After the store opened, only three people who weren't in the line got one too. I think the people in our line were all excited about playing, owning and having their own. No one I spoke with had an interest in reselling theirs. Personally, I wouldn't have paid over $150 from a scalper. I was prepared to just not have one. I still own my original SNES and many of these games but I really wanted something that could reset the 'test of time' of how long the system would actually continue to work without breaking down or the controllers getting sticky buttons from overuse.

Best of luck for anyone else / everyone else trying to get theirs are the price they're advertised.
 

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
2,258
238
68
You know, I see a lot of people mentioning stores running out of SNES minis, and saying they aren't restocking. The thing JUST came out, do you have any idea of how ordering stock even works? It doesn't ship in a day, it takes a bit of time. A store isn't gonna run out, and then immediately look outside and say "Oh look, the re-stock truck is here!" Like... chill out, give it a few days or even a week
 

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
1,163
0
0
I tried to get one from Best Buy Canada online, but the stock was gone in less than a minute. But there was plenty Switch in stock, so I decided to go buy a switch instead. I asked the girl at the store how much snes they had in the morning, and she said that they received 50' but that there were at least 100 waiting outside when the store opened.
 

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
1,050
0
0
cathou said:
I tried to get one from Best Buy Canada online, but the stock was gone in less than a minute. But there was plenty Switch in stock, so I decided to go buy a switch instead. I asked the girl at the store how much snes they had in the morning, and she said that they received 50' but that there were at least 100 waiting outside when the store opened.
Don't you live in Quebec? I heard from my Fracophone friend that Quebec wasn't getting any because there is no French on the box. He was going to ask his mum to grab one and ship it to him here in Asia.
 

Neverhoodian

New member
Apr 2, 2008
3,832
0
0
It seems like everyone has different stories about availability. It probably varies depending on where you live. I'd imagine major cities got the lion's share of units at launch, with outlying areas having to settle for the leftovers.

I haven't even bothered trying to get one yet. I figure I'll wait a week or so and see if I can get one via store walk-in. I'd like to obtain one, but not to the point that I'd be willing to wait in line for hours during the early morning (prime sleeping time for me given my 1-9 p.m. work schedule) just to have a chance at getting it.

Elvis Starburst said:
You know, I see a lot of people mentioning stores running out of SNES minis, and saying they aren't restocking. The thing JUST came out, do you have any idea of how ordering stock even works? It doesn't ship in a day, it takes a bit of time. A store isn't gonna run out, and then immediately look outside and say "Oh look, the re-stock truck is here!" Like... chill out, give it a few days or even a week
Exactly. I work at a major retailer, and it usually takes a few days to restock an item if we sell out quickly. This applies to all merchandise, from the hottest electronics to hand soap.
 

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
1,163
0
0
Chewster said:
cathou said:
I tried to get one from Best Buy Canada online, but the stock was gone in less than a minute. But there was plenty Switch in stock, so I decided to go buy a switch instead. I asked the girl at the store how much snes they had in the morning, and she said that they received 50' but that there were at least 100 waiting outside when the store opened.
Don't you live in Quebec? I heard from my Fracophone friend that Quebec wasn't getting any because there is no French on the box. He was going to ask his mum to grab one and ship it to him here in Asia.
Yeah, I'm in Quebec. In august Nintendo screwed up big time. The retailler said that Nintendo told them that it wouldn't not be sold in Quebec. But Nintendo refused to spoke officially about that. Nothing was said officially but it was supposed that the French protection law was preventing the system to be sold in Quebec, however the organism that is suppose to check the application of that law claimed on twitter that they didn't do anything to block the sales.

Then suddenly two weeks ago, retailers said : ok, we can sell it in Quebec and Nintendo again refused to comment. But on September 29th there was indeed stocks of snes classic in every Quebec stores.
 

