So according to some feminists, this anti-rape ad campaign is sexist

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
LadyRhian said:
LiquidSolstice said:
LadyRhian said:
Newtonyd said:
manic_depressive13 said:
You're claiming that women should know better than to dress provocatively because some men might think that she should expect to get raped for doing so, and they interpret that as a form of consent. That is victim blaming.
Wow guy, just wow. It is not victim blaming, it is FACT. Just like it is FACT that you increase your chances of injury by not wearing a helmet at a construction site.

Women can dress however they want. I'd be a liar if I told them I wanted them to dress in sweaters, because I appreciate the female body as much as the next guy. But with every action there are RISKS. Men seeing cleavage will be sexually attracted, it's as inevitable as gravity.

I've seen posters try to tell men this isn't a lead on before. Who knows whether it actually worked?

Telling a woman to take precautions and wear a helmet does NOT equal blame.
Try this on for size:
Oh no, a video of a proud woman telling us that the look of her skirt being related to her rape risk is ridiculous.

Well shit, I guess that means that guy at the bar DIDN'T say "She's asking for it", because that never happens. Ever. At all. It's soooooooooo misunderstood.
It's telling men that no one is "asking to be raped". Way to miss the point of the video. Why is rape the only crime that can be excused by what the victim is wearing? People who beat other people up or steal their wallet can't throw the blame on their victim don't say, "He was wearing a Giants T-shirt- I had to beat him up/steal his wallet- I couldn't help myself- he was asking for it!" Yet, let a woman wear something that shows off her body even a little and "She was wearing provocative clothing- she was asking for it!" suddenly becomes an okay defense?

If you had a nice car, locked it up, etc, and still it got stolen, you went to the police to report it and got told, "Well, sir, you surely know cars of your type are one of the most stolen cars in the US. Even though you took precautions like locking the doors, it was your fault- you should have gotten a car of a less stolen make, model or manufacturer." That would be the same type of blame rape victims get.
More horseshit.

No,you're right, it would be wrong to say "you shouldn't have gotten this car". It wouldn't be wrong to say "you can decrease your chances of getting your car stolen by parking in visible open areas, and if your car is visibly expensive, perhaps it would be better to avoid parking it in these areas".

That's all that this fucking ad is trying to say. Everyone is blowing this out of proportion, the advertisement itself in the OP is talking about helping to PREVENT rape. Why the hell does any honorable intention always have to turn in to "Oh, but this is what they REALLY meant!"

Take a deep breath, and imagine this scenario; maybe, just maybe, all this ad was trying to do was make women aware of the risks of losing control around people they don't know. Imagine that maybe, that's ALL it's trying to say. If that possibility just made your head explode, then I really don't know what to tell you, feel free to keep explaining to me how such a gesture "blames the victim".

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Labyrinth said:
omega 616 said:
So you've never so much as kissed someone. Exactly what evidence or experience are you basing your assertions on? Media representations such as that Walking Dead epsiode?

Oh dear, I hope you learn fast, you may be in for a shock.

When sex is something that happens within the body how the body feels becomes very important. It's much easier to separate minor physiological ills from the pleasure when it's something relatively external. Also, in my rather extensive experience, sex when everyone's very keen is far superior to begruding acquiescence to persistance despite not feeling it.

I can only put your apathy to rape reasons down to never encountering it personally or in someone close to you. Lucky you, though I suspect that's more due to not knowing about it than to it having never happened within your personal network. The rest of us care about it because it has massive repercussions for people and for a community. I cannot make you care which is unfortunate because it's blinkered apathy and misguided notions of gender which help perpeptuate rape culture with all the victim blaming and hurt that comes with.
Not assertions, opinions. I am not asserting that I am speaking the truth, just my opinion on what the truth is, if I am wrong I am wrong ... nothing will change, I wont be hurt or feel emotional from being wrong.

I have seen/heard these things happen in real life, a friend who I know over the net was raped twice. You may or may not count that as encountering it personally but the way I see life is "did it happen to me? No, so I don't really care/yes, how do I deal with it?". Her rape never effected me so why should I put that much care into it? Did I wish it never happened to her? Of course but me saying "are you ok?" with the other people in her life aren't going to help her get over it.

