Sniping is officially WORTHLESS in Black Ops

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
hobo_welf said:
And everything you just mentioned has either been fixed, taken out, or ballanced, including quickscoping. It's just laughable how you all seem to think that you're the majoirty here and that everyone else is just jealous of your 1337 #4x0r skills, no, you're not the majority, and the people got what they wanted, so either snipe like a man or use something else.
I think it's funny you use the phrase "snipe like a man" to describe laying in a bush trying not to be discovered. If it were any other weapon, that would be the complete opposite of "playing like a man".

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Phoenixmgs said:
THEJORRRG said:
Uhh...don't quickscope then? DURR
Snipe like a SNIPER. Quickscoping is cheap and cowardly. There was never any skill involved, anyway. It's a player exploiting the aim assist.
FIX THE EXPLOIT!!! You just said aim assist is the culprit, not quickscoping. Treyarch just covered up the exploit and broke sniping.
Exactly! Just get rid of aim assist.

hobo_welf

Aug 15, 2008
MetallicaRulez0 said:
hobo_welf said:
And everything you just mentioned has either been fixed, taken out, or ballanced, including quickscoping. It's just laughable how you all seem to think that you're the majoirty here and that everyone else is just jealous of your 1337 #4x0r skills, no, you're not the majority, and the people got what they wanted, so either snipe like a man or use something else.
I think it's funny you use the phrase "snipe like a man" to describe laying in a bush trying not to be discovered. If it were any other weapon, that would be the complete opposite of "playing like a man".
You misquoted. I did not say that.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
hobo_welf said:
MetallicaRulez0 said:
hobo_welf said:
You misquoted. I did not say that.
Correct, I quoted the wrong person in that multi-quote post. My bad.

My point is still valid though. Apparently "sniping like a man" involves playing like a vagina. Ironic.

THEJORRRG said:
Exactly! Just get rid of aim assist.
I don't think you understand how much aim assist helps console shooters. An example I've heard a lot is "trying to headshot your teammates in Halo". It's a HELL of a lot harder than getting a headshot on an enemy, because there's no sticky aim at all. Console shooters simply wouldn't function well without aim assist, especially online where lag must also be taken into account.

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
The Definition of sniper

n.

1. A skilled military shooter detailed to spot and pick off enemy soldiers from a concealed place.
2. One who shoots at other people from a concealed place.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Lukeydoodly said:
This happened on CoD4 before the first patch fixed it.
CoD4's sniping problem was with hit detection and a faulty ACOG scope.

Black Ops' sniping problem is Treyarch over-nerfing something that wasn't an issue to begin with, then adding to the problem by making maps that suck for sniping anyways.

There's a big difference.

keve4433

Not totally insane....YET!!!
Dec 9, 2009
I mean it's totally unfair to the shotgun user that he can't kill players far away from him and if CoD isn't realistic then having a long range shotgun that has the accuracy of an assault rifle but the stopping power of a shotgun should be included.
They did that. They were called 1887s. ;)

Lukeydoodly

Sep 9, 2008
MetallicaRulez0 said:
Lukeydoodly said:

Black Ops' sniping problem is Treyarch over-nerfing something that wasn't an issue to begin with, then adding to the problem by making maps that suck for sniping anyways.

When you scope in and shoot with a sniper rifle, the bullet will not go where you are aiming unless you WAIT 2 to 3 seconds to shoot after you scope in.
Er, nope. This sounds exactly like the R700 and .50cal before the patch.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Lukeydoodly said:
MetallicaRulez0 said:
Lukeydoodly said:

When you scope in and shoot with a sniper rifle, the bullet will not go where you are aiming unless you WAIT 2 to 3 seconds to shoot after you scope in.
Er, nope. This sounds exactly like the R700 and .50cal before the patch.
I actually didn't play CoD4 until after that patch, so I wouldn't know. However, it is a different situation. Infinity Ward released sniping with bugs, Treyarch released sniping with intentional changes that make it utterly useless.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
Geekosaurus said:
Taxman1 said:
Couldn't read through 20 pages to see if this was posted before but
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJlMCLOddmk&feature=sub
You can clearly see quick scoping is still doable (Which isn't even a big deal, any try hard that tries to quick scope the entire game will lose)
Well this video disproves the whole thread.
Actually, that wasn't quickscoping to me. That was simply scoping.

EDIT:
Auric said:
Eh, quickscoping was never that hard anyway. Quite frankly it needed a nerf, though the 2-3 seconds thing does seem a bit excessive.

0.5 seconds or less seems more like it.
It's actually less than .5; the kid who posted is exaggerating.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
I haven't played black ops yet, but this seems stupid.

It's one thing it making it hard to aim, it's another to make the bullet do no damage.
If it really was that much of an issue (quickscoping, that is), then they should have made firing during scoping in, or right afterwards cause accuracy to go down a ton.