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
15,489
0
0
Elvis Starburst said:
You know, I see a lot of people mentioning stores running out of SNES minis, and saying they aren't restocking. The thing JUST came out, do you have any idea of how ordering stock even works? It doesn't ship in a day, it takes a bit of time. A store isn't gonna run out, and then immediately look outside and say "Oh look, the re-stock truck is here!" Like... chill out, give it a few days or even a week
You are kinda' forgetting that the only reason the 're-stock' is needed is because Nintendo didn't send that many. And they didn't misjudge. They do this on purpose. Also, I may be quoting you, but this is not personal. I'm actually debunking Nintendo Devil Advocacy. Because basically, it boils down to them either being actually that dumb every time a product rolls off of the shelf, or deliberately that shitty for reasons I find head-scratching to understand because the practice doesn't get them money.
 

Yoshi178

New member
Aug 15, 2014
2,108
0
0
FalloutJack said:
You are kinda' forgetting that the only reason the 're-stock' is needed is because Nintendo didn't send that many. And they didn't misjudge. They do this on purpose.
or because they need allocate stock evenly across stores through out the entire bloody country and make sure that stores with higher demand are stocked better than areas with less demand...

and also because Retail stores only have so much freaking storage space in them in to actually be able to actually hold all of the product units in the first place. did you ever think of that?
 

RaikuFA

New member
Jun 12, 2009
4,370
0
0
Neverhoodian said:
It seems like everyone has different stories about availability. It probably varies depending on where you live. I'd imagine major cities got the lion's share of units at launch, with outlying areas having to settle for the leftovers.

I haven't even bothered trying to get one yet. I figure I'll wait a week or so and see if I can get one via store walk-in. I'd like to obtain one, but not to the point that I'd be willing to wait in line for hours during the early morning (prime sleeping time for me given my 1-9 p.m. work schedule) just to have a chance at getting it.

Elvis Starburst said:
You know, I see a lot of people mentioning stores running out of SNES minis, and saying they aren't restocking. The thing JUST came out, do you have any idea of how ordering stock even works? It doesn't ship in a day, it takes a bit of time. A store isn't gonna run out, and then immediately look outside and say "Oh look, the re-stock truck is here!" Like... chill out, give it a few days or even a week
Exactly. I work at a major retailer, and it usually takes a few days to restock an item if we sell out quickly. This applies to all merchandise, from the hottest electronics to hand soap.
I said this earlier but there's a rumor that stores like Walmart, BB Target and GS limit stock based on if that area is considered a poor area to limit theft.
 

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
1,163
0
0
FalloutJack said:
Elvis Starburst said:
You know, I see a lot of people mentioning stores running out of SNES minis, and saying they aren't restocking. The thing JUST came out, do you have any idea of how ordering stock even works? It doesn't ship in a day, it takes a bit of time. A store isn't gonna run out, and then immediately look outside and say "Oh look, the re-stock truck is here!" Like... chill out, give it a few days or even a week
You are kinda' forgetting that the only reason the 're-stock' is needed is because Nintendo didn't send that many. And they didn't misjudge. They do this on purpose. Also, I may be quoting you, but this is not personal. I'm actually debunking Nintendo Devil Advocacy. Because basically, it boils down to them either being actually that dumb every time a product rolls off of the shelf, or deliberately that shitty for reasons I find head-scratching to understand because the practice doesn't get them money.
most stores had at least 50 units. how many units you think nintendo can produce ? first remeber that this particular product unlike the nes classic come in 3 variation. so you need three production lines. then there's how many memory units can be produxced by the companies that produce them. this also affect you productions limit. and you need warehouse space also. i mean you can produce 8 billions units to be sure that every human can have one. but where do you stock them ?

i think nintendo is really working on this, and before just bashing them, wait at least 3 months to see how the supply is going. the switch was impossible to find in march, but you can easily have one now 6 months later, wich is an improvement over the Wii...
 

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
794
0
0
Meanwhile I'm just sitting here with all my original SNES carts, and a modded PSP loaded with ROMs of all those carts. Why would I desperately need this SNES Classic? If I want to play Star Fox 2, I'll just grab a reproduction cart.

Not worth the headache of trying to track one down. By all accounts it's better than the NES Classic, yes, but still a shitshow. A good friend of mine is one of those many people who had his original preorder canceled, and as far as I can tell he hasn't been able to get one.