I know what I just said seems incredibly cold and emotionally dead of me but I think if I care about other people then I should care about everyone, which is way too much. Why should one person be deserving more of care than another? Anyway, this is way off topic.

I have only just woke up but this "misguided notions of gender which help perpetuate rape culture with all the victim blaming and hurt that comes with" sounds like when a girl gets raped you think every man thinks "stupid ***** deserved it", I doubt any man (except rapists) think that the woman is to blame wholly, if I had to stick a percentage on it I would say the very, absolute maximum is like 25% based on circumstance. (like the picture of the woman laying drunkenly passed out on the street, wearing a skirt hiked up round her waist, legs spread wide open with white underwear on full display kind of circumstance).

I also doubt any woman is thinking "stupid ***** deserved it" after hearing about a rape, so I don't know where this rape culture is and who is blaming the victim.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
MasochisticAvenger said:
Yes, rape is never the victim's fault. However, the question is whether or not having sex with someone who consented while under the influence of alchohol should be considered rape. As I have stated many times before, people should be held accountable for the stupid decisions they make. If someone chooses to get drunk enough to the point they can't control what they do, they shouldn't be able to complain when they do something they'll regret when they sober up.
That's something a lawyer could answer, discussing it with laymen is futile and attracts trolls. Besides, it's not really the topic of this thread, is it?

balanovich

Jan 25, 2010
Simriel said:
balanovich said:
This pretty much tells a drunk girl, not directly saying 'its your fault' but indirectly, that if she hadn't GOT drunk, yeah she wouldn't have been raped, so its her fault that it happened.
You say blame,I say warning. That has already been established. There's no point in continuing a debate if you're not going to add anything.

Dec 16, 2009
so i'd like this cleared up

-i meet someone in a club, wasted, wake up the day next to a girl i wouldnt go near sobre, would she raped me?

-i meet someone in a club, drunk, remember what we did, helped strip her off before we got down to it (so atleast have some co-ordination) wake up the day next to a girl i wouldnt go near sobre, would she raped me?

-meet in a club, both wasted, both wake up the day next to a person we wouldnt go near sobre, would we have raped eachother?

-meet in a club, both drunk, remember what we did, helped eachother strip off before we got down to it (so we both have some co-ordination) wake up the day next to a person we wouldnt go near sobre, would we have raped eachother?

in none of these scenarios did anyone ask did the other want it, but neither one objected, both did acts with being pressured.

the reason i'm curious is that i've been in all these situations, and some here have said similar situations would be rape.

to me if one person was wasted and the other sobre, i'd have said it'd be morally wrong for the sober to have sex with the wasted, even if the wasted were dry humping the sober like a horny dog.

if some one is passed out and someone has sex with them in that state, i'd say that was rape. the rapist is wrong to have done it, but we know that. the woman isnt in the wrong, but it aint a clever situation to put yourself in either. thats why education is good.
closest personal experice i can compare it to (ive never been through the horror of rape and could never imagine it) i've been so wasted i passed out in the gutter n have a vauge memory of my pockets being ruffled through and my wallet and phone being taken.
the thief was scum, no denying it, but i'd made myself an easy target. i made sure i was never that vunerable again. there is nopoint telling people not to take advantage, because those who take advantage are scum and wouldnt listen.

Captain Siphy

Dec 17, 2011
Brawndo said:
While the board may have had good intentions, these ads show that rape culture is alive and well in our society. Alcohol is definitely a huge factor when it comes to sexual assault, but in no circumstances is it ever the victim?s fault. Again we see our culture continuing to teach ?Don?t get raped!? instead of ?Don?t rape.? And instead of teaching people how to make sure they?re properly getting consent from someone they?re hooking up with, our society perpetuates a mindset that makes women feel guilty for a crime committed against them.

http://feministing.com/2011/12/07/pa-liquor-control-board-to-teens-rape-is-your-fault-and-your-friends-fault/

Huh, so apparently now it's sexist to teach women rape awareness and prevention. I disagree with that feminist site: "Don't get raped" is far more effective of a message than "Don't rape". This is for one very good reason: normal men who aren't psychopaths don't need an ad campaign to tell us not to rape women, and the rapists out there aren't going to magically stop their heinous crimes because some poster tells them it's bad. Personally, I would be extremely insulted as a moral, law-abiding young man if somebody told me, "Hey you, guy, stop raping women. And if you're not, it doesn't matter because you could do it one day, so you better watch yourself."

