So A Teacher At My School Was Just Fired...

Heaven's Guardian

Oct 22, 2011
The guy was being stupid, and probably should have been suspended one day without pay or something like that for the Jackass stunt. The Wal-Mart thing could have been done in my uni social psych class, so I think that could actually be done properly, assuming that he felt like it. As for being fired? It seems a bit excessive. To an elementary school class that would have been a fireable offense, but high school students can deal with it; my seventh grade art teacher showed movies with topless women, so the administrators are just terrified that the moral guardians in SC are a lot more aggressive than Quebecois.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
As an employee of my local district I will say he should have expected this outcome, as stupid as it is. There are a great many things in our contracts that we are not allowed to do. The vast majority of these rules are added due to law suits and civil suits that other districts have lost.

At the end of the day you only have your selves, and a lot of lobbyists who think teachers want nothing more than to corrupt your children towards whoever is in power's political agenda, to blame.

As an added note, Oregon was considering a law that would make it illegal to ever date a former student of a school you work for, even if you were hired after that student graduated. Some people are really just that stupid. It was eventually reworked till you just couldn't ever date any of your former student regardless of age or years after graduation, and last I heard it was still being reworked because nobody involved was happy with it.

BonGookKumBop

Feb 24, 2010
I can see why this guy was fired. Beyond the content that he showed the students, he intentionally made poor choices. Different school districts have different policies and this might have been perfectly acceptable in some districts. This teacher, however, obviously knew he was breaking the rules when he turned off the movie when a district employee came in and then turned it back on when he left.

I also don't buy the whole "this might be a good teacher because all the students like him" argument. Most of the high school students I've known only like the teachers that let them goof off in class and still get good grades. I've known a few teachers that were liked because they got the students interested in the subject, but those teachers were generally only liked by half of their students while the other half complained that they actually had to do work or that they got in trouble for goofing off. That fact that students are rallying around a teacher that is on administrative leave for breaking district policy makes me question if this is his first offense.

This guy knowingly broke district policy and now he is facing the consequences of his actions. The pendulum swings both ways. A substitute teacher was fired in the district where I taught for discussing religion. All he did was respond to a student asking him if he was a virgin by saying that he didn't believe in premarital sex and that he wasn't married yet. Teachers today need to learn to divert students back to their work when they ask off topic questions.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Terminate him, replace him with a robot teacher that comes into class, drones on for 45 minutes, teaches nothing and gets out. Only sensible solution really.

/sarcasm off

Seriously, wtf? Yeah, it's a shitty movie, but it cheers up the class and the teachers being more relateable makes students pay more attention to what he's actually teaching. It's not like he blew off work and had them watch a movie (though I've had that done on my classes a few times when we had nothing to do, we were watching South Park actually), he just played a few scenes.

Slap him on the wrist if you'd like, but firing the guy for that? Criminal charges? What the fuck are these people smoking?

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
While I don't really believe that he should get fired if this was an isolated incident, it was pretty stupid on his part to show them that film while they were meant to be learning. This probably isn't his first offence though. If he has had to be reprimanded several times already, this may have been the straw that broke the camels back.

WeAreStevo

Sep 22, 2011
CODE-D said:
WE watched much worse in my sociology class.
And in sex ed they show us much much much worse where stds come to topic.
So I find this odd.
Was the sociology class in College or High School?

I agree with you, don't get me wrong. While in High School, we watched movies that, while not as mindless as Jackass, were quite inappropriate. We watched a movie (name escapes me) that had a pretty graphic sex scene in it for our Art class (it had something to do with art?) and in Middle School while learning about the Civil War we watched "Glory" (All I recall is 6th grade me watching a guy's head get blown off by a cannon).

Granted this was in the early 90's and I lived in the Bay Area, California, so we're much more liberal here. Also, I hate to say this, but ever since the 80's people have become more vigilant against protecting our youth from "violence." Case in point: Look at movies from the 70's and 80's geared towards children (Watership Down, Monster Squad, hell, even Ghostbusters) and then try to compare them to children's movies today. Parents I know now would not even dream of letting their children watch movies like that, which they themselves grew up on.

