So according to some feminists, this anti-rape ad campaign is sexist

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
While the board may have had good intentions, these ads show that rape culture is alive and well in our society. Alcohol is definitely a huge factor when it comes to sexual assault, but in no circumstances is it ever the victim?s fault. Again we see our culture continuing to teach ?Don?t get raped!? instead of ?Don?t rape.? And instead of teaching people how to make sure they?re properly getting consent from someone they?re hooking up with, our society perpetuates a mindset that makes women feel guilty for a crime committed against them.

http://feministing.com/2011/12/07/pa-liquor-control-board-to-teens-rape-is-your-fault-and-your-friends-fault/

Huh, so apparently now it's sexist to teach women rape awareness and prevention. I disagree with that feminist site: "Don't get raped" is far more effective of a message than "Don't rape". This is for one very good reason: normal men who aren't psychopaths don't need an ad campaign to tell us not to rape women, and the rapists out there aren't going to magically stop their heinous crimes because some poster tells them it's bad. Personally, I would be extremely insulted as a moral, law-abiding young man if somebody told me, "Hey you, guy, stop raping women. And if you're not, it doesn't matter because you could do it one day, so you better watch yourself."

It's not "blaming the victim" to teach women rape awareness and prevention anymore than telling people to lock their doors and buy an alarm is blaming the victim of a burglary. Rape, like murder, theft, or any other crime, will never go away completely, so it is important for young women to learn how to protect themselves.

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
I'd rather teach my daughter to be pro-active in her own protection, then try to complete the impossible task of finding every rapist and would-be rapist and tell them not to rape people.

And one of the thing I would tell my children male or female is don't get shit faced while partying. Just the for fact of lessening the chance of self injury.

What the ad says to me

1. While drunk your decision making process is skewed. - True. Bad ideas seems like absolute great ideas.

2. If your friends are busy getting plowed, you can't depend on them to keep you safe or steer your clear of making the wrong choice. Like leaving the party with a stranger. Or getting taken from the party by a stranger.

How to solve these problems is don't get shit faced to point of helplessness.

But regardless of partying or drinking, or state of inebriation, women get raped.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I guess here its more the Idea that "Rape" is a potential danger...much like a rip in the ocean or a poisinous snake in some bushes

and theae are things you take precautions with..its not about saying whos "fault" it is, because a rapist shouldnt rape, but the fact is they do

Its confronting yes, but mabye it might make people think

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
What girl is more likely to be raped.
The inebriated partiers out on the town all night tryin to hook up with good lookin guys
or
the one who knows how to control herself while having fun with friends, keeps situational awareness and knows when to call it a night.

Rape is like forest fires, you can do a lot to prevent them yourself.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
It looks like an anti-drinking campaign more than it does an anti-rape campaign. The important thing is it's just warning caution and it's a bit extreme to get offended at THE TEXT. What I do find ever so slightly disturbing is the almost glamorous shot of an obviously young girl's nice legs. Should they really be attracting attention to an anti-rape ad using sexually provocative imagery? She's doing the toe-pointing thing and everything.

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
While I do agree with the idea of responsible drinking as a way of preventing all kinds of unpleasant behavior, the point here is that the ad in question doesn't really talk about the person most to blame for rape. The rapists themselves.
By implying so much of the culpability on the victim or their friends, it accidentally side steps what should be the most important message, that rape is wrong. We wouldn't tell someone that got raped at a party when they drunk that it was "their fault" would we?
Well, no, not if we had a conscious or any sense of taste.
You know who likes to make fun of rape victims like that?
Violent J of the Insane Clown Posse...
Yeah, let THAT one sink in.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I guess in a very loose sense yes it is sort of sexist. In the sense that it loosely stereotypes that woman get raped. Yup that's a completely different point >.>.
usmarine4160 said:
You'd think the guy would take her underwear all the way off first, or at least off one leg.
See this is another point I wanted to make. The ad seems a bit provocative. And any kind of provocativeness in an ad against rape is bad. You could slap on an ad for underwear and it'd still make sense. Then again this is me over-thinking it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Matthew94 said:
So this ad says that if she gets shitfaced and fucks a guy but later regrets it it's his fault and he is a rapist?

That's fucking stupid
no, because that isnt rape...

they are refering to a guy taking advantage of somone in no state to give consent (probably physically forcing), a sitution where the normal guy would go "yeah, this isnt right"

of coause the situation you decribe is a very grey one

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
"Alcohol is definitely a huge factor when it comes to sexual assault, but in no circumstances is it ever the victim's fault" I see these two as kind of contradictory, take some responsibility ... if I leave my front door open and I get robbed, it is partly my fault for doing that.