It's not "blaming the victim" to teach women rape awareness and prevention anymore than telling people to lock their doors and buy an alarm is blaming the victim of a burglary. Rape, like murder, theft, or any other crime, will never go away completely, so it is important for young women to learn how to protect themselves.
The problem feminists are trying to address is that rape prevention is focusing on women. The implication is that it is their responsibility to keep themselves from being raped--- which could believably foster feelings of fault, shame, and guilt if it happens. You say you don't want to "blame" the victim. But when you focus so much attention on HER preventing it from happening, that's the message you're actually sending.

As a "law abiding man" I think you understandably come from a position of privilege. There are certain things that you, as a man, don't have to think about. Since rape happens more often with women, it's natural (I think) for me to suspect you don't seem to understand how various rapes happen. Most women are raped by someone they know, and many rapes happen through miscommunication. "No means yes" is something commonly believed by many men. In certain cases no DOES mean yes, depending on the woman. But men CAN be a part of the rape-prevention process.

They should not settle for mind games. If a woman says no, end it-- even if she doesn't "really" want you to stop. Is it really worth hearing her cry "rape" later if you screwed up and she actually meant it? Is it worth the cops coming to your door? If she's playing hard to get, get clarification about what she wants and nip that in the ass. It frankly does a great service to the women who really MEAN "no".

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
This thread makes me sad.

The number of people being ignorant and offensive is just... astounding.

This is the reason I'm starting to hate the Escapist forums.

What is wrong with you people?

SuperMse said:
I fail to see why you guys are responding so vehemently against this.
Rape is the rapist's fault. Target your ads at them, not the victims.
Except you. You are awesome. **friended**

And yes - I only read the first page. I was too sad to keep going.

darkfox85

May 6, 2011
Dastardly said:
There was no begging of the question in my opening statement because it was just a statement at the beginning of my post. It is at worst an unverified claim (according to you.) I stated what I felt but if you don?t feel I gave enough evidence to support said claim I will try again.

Why do I think this advert will do more harm than good? Firstly let me start with the good. If the advert so much as helps one person then that?s a wonderful thing. Of course we?ll never be able to prove it but we can assume. I am not ignoring the intent that?s there and I?ve previously said the intentions are well meaning. However, I feel it contributes to placing blame on the victim in a way other cautionary ads against crime (mugging/burglary) don?t. It subtly implies the attack will be her fault for being drunk/not being with her friends/poor judgement etc and anyone seeing this poster could pick up on the message. This subtly plays to and feeds some of our preconceptions and understanding of rape in our culture. The ad itself doesn?t say these bad things in certain clear terms, it?s very subtle.

I?ve said this a few times but it gave no satisfaction. Let me try to contrast this with an advert that I do like. It?s a common one advising people not to get into unlicensed taxis. The information this hypothetical ad would give is more useful and specific. But why would I think this new hypothetic ad wouldn?t also cause this ?blame? I seem to regard as such a problem? Well, a rape in an unlicensed taxi I think is more clear-cut ? the attacker would very likely be a predatory rapist and if the victim is absolved of the blame to a better degree which is always called into question regarding sexual assault and not other crimes (mostly.) With the ad of the OP though, although the information is largely virtuous its execution and its unintended message are harmful. Booze, stupid decisions, even the friends of victim are implicated.

I said this in my first post: ?Directing anti-rape ads (like the one presented by the OP) at the victim (as opposed to the perpetrator) indirectly suggests the attack is largely the victims fault which is false and unfair. This point is indirectly presented to both potential victims and potential attackers.? But perhaps I should have been more specific. The hypothetical unlicensed taxi advert does something similar, but it?s not the same. The last sentence is where the backfire occurs. All of society looks at the poster and draws a subtle conclusion.

Lastly the wording is rather sloppy. It?s not the fact that she didn?t say no that?s the issue of rape, it?s the fact that she didn?t say yes. I also agree that it?s a rather erotic portrayal (nice legs/underwear matches tiles etc) but these points are both minor and distracting from the bigger picture of how we as a society view rape.