I think that Jackass is no different.

Now, for a counter point.

Whereas Jackass is nothing more than a bunch of overgrown man-children being douchey, it still doesn't merrit being shown in a High School Class in which the professor should be teaching something. The way that Public Education is already being cast as a joke, the last thing school administrators need is a teacher who gives the media a reason to further this belief. If it was a free period, then fine. But since there is no class where this type of movie would be applicable, then I have to side with the school on this one. A shitty thing overall (I'm sure he is a nice guy) but he should have known better.

sabercrusader

Jul 18, 2009
Wearing a sock puppet on his genitalia is much better than what everyone in my school has to go through in sex ed. They showed the whole damn thing, uncensored, including the female genitalia also, WITH the diseases like genital warts and such and such. I guess you could always make the case that those pictures were educational, whereas this video was not, however, I can't honestly believe, being a high schooler myself, that they think that the kids haven't already been exposed to that kind of stuff. Now, I'm not saying what he did was right, nor should he get off scot free, because it was a very stupid move, but firing him? Seems a bit much to me.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
While its a stupid reason to get fired, its still valid despite anyone else's opinions here. A teacher is charged with a student's health and well being while at school, and as such must adhere to strict policies on what is/is not shown to the students. Remember, however cool you think this teacher may be, some parents aren't cool with that and until said child is of age, parents have rule over their kids. Thus to avoid lawsuits from overbearing parents who probably don't care much about their kids as much as they think they do (and more about their own world views being superimposed on their kid) schools have policies where a teacher just can't show whatever the hell they want in class. Thats what permission slips get sent home for.
Case in point: Had a teacher who wanted to show Gettysburg for our American History class, but since it was rated R we had to bring home permission slips for our parents to sign or sit out the movie.
Violate school policy and you get axed, sorry. Them's the rules and no teacher is too good a teacher to not follow the rules and get away with it.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Well that could have been prevented, through the use of brain power. Jackass overall is a movie series that has little merit in my opinion. It most definitely has no educational merit. Why anyone would think that it was a good idea to watch it while working a a teacher at a high school let alone show it to students is beyond me. The guy was not bright; he should be fired.

Fiannaz

Mar 20, 2009
Ye sure maybe he shouldnt have shown the vid to the class that was kinda stupid but getting fired for it? Why on earth would u get fired for something like that? There are way worse stuff that u have to endure during that age in classes sadly. But seriously a police investigation for something this trivial? I guess theres a huge difference between going to school in the US and here in Sweden. Sure u wouldnt show a movie like Jackass 2 in class but even if u did there would be no silly mothers calling in to report it to the school board.

Some laws are just weird. Made by weird ppl who thinks that what we watch on TV or do in video games reflect on how we are outside of it. After every school shooting or other abnormal activity involving kids they usually look at what the kid does outside of school. Oh he was playing counter strike. So i see thats how he learned to kill with guns :/ Then all those morally mothers get to claim that because he was playing this or that or watching this or that or even listening to this or that these things should be forbidden by law. Jez gimme a break not much u watch or hear affect u in such a strong way to make u go out and shoot some1 or something similiar.

And to end with a funny comment: "Computer games don't effect kids... If Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music..."

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
As bad as it all is, by hiding the video when the technician walked in, the teacher obviously knew something was going to happen if word got out he showed the class the video. He knew it was wrong, yet still continued, and his poor judgement lead to the termination of his contract.

It's harsh, but really fair. Shame too, if he was such a nice guy. It's just a silly error, but one that was still made.