Should I have to lock my door? No 'cos everybody should be decent enough not to steal but people do steal and people do rape, so stop being stupid and getting so boozed up you become a target!

Using the same analogy, imagine if the police showed up to my flat.

"was your door locked?"
"no"
"why?"
"people should be decent enough not to rob me"
" ....... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

"were you drunk?"
"yes"
"ok, were you wearing reveling clothes?"
"yes"
"ok, were you leading guys on only to turn them away?"
"yes"
"ok, were you alone in a dark alley?"
"yes"
"damn those rapists! Picking on a poor innocent woman ..."

I am not saying they were asking for it or encouraging it but they made themselves a target.

Apr 24, 2008
Both "don't rape" and "avoid being raped" are both very much widely taught sentiments...I don't know where she got the idea that wasn't true.

Personally, I'm really not convinced that we have the right to drink ourselves defenseless and never expect anything bad to happen as a result of it. It might sound cold, but, in the right circumstances, getting raped can be at least partly your fault.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Huh....so apparently asking for an advertising campaign that puts more effort on encouraging intelligent decisions and non-violent behavior is sexist.....what definition of the word are you using?

PhantomEcho

Nov 25, 2011
Hey, I'm a guy... so I'm the last guy to be talking... but let's pretend this was my sister.

The first thing I would do is sit her down and tell her how ridiculously stupid she was to get plastered to the point of incomprehension. Anything that happens after that, she's responsible for... I don't care how terrible it is.

The second thing I'd do is find the sonovabitch who took advantage of her and un-man him with my .38 Detective Special.

I like to make that abundantly clear to all of my friends who ogle her, too.

Most of them laughed until they saw the gun.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
omega 616 said:
"Alcohol is definitely a huge factor when it comes to sexual assault, but in no circumstances is it ever the victim's fault" I see these two as kind of contradictory, take some responsibility ... if I leave my front door open and I get robbed, it is partly my fault for doing that.

Should I have to lock my door? No 'cos everybody should be decent enough not to steal but people do steal and people do rape, so stop being stupid and getting so boozed up you become a target!

Using the same analogy, imagine if the police showed up to my flat.

"was your door locked?"
"no"
"why?"
"people should be decent enough not to rob me"
" ....... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

"were you drunk?"
"yes"
"ok, were you wearing reveling clothes?"
"yes"
"ok, were you leading guys on only to turn them away?"
"yes"
"ok, were you alone in a dark alley?"
"yes"
"damn those rapists! Picking on a poor innocent woman ..."

I am not saying they were asking for it or encouraging it but they made themselves a target.

I dont see how revealing cloths or the "leading guys on" is going to encourage rape...if hes gonna rape you...he's gonna rape you becuase your in a vulnerable position (alone..dark ally or totally sloshed and unable to think)

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
manic_depressive13 said:
What I do find ever so slightly disturbing is the almost glamorous shot of an obviously young girl's nice legs. Should they really be attracting attention to an anti-rape ad using sexually provocative imagery? She's doing the toe-pointing thing and everything.
That was the first thing that caught my eye too, not sure if that's necessarily a bad thing though. Definitely feels a little awkward, but these ads are supposed to be placed in public areas, and are competing for our short attention spans against hundreds of other ads you'll see every day, they have to be a bit edgy to stand out.

Digitaldreamer7

Sep 30, 2008
PhantomEcho said:
Hey, I'm a guy... so I'm the last guy to be talking... but let's pretend this was my sister.

The first thing I would do is sit her down and tell her how ridiculously stupid she was to get plastered to the point of incomprehension. Anything that happens after that, she's responsible for... I don't care how terrible it is.

The second thing I'd do is find the sonovabitch who took advantage of her and un-man him with my .38 Detective Special.

I like to make that abundantly clear to all of my friends who ogle her, too.

Most of them laughed until they saw the gun.

Pretty much this.

If man/woman gets shitfaced to the point something terrible happens, be it rape, drunk driving, murder, theft etc, part or all of the blame is on them for not being a responsible adult.

If you get shitfaced and can't remember anything, much less telling someone yes or no, it's not rape, it's poor decision making on your part.. Don't ruin someones life by screaming rape.

Rape awareness is If you dress sexy/slutty and are drunk you should probably take a cab home rather then walk through the dark/bad parts of town dressed in your best club gear.

This seems like it would work better in a responsible drinking type of awareness campaign.