Consider this poster
http://feministphilosophers.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/anti_rape_ads_m.jpg
I think this a more effective poster because it directly addresses the nature of rape and might well help the more common would-be rapist consider their actions are wrong. Getting to them before they become rapists ? which you say can?t be done. I also listed several alternative types of advert in the other post. I?ll admit this one doesn?t acknowledge that women can also commit rape, but I?m curious to know what you think of the ad I?ve posted ? I want to know if the response I?m foreseeing is correct. Is it the same as point 3 from the TL;DR section?

I don?t like that implication of me being ?weak-willed.? Don?t do that. I have plenty of ideas and ways to prevent rape that are outside the damn OP ad. And I am not focussed entirely on prosecution. Also, I quote you: ?The kind of person who thinks they know what a person is saying or thinking or believing or "seeing," that's exactly the kind of person who thinks it's okay to rape someone. Just so you're aware.? This isn?t the first or last time you?ve compared me to a rapist. Don?t do that. Whatever I infer from what you say in an attempt to better understanding and draw conclusions is done with deliberation and care.

I quote you again: ?You can't just take it upon yourself to say, "Of course he did it, just look at him!" Again, that mentality of being able to assume "what type" of person someone is with minimal evidence... well, that's exactly how the rapists act, isn't it? ("Oh, she's a total slut, she totally wanted it, no matter what she says.")? With this paragraph, you are inaccurately assuming what I think.

I?m not familiar with a ?reverse strawman,? (and I don?t see how anything I typed in that section could be considered as something like that) but I resent the passive aggressive use of the word ?cute.? But I did get it wrong when I said the circumstances surrounding a crime (that isn?t rape) aren?t taken into legal consideration. I don?t know what I was thinking. It?s the second time I?ve got something wrong when referring to the law and I apologise. I over simplified (something I?ve accused you of doing) and consequently completely mislead my point. I feel this ?digging for the truth? (in a legal context) is difficult when external pressures of the nature of this violent assault help dump on more dirt to dig through. It?s just not the same as other crimes.

Now I?m done. I?ve typed too much and I?m tired. Thank you for sharing your points of view with me and please reply if you want. I?ll respond if you do, but I won?t type more than 200-odd words. But if you do, kindly knock off the italicised and bolded text. It?s unnecessary and patronising.

I?ll sign off with a quote from Julie Mastine:
?Instead of teaching people how to make sure they?re properly getting consent from someone they?re hooking up with, our society perpetuates a mindset that makes people feel guilty for a crime committed against them.?

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
There was no begging of the question in my opening statement because it was just a statement at the beginning of my post. It is at worst an unverified claim (according to you.) I stated what I felt but if you don?t feel I gave enough evidence to support said claim I will try again.
And you then go on to simply assert the same thing again. That's exactly what "begging the question" is. You make a "claim," and someone says, "On what grounds?" And you say what amounts to "Because it's true." And they ask, "But what makes it true? What evidence do you have that it's true?" And your reply is "Because it's true."

Why do I think this advert will do more harm than good? ... However, I feel it contributes to placing blame on the victim in a way other cautionary ads against crime (mugging/burglary) don?t. ... The ad itself doesn?t say these bad things in certain clear terms, it?s very subtle.
If it's really that "subtle," perhaps you're reading it into the ad, no? But still, you say, "I think the ad will do more harm than good by putting the blame on the victim." And we all ask, "What specifically is this ad saying that puts blame on the victim?" And you say, "Well, it's very subtly blaming the victim." Begging the question again.

You're talking in circles. "The ad will do more harm than good." How? "By putting blame on the victim." The ad isn't putting blame on the victim, it's giving them a preventative step they can take to avoid becoming a victim. "Yes, but it's doing more harm than good." How, though? "By putting blame on the victim." But it's not. "Still, it's doing more harm than good." How? "By putting the blame on the victim." It's ridiculous at this point -- your posts are entirely broken-record.