That said, if Nintendo can manage to reach a point where I can just browse to Amazon or something on my own time a few weeks or months down the line and grab one of these with no issue, then yeah, I'll buy one.
 

OpiateChicken

New member
Jul 2, 2009
347
0
0
I got one from walmart canada online, wasn't too hard. Found out what time they would start selling it on their twitter feed, then set my alarm to wake up 5 minutes before that. I refreshed the page once a minute or so for about 5 minutes and got one within that timeframe before they sold out.
 

kilenem

New member
Jul 21, 2013
903
0
0
Its better then last year. You couldn't preorder the nes mini, stores had 3 times the supply, the controller comes bundled, and even though the SNES mini cost 20 dollars more then the Nes mini the Ebay Prices for the Nes Mini were more then the SNES Mini from last year. Personally Im waiting for supply to hit demand so I can get the European version. The scalpers seems like they bought like a 1/4 of them.
 

Neverhoodian

New member
Apr 2, 2008
3,832
0
0
RaikuFA said:
Neverhoodian said:
It seems like everyone has different stories about availability. It probably varies depending on where you live. I'd imagine major cities got the lion's share of units at launch, with outlying areas having to settle for the leftovers.

I haven't even bothered trying to get one yet. I figure I'll wait a week or so and see if I can get one via store walk-in. I'd like to obtain one, but not to the point that I'd be willing to wait in line for hours during the early morning (prime sleeping time for me given my 1-9 p.m. work schedule) just to have a chance at getting it.

Elvis Starburst said:
You know, I see a lot of people mentioning stores running out of SNES minis, and saying they aren't restocking. The thing JUST came out, do you have any idea of how ordering stock even works? It doesn't ship in a day, it takes a bit of time. A store isn't gonna run out, and then immediately look outside and say "Oh look, the re-stock truck is here!" Like... chill out, give it a few days or even a week
Exactly. I work at a major retailer, and it usually takes a few days to restock an item if we sell out quickly. This applies to all merchandise, from the hottest electronics to hand soap.
I said this earlier but there's a rumor that stores like Walmart, BB Target and GS limit stock based on if that area is considered a poor area to limit theft.
Whoops, I missed your initial post. My bad.

I've only worked at a single store for my current job, so I can't claim to know if restock time differs depending on location. It wouldn't surprise me though. Another factor based on my anecdotal evidence is space. My store inherited its current building from another business, and it's far smaller than the norm. Simply put, we don't have the space to stock huge numbers of consoles on the sales floor or backroom.
 

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
16,755
0
0
I asked my local Gamestop how many extra they would get. They told me they'd have about 10 or 11 extra. By the time I got there in the morning there were ten people in line. I figured I had a decent shot of getting one and opted to wait. Turns out they had five extra.

I went across the street to Best Buy and saw people who I had already seen at Gamestop walking out empty handed and confirmed that Best Buy was out of stock. I didn't bother with any other stores as I had chores to do and saw no reason to think any other store would fare better.

I'm holding off on saying Nintendo is fucking up as I understand they supplied more and store will have more in stock soon.

Besides that, is anyone really surprised that Nintendo understocked on the SNES mini? I know I'm not. I wasn't even upset that I didn't get one. It was expected. I merely took a chance on getting one.
 

MonsterCrit

New member
Feb 17, 2015
594
0
0
Kinda just tuned that out since it's clear by now NIntendo still hasn't done a lot to deal with the supply chain issue. . They like the media buzz that lines outside stores generate. But guess what Most smart people, well.. they remember that Emulators are a thing and have been around for years.

WHat's actually driving thsi and the NES classic I think is the scarcity. A psychological mind-hack.It may have no practical value but the fact that you have one and someone else doesn't is enough to make it valueable to someone.

Sorry Nintendo. Not gonna be a part of that. Especially when you realize how they cancelled the NES classic.
 

sageoftruth

New member
Jan 29, 2010
3,417
0
0
Considering the SNES hadn't been available for purchase for the last 10 years, I'm surprised you don't all already have emulated copies of the games you're seeking. That was what I turned to back in high school when my old SNES stopped working. I'd already paid for the original so no feelings of guilt there.