But making it so the bullet doesn't even cause damage,even at point blank range? horrible.

Besides the fact that in real life, a sniper is just easy to aim with at close range as any other gun.

PurpleSky

Apr 20, 2010
[HEADING=3] BLACK OPS IS NOT A NEW GAME , IT'S JUST ANOTHER FPS, AND A VIRAL ONE AT THAT, WHAT IS THERE TO TALK ABOUT? [/HEADING]

seriously you people will argue over fruit and vegetables in the supermarket, it's JUST a fps

and I played it it's nothing to care about, unless you were dumb enough to pay 60$ and expected something else

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
hmmmm

A tenuous dilemma.

The cult of the kill seems to be breathing down our necks pretty hard here. I think, perhaps, the crux of that matter is that snipers want to have the pulse pumping, moment by moment action that other weapon users have. The need to rack up kills to level into the system makes it NECESSARY that one curtail their builds for that purpose.

If the game literally has no room for snipers to sit back in friendly controlled territory to snipe, that is unfortunate, but I fear that is leaving out details. I also feel that the video chosen by the OP was diametrically opposed to this style of play, even maligning the methods used by snipers to defend themselves in these circumstances.

I am cautious in asserting my personal experiences, so please take these next items with due accord. I have enjoyed sniping in the past. I have despaired the process of moving from one sniping location to another, because that is when the sniper is supposed to be most vulnerable (I a address this further down). The rewards, however, for getting into enemy territory and sniping my opponents from a tactical position are profound. Therein... there are tools for those whom need to A travel as a sniper, and B defend a sniping position. Most war based FPS has included them for some time now. Explosives applied as a form of perimeter control buy you time and a warning if you are being approached or have been detected. Lastly, fighting off attackers is the height of excitement for this model. Not because you need to KILL the person, but because you should already have an escape route planned, and a reason for them not to follow. A volley of bullets from a pistol and a few well places grenades will leave a sniper in fine condition to slip away. A SKILLFUL volley of bullets and a well placed grenade will kill your attacker and give you time to choose a new position.

Then again, perhaps I play for the wrong reasons. As I mentioned initially, the cult of the kill dictates that you must achieve the highest number of kills, in the shortest period of time, dying as little as possible in the process as a subordinate concern to the previously stated primary objective. I have my builds I used for that. I also have builds I use for fun.

TL;DR

So I heartily recommend, but do not find myself so bold as to admonish, that we all remember to have fun while playing our games!

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Bocaj2000 said:
Auric said:
Eh, quickscoping was never that hard anyway. Quite frankly it needed a nerf, though the 2-3 seconds thing does seem a bit excessive.

0.5 seconds or less seems more like it.
It's actually less than .5; the kid who posted is exaggerating.
The wait time between the scope coming up and your shot actually being accurate is a lot closer to 2 seconds than it is half a second, I can tell you that.

I've actually discovered a way that allows you to quick scope nearly as effectively as CoD4, however the map layouts still prevent snipers from being very effective. There's simply too many short alleys and tight corners on EVERY map in Black Ops. They're specifically designed to prevent long corridors, which is a shame.

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
Cingal said:
Given Assault Rifles are extremely effective at any range, I don't why people are so upset when another weapon is too.

Only balance, right?
Because an assault rifle isn't a one-shot-kill unless it's a headshot.

the lapalminator

Jul 27, 2010
i can see thousands of cod fanatics going

WHAAAHHH NO MORE QUICKSCOPING I CANT EXPLOIT CHEAP TRICKS ANYMORE WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.....

jesus fucking christ call the whambulance

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Phoenixmgs said:
Akalabeth said:
For all the bitching and moaning in this thread, the main poster is probably still gonna play this game and still gonna have fun doing it so move on. I don't normally snipe but sniping is more fun when you're camping anyway. Pick as many people off as you can before someone takes notice and goes out of their way to take you out.
The only CoD I ever bought was CoD4. I never bought WaW or MW2 and I only played them at my cousin's house for a few hours. Check my trophies if you want, my PSN is Phoenixmgs. I don't own a 360 either.
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. You're complaining about something that makes a game more balanced in a game that you don't even own?
I fail to see the logic in that.

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
Bocaj2000 said:
Geekosaurus said:
Taxman1 said:
Couldn't read through 20 pages to see if this was posted before but
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJlMCLOddmk&feature=sub
You can clearly see quick scoping is still doable (Which isn't even a big deal, any try hard that tries to quick scope the entire game will lose)
Well this video disproves the whole thread.
Actually, that wasn't quickscoping to me. That was simply scoping.
I don't know...it was pretty quick. Obviously not to the same speed as MW2, but fairly quick seeing as it has supposedly been nerfed.