I?ve said this a few times but it gave no satisfaction. Let me try to contrast this with an advert that I do like. It?s a common one advising people not to get into unlicensed taxis. The information this hypothetical ad would give is more useful and specific. But why would I think this new hypothetic ad wouldn?t also cause this ?blame? I seem to regard as such a problem? Well, a rape in an unlicensed taxi I think is more clear-cut ? the attacker would very likely be a predatory rapist and if the victim is absolved of the blame to a better degree which is always called into question regarding sexual assault and not other crimes (mostly.) With the ad of the OP though, although the information is largely virtuous its execution and its unintended message are harmful. Booze, stupid decisions, even the friends of victim are implicated.
Wow, where to start? We've got "Special Pleading," in which you insist that rape must be treated as different on every single level from every other crime (like mugging, etc.)... yet you provide no grounds other than that you believe it's far worse. It's just your way of saying, "Yes, preventative ads make sense.... uuuuunless I don't personally like them, and then I can dismiss logic entirely, citing that rape is different."

And we've got "No True Scotsman." You keep redefining what other people are talking about when they talk about rapists, insinuating they're not talking about the "right" kind of rape.

We still have our old friend the Strawman. You put words in the mouth of the ad writers, and in the people responding to you, and then easily shoot down these arguments that no one is making.

I said this in my first post: ?Directing anti-rape ads (like the one presented by the OP) at the victim (as opposed to the perpetrator) indirectly suggests the attack is largely the victims fault which is false and unfair. This point is indirectly presented to both potential victims and potential attackers.? But perhaps I should have been more specific. The hypothetical unlicensed taxi advert does something similar, but it?s not the same. The last sentence is where the backfire occurs. All of society looks at the poster and draws a subtle conclusion.
(Emphasis mine.)

And yet you're incapable of telling any of us how it is "not the same." It just isn't, because you say so. And the original ad? Same thing -- it misleads everyone, simply because you assert that this is so.

It?s not the fact that she didn?t say no that?s the issue of rape, it?s the fact that she didn?t say yes.
It's called "rhetorical device." It's meant to play upon the old saying "just couldn't say no." The emphasis is on couldn't. The rapist, whether friend or stranger, is (intentionally or not) taking advantage of the fact that she is unable to give informed consent (or non-consent). Or worse, they're ignoring her statement of "No," simply because they can overpower her -- you know that acquaintance rape is still very often forced, don't you? If this is the nit you're picking, you're grasping at straws and nothing more.

I also agree that it?s a rather erotic portrayal (nice legs/underwear matches tiles etc) but these points are both minor and distracting from the bigger picture of how we as a society view rape.
And see, to me, the imagery being used are the only really valid criticism of the ad campaign. If you're going to plant your protest flag, that's really the only reasonable spot to do it. The argument, most likely, is that the point is to draw attention to the poster first with the image, and that is what gets people to read the message -- and this argument is sound, given what we know of human psychology. But we could argue that any implied "sexuality" could be toned down out of respect for the message.

But that's not what you've been arguing.

Consider this poster
http://feministphilosophers.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/anti_rape_ads_m.jpg
I think this a more effective poster because it directly addresses the nature of rape and might well help the more common would-be rapist consider their actions are wrong. Getting to them before they become rapists ? which you say can?t be done.
Because clearly we're only allowed to let one campaign exist at a time. We can't find cocaine, because we're still fighting heroin. We can't fight murder, because we're still fighting kidnapping. We can't direct one campaign toward would-be attackers and another toward potential victims. That would just be absurd.

Oh, and I never said it "can't be done." I said that these would-be rapists are probably not reading ads about "not raping," because they do not see themselves as potential rapists. And those that do? They already know it's wrong and don't care. So such ads are, in general, preaching to the choir or falling of deaf ears. They are well-meaning(less).

I want to know if the response I?m foreseeing is correct. Is it the same as point 3 from the TL;DR section?
Maybe stop "foreseeing" responses. Try reading and responding to them, and you'll have better luck.

I don?t like that implication of me being ?weak-willed.? Don?t do that.
Get over yourself. It's a generalized statement, and I'm under no obligation to put fifteen disclaimers in front of every statement I make. This is just you posturing, playing indignant so that you can make an exit on your high horse.

Just so you're aware.? This isn?t the first or last time you?ve compared me to a rapist. Don?t do that. Whatever I infer from what you say in an attempt to better understanding and draw conclusions is done with deliberation and care.
You consistently, and openly, try to "guess" or "foresee" what you think someone's response will be. That foresight is tainted by your biases toward that person, based on how you feel about the fact they disagree with you. It means you're not carefully reading and responding to what they actually say, but rather what you feel they said.

