So....a Duke Nukem movie, I did not expect this to happen in this day and age.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private

So many things in my head right now:

1. I'm amazed this wasn't made ages ago like back in the 1990s

2. Who are they gonna cast as the Duke himself?

3. Curious that this news comes out a few weeks after the leak of the 2001 Build of Duke Nukem Forever, like what is the Duke brand suddenly revitalized and a new game is coming soon as well? (And if it does I hope they take notes from Doom Eternal)

4. Ideally this movie can work if they get it right. Focus on being that 1980s Action movie cheese with the seedy grindhouse feel of a Quintin Tarantino/Robert Rodriguez film, heck I'm amazed this movie isn't being handled by Robert Rodriguez, Duke Nukem seems up his alley.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It will stick with our minds Forever!
Duke isn't relevant anymore (if ever). I hope they go with Yahtzee's version. https://www.escapistmagazine.com/yahtzee-could-have-written-duke-nukem-forever/
The people who usually say that either hate Duke, or don't care much for the franchise to begin with. Not saying that you are that person, but that's usually what it boils down to. People that never liked the games or character to begin with. I'm not a hardcore Duke fan myself, but I wouldn't mind another game coming as long as it's done right by people who care. The problem with Duke Forever (aside from the multiple delays that went on for a decade) was that the team that came in for the 2011 release. They didn't understand the character and had no idea what they were doing. A major contention being that the world always revolved around Duke. If you go back and look at the the older games, a majority of them did not have this problem.

With your statement, you might as well say that Lo Wang is no longer relevant. B.J. Blacksowisck is no longer relevant. Serious Sam is no longer relevant (don't even start about Serious Sam 4). They're only become "irrelevant", when people don't know what to do with them and start doing stupid stuff. I remember when we were hopping up that puff of smoke with Lara Croft, after Angel of Darkness bombed hard.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Assuming this is actually finished it wont be good unless they really deviate from the games since the Duke Nukem from the games would be so damn obnoxious.

Serious Sam is no longer relevant (don't even start about Serious Sam 4).
Whats wrong with Sam from Serious Sam 4? He can be irreverence like Duke but can reign it in when its called for and actually be someone you would want to hang out with.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Assuming this is actually finished it wont be good unless they really deviate from the games since the Duke Nukem from the games would be so damn obnoxious.

Whats wrong with Sam from Serious Sam 4? He can be irreverence like Duke but can reign it in when its called for and actually be someone you would want to hang out with.
Serious Sam 4 is by no means a bad game, but could have been better. That expansion pack, stand alone DLC is really great from what I heard though. The only reason I threw that out there, is because I was thinking he was going to start about how it's not a good game. That's the series and character is no one relevant, etc. I just wanted to put a cork in it, before he started

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Serious Sam 4 is by no means a bad game, but could have been better. That expansion pack, stand alone DLC is really great from what I heard though. The only reason I threw that out there, is because I was thinking he was going to start about how it's not a good game. That's the series and character is no one relevant, etc. I just wanted to put a cork in it, before he started
Oh, I thought you were talking about Serious Sam's personality, which from the games is much much better then Duke's.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
If I were to be stuck in lift with any of the two, Sam would be marginally less awkward than Duke. And what is a film, if not being trapped in a lift with other people for a couple of hours?

Reactions: BrawlMan

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
If I were to be stuck in lift with any of the two, Sam would be marginally less awkward than Duke. And what is a film, if not being trapped in a lift with other people for a couple of hours?
How are they going to do the over-the-top grindhouse sleaze of Duke in modern age? This is a dude who gets blowjobs from, presumably legal, teenage twins, who then get raped to death by alien tentacles.
And every woman he meets is either being raped by alien tentacles, or is topless, or is on her way to one of those two outcomes.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Sam would be so much more tolerable, there is more to him then strip clubs and 80s references.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
With your statement, you might as well say that Lo Wang is no longer relevant. B.J. Blacksowisck is no longer relevant. Serious Sam is no longer relevant (don't even start about Serious Sam 4). They're only become "irrelevant" and when people don't know what to do with them and start doing stupid stuff. I remember when we were hopping up that puff of smoke with Lara Croft, after Angel of Darkness bombed hard.
Well... some of these games come from an age where computer game characters didn't really have characters. They're just really a sprite that goes places and does stuff. The creators never thought that far at the time. But then narrative arrives into games, and they need to create some sort of personality, significant backstory and so on. Firstly, this is going to ruin how some people imagined the character to be, because they'll have filled that initial void with their own imaginations in different ways. Secondly, many computer game designers aren't exactly narrative and character focused in their skillset, so they'll tend to mediocrity and cliche in these areas.

Duke Nukem is sort of awkward. Despite being 90s, he's more a throwback to the 80s and society has moved on. It's very unclear to me whether Duke Nukem can be produced in anything like the feel of the original, because it will invite absolutely tons of flak unless they leaven it in ways that destroy the authenticity. I just don't think anyone would want to take that on (with a significant backer/budget), so we're almost guaranteed to get a sort of bowdlerised Duke Nukem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gyrobot and McElroy

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
How are they going to do the over-the-top grindhouse sleaze of Duke in modern age? This is a dude who gets blowjobs from, presumably legal, teenage twins, who then get raped to death by alien tentacles.
And every woman he meets is either being raped by alien tentacles, or is topless, or is on her way to one of those two outcomes.
Simple, we tone down that Duke Nukem Forever-isms.

No Giant Boobs on fleshy alien walls

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Sam would be so much more tolerable, there is more to him then strip clubs and 80s references.
In the modern world, can see Duke being like one misjudged social trigger away from ranting about "blue-haired feminists," the "great replacement" and sweatily asking how much you know about "adrenochrome" and "the Clinton body count."
At most, Sam might post an "all lives matter" hashtag before hastily taking it down once someone explains the context and connotations.

Reactions: Thaluikhain