BelmontWolf

Feb 27, 2012
at my old school one of the art teachers used to come up behind female students when they were working and rub their shoulders. he was never fired or warned about it but then one year an enraged dad came into a class and broke his nose over a desk neither the dad nor the teacher were seen again and to this day i dont think anyone knows what happened to them X.x
so showing kids jackass is really nothing by comparison

Xyliss

Mar 21, 2010
As a teacher I totally agree with him being fired regardless of what he's like normally. This is inappropriate to show to high school pupils. (yes I'm aware they probably watch this themselves but as a professional he shouldn't be showing them)

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
Though what he did was kind of stupid, he sounds like a nice guy :p. Can't see why one small thing should get him fired. Plus it's high school in 2012. It's not like "leaving much to the imagination" is a huge thing then >_>

Jasper Jeffs

Nov 22, 2009
What the fuck, I lost my Science GCSE because I was in bottom set (out of like 8 total sets) and the teacher decided to give up teaching, told us to stop working and watch Band of Brothers instead. I failed ICT because the teacher, who was new, thought the only way to get students to listen to him was to be a gimp and tell people to stand outside for all of the lesson if you so much as fucking smile. Half of everyone's total lessons were spent sat outside in the corridor. I failed Maths because, again, I was in the bottom set and we weren't worthy enough to sit in the main hall for the exam, so we sat in some classroom with a single invigilator who decided to tell us stories throughout the test. Fuck an exam, it's story time apparently. Prior to the test, I had a Zimbabwean substitute Maths teacher for 2 years who told naughty kids to sit in the heads classroom who also taught top set Math groups only, groups which learnt shit that was not only beyond our capability but also not our fucking test.

All of this, and someone gets fired over that shit? My friend got back-handed in the face by that same head of Math in like year 8 (with about 15 witnesses (including me, it was hilarious) and a complaint from his mother) and that guy didn't even get fired, but some guy who shows a funny clip does? Wut. I'd like to introduce the people who fired him to my PE teacher who, upon finding out a pupil took a picture of a teacher's ass and got caught (camera phones make noises? derp), had some other pupils send the picture of the aforementioned ass to his phone in a class he was covering.

It's retarded some of the shit people get away with. I can forget it and move on though, but what the fuck when people get fired over something so minuscule.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
One of the main things I've noticed...

Obsideo said:
Poston apparently showed several minutes of the "Jackass" movie and then turned it off when a computer technician entered the classromroom. He then put the movie back on the screen when the technician left the room.
He knew what he was doing was not okay.

He was in the wrong. Police charges seems a bit extreme, but letting him keep the job without some sort of penalty sounds stupid.

I Have No Idea

Aug 5, 2011
Really? This warrants termination. In 8th grade health class (8th grade!) we watched a video of some guy's penis actually jizzing in a girls vagina. Yes, you read that right. The camera was inside the chick's vag.

This really is a non-issue. Yes, I think he should be reprimanded to some degree because he showed it in class, but nowhere on the harsh side, and definitely not termination. But do you really think that high school teens haven't seen stuff like this (or even the exact movie) already? They're trying to forget the fact that these are teenagers.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
maddawg IAJI said:
CM156 said:
maddawg IAJI said:
CM156 said:
maddawg IAJI said:
CM156 said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Blablahb said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Da fuck are you talking about?! If that's suppose to be a joke, I gotta say, it ain't funny. Not in the slightest.
If only it was a joke, but the pro-violence lobby of the NRA is all-powerfull, and not a hundred school shootings, 30.000+ deaths a year and murder rates 6-33 times as much as comparable countries makes the US reconsider the free arms and murders for everyone laws they have.
1) The NRA does not encourage violence, in fact, I do believe that the local chapter of the NRA near my home actually holds gun safety classes, which each NRA member had to pass before being able to own a gun.

2) Several of the murders done with firearms in this country are done with poor intercity youths who have procured the gun illegally(Which is a felony) Yes, gun laws need to be changed and yes, some states are far too lax on gun ownership. But I will state this, should you remove the guns, it will not stop or lower crime, it will just cause fatalities due to knives or blunt weapons to rise as the UK has shown us.