But again, I haven't indicated anything about you. I've pointed out similarities between some of the communicative (or non-communicative) techniques you're using and certain psychological justifications common in the perpetrators of the crimes being discussed. The idea here being if someone really hates those people so much, it would stand to reason they'd want to avoid imitating them in any way.

With this paragraph, you are inaccurately assuming what I think.
Please.

I?m not familiar with a ?reverse strawman,?
See, that's when the first person creates a strawman of their own position, insisting that this is what the other person thinks the first person is saying, and then "defeats" the view of the first person's side being attributed to the other person. It's a direct result of you, once again, assuming you know what the other person "meant," and going from that rather than what the person actually said.

And your tendency to so heavy-handedly infer (or one might say "insert") things about what others are saying is exactly why you're able to put all of these dire "implications" into the original ad.

It?s just not the same as other crimes.
(See a few paragraphs above, re: special pleading)

Now I?m done. I?ve typed too much and I?m tired. Thank you for sharing your points of view with me and please reply if you want. I?ll respond if you do, but I won?t type more than 200-odd words. But if you do, kindly knock off the italicised and bolded text. It?s unnecessary and patronising.
Hardly unnecessary, as it serves to clarify inflection and emphasis, so as to make it far, far clearer what I'm actually saying. This serves, ironically, to make it less necessary for you to do so much assuming and "foreseeing." You don't like it because it gets in the way of that process, which you seem to enjoy so much.

You can make your exit, and you can use all the "Don't do that" and "Kindly knock offs" you want -- talking about "patronizing," no less -- but you do so in the silent knowledge that you've made no points that stood the test of logic and reason.

I?ll sign off with a quote from Julie Mastine:
?Instead of teaching people how to make sure they?re properly getting consent from someone they?re hooking up with, our society perpetuates a mindset that makes people feel guilty for a crime committed against them.?
Proving my previous statement, you "sign off" by posting a transparent false dichotomy. "Rather than?" This ad campaign uses one approach (of providing suggestions to would-be victims to lower their chances of victimhood), and other campaigns are free to (and do) take other approaches. Basic strategy tells me the more approaches you use, the better your coverage and chances of successfully affecting change.

But your greatest failure here hasn't been what you've been trying to argue, but rather how. Do more reading and comprehending, and try a little less "foreseeing" and assuming.

darkfox85

May 6, 2011
Dastardly said:
Oh no you don?t.
I?m not letting you get away with something like that.
I respect the mods but I wish that post hadn?t been removed. And I still got it in my inbox.

I am not begging the question. I am answering the question but you sweep those away sometimes addressing them, sometimes not, and then accuse me of begging the question. There?s a term for someone who misrepresents their opponent?s argument, defeats it, and declares themselves the winner. I am not ?putting words in the mouth of the ad writers? ? it?s the message that?s being sent whether they intend it or not. And I?m not too sure why it?s absurd to ?direct one campaign toward would-be attackers and another toward potential victims.?

That entire last post was a rushed loud noise of nothing, mostly making assumptions on me. I think you need to reflect some of those criticisms inwardly for that entire rant was just a string of petty attacks. But it?s a nice bonus that the response I hypothesised (the only thing I have attempted to foresee) was correct.

Yeesh! You assume so much in me and accuse me of doing all the assumption! There was one point I made and you, in a rush to slam me, accuse me of clasping at straws ? even though I had admitted in the very next line it was a minor and distracting point. Another protested against me saying you said dissuading potential rapists couldn?t be done only to be followed by you explaining why dissuading potential rapists couldn?t be done! And it went on like this!

That part against the reverse strawman! What the hell!? I admitted a flaw in my own argument and then you assumed all that bile. You are inaccurately assuming what I think ? something you?ve been constantly criticising me for! Your criticisms of me my position carry no weight! But I know, I assume, I guess, and I infer, that you are better than that.

ONE. MORE. TIME.

1: I have a problem with the ad
2: This problem is it does more harm than good
3: It does this by indirectly putting forward a bad message
4: This bad message is indicative of the society in which most of us live
5: The message is getting raped is your own fault
6: It suggests the attack is your own fault for not taking the precautions
7: This comes across by the ad not putting focus where it belongs
8: It belongs on the potential attacker
9: Rape attacks are not as theatrical as others say they are
10: Even so, precautions against sexual assault should be advised
11: But this noble attempt is misdirected and should be revised
12: It should be revised because rape is a difficult and sensitive affair with a lot of grey area

I?ve bitterly avoided putting too much detail into those points because you can?t keep track. You then use logical fallacies to accuse me of a logical fallacy. Now all of these points have been challenged and not without strength, reason, logic, and until recently, moderate respect on your part. I offered my own rebuttals to these challenges. But you really dropped the ball and with it any attempt at a civilised debate. It was a directionless whirlwind and I don?t know whether to laugh or cry. If I?m signing off with ?silent knowledge of failure? you?re signing off with a loud parade of your own arrogance.

Even so, I have no disrespect for you, and I hope we will one day do battle again.

darkfox85

May 6, 2011
Wait, what?
What happened? Did I misread something?
It said the post had been removed, then it came back, then the page wouldn't refresh.

Lug100

Sep 2, 2011
chadachada123 said:
Partezan said:
The basic feminist logic is that if a woman goes home with a guy while she is drunk and decides to have sex with him while she is drunk then it's the guys fault for taking advantage of her, but if a guy who is drunk takes home a girl who is drunk and decides to have sex with her it's the guys fault for taking advantage of her...

So basically it's the guys fault no matter what. Girl goes to a guys hotel room at 3am in the morning to take drugs and drink then ends up being "raped" It's the guys fault.

I say, follow the feminist advice and leave the stupid drunk bitches on the side of the road to get run over by a bus or get taken home by a real rapist, it's not worth the risk anymore to even be alone with a girl because they will cry rape on you.
You forget, if a sober girl convinces a drunk guy to have sex with her, it's not rape, since he probably liked it anyway.
Can't tell if sarcasm or genuine opinion...

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
darkfox85 said:
There?s a term for someone who misrepresents their opponent?s argument, defeats it, and declares themselves the winner. I am not ?putting words in the mouth of the ad writers? ? it?s the message that?s being sent whether they intend it or not. And I?m not too sure why it?s absurd to ?direct one campaign toward would-be attackers and another toward potential victims.?
1. Yes, there is a term for that. It's a strawman, and you've been using the technique since the beginning of this exchange.

2. I said (sarcastically) that it would be "absurd" to use both types of ad campaigns, because you've only allowed for one. You insist, for some reason, that other types of preventative ads are "different," though there are no appreciable differences with this one, and you've presented examples of ads directed at would-be attackers. I'm saying there's room for both types, despite your indication that there is not.

3. Yes, I'm aware you've said "Preventative ads are okay," but the problem is that you go on to disclude this ad for... well, we still have no support for any of those reasons.

Your criticisms of me my position carry no weight!
Here we go.

ONE. MORE. TIME.

1: I have a problem with the ad
2: This problem is it does more harm than good
3: It does this by indirectly putting forward a bad message
4: This bad message is indicative of the society in which most of us live
5: The message is getting raped is your own fault
6: It suggests the attack is your own fault for not taking the precautions
7: This comes across by the ad not putting focus where it belongs
8: It belongs on the potential attacker
9: Rape attacks are not as theatrical as others say they are
10: Even so, precautions against sexual assault should be advised
11: But this noble attempt is misdirected and should be revised
12: It should be revised because rape is a difficult and sensitive affair with a lot of grey area
1. Obviously
2. You've still provided no support or evidence for this claim, only the claim itself. And it's a pretty big claim. If the ad event prevents one rape, you would have to demonstrate that it simultaneously caused at least two in order to insist it has "done more harm than good."
3. Your only support for this has been providing an inference you've made that has no apparent link to the subject matter of the ad. The ad never blames anyone. It cautions against decisions that increase risk of victimhood.
4. Immaterial, because it is based on #3 as a given. It is not.
5. This is just re-asserting #3. This is exactly what "begging the question" is, by definition.
6. Another re-statement for 3, 4, and 5. You're in a feedback loop here, just getting louder and louder but not adding any information to the sound.
7. This is a poorly constructed sentence, and is too ambiguous to be useful. Unless by "this" you mean #3, #4, #5, and #6, which just makes this another restatement of the original, as-yet-unsupported claim.
8. Strawman: No one has disagreed with this statement, so it has no place in this list. The disagreement is whether the ad removes blame (it doesn't) from the