3) I don't care what the fuck your argument is, your attempt to equate this small breach of school policy to a public shooting is down right offensive to those who are victims of gun violence not just in America, but everywehre . Please, think before you type and don't try to derail the thread.
Question, if I may, sir:

Don't such actions, specifically under number 3, violate the terms of the forum? Thank you for your time, good sir.
It use to, I'm not sure if it does anymore.
*Checks forum terms of use*

Trolling
Posting inflammatory, extraneous or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion
Offensive Posts
Please read what you wrote before you post it and think if anyone else could find it offensive
If I'm not mistaken, you are (or were) a mod.
I was, but I sacrificed my powers to seal a dimensional rift that threatened all of civilization due to the release of toxic gas monsters (You're welcome!) and I haven't been too familiar with the recent edit on the terms and conditions.
I thank you very much for your noble sacrifice then. Without you, we would all be dead.

But yeah. I don't know. I haven't really noticed a change in forum rules an a while. So who knows.

Thank you for your time regardless.
It is quite alright, a 50 foot gold statue of me would be more then enough to pay me back and I thank you for having manners my good man!
Sorry, we don't have enough gold to build a statue that big. How about a silver one? A silver one that shoots lasers from it's eyes.

Also, glad to see manners here as well.

OT: I wonder why he thought this was a good idea.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
CM156 said:
maddawg IAJI said:
CM156 said:
maddawg IAJI said:
CM156 said:
maddawg IAJI said:
CM156 said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Blablahb said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Da fuck are you talking about?! If that's suppose to be a joke, I gotta say, it ain't funny. Not in the slightest.
If only it was a joke, but the pro-violence lobby of the NRA is all-powerfull, and not a hundred school shootings, 30.000+ deaths a year and murder rates 6-33 times as much as comparable countries makes the US reconsider the free arms and murders for everyone laws they have.
1) The NRA does not encourage violence, in fact, I do believe that the local chapter of the NRA near my home actually holds gun safety classes, which each NRA member had to pass before being able to own a gun.

2) Several of the murders done with firearms in this country are done with poor intercity youths who have procured the gun illegally(Which is a felony) Yes, gun laws need to be changed and yes, some states are far too lax on gun ownership. But I will state this, should you remove the guns, it will not stop or lower crime, it will just cause fatalities due to knives or blunt weapons to rise as the UK has shown us.

3) I don't care what the fuck your argument is, your attempt to equate this small breach of school policy to a public shooting is down right offensive to those who are victims of gun violence not just in America, but everywehre . Please, think before you type and don't try to derail the thread.
Question, if I may, sir:

Don't such actions, specifically under number 3, violate the terms of the forum? Thank you for your time, good sir.

Trolling
Posting inflammatory, extraneous or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion
Offensive Posts
Please read what you wrote before you post it and think if anyone else could find it offensive
I was, but I sacrificed my powers to seal a dimensional rift that threatened all of civilization due to the release of toxic gas monsters (You're welcome!) and I haven't been too familiar with the recent edit on the terms and conditions.
I thank you very much for your noble sacrifice then. Without you, we would all be dead.

But yeah. I don't know. I haven't really noticed a change in forum rules an a while. So who knows.

It is quite alright, a 50 foot gold statue of me would be more then enough to pay me back and I thank you for having manners my good man!
Sorry, we don't have enough gold to build a statue that big. How about a silver one? A silver one that shoots lasers from it's eyes.

Isn't the price of silver sky rocketing these days? Tell you what, how about we settle on just renaming your town after me and holding a biyearly parade in my honor?

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
maddawg IAJI said:
CM156 said:
maddawg IAJI said:
CM156 said:
maddawg IAJI said:
CM156 said:
maddawg IAJI said:
CM156 said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Blablahb said:
maddawg IAJI said:

Question, if I may, sir:

Trolling
Offensive Posts

Isn't the price of silver sky rocketing these days? Tell you what, how about we settle on just renaming your town after me and holding a biyearly parade in my honor?
My town is Saint Louis. So that might be a wee bit hard. I don't know if I can convince them to rename it "Saint maddawg IAJI", but I'll bring it up at the next meeting of the city council.

Also, we have far too many parades. no, really. I can't tell you how many times they made it hard to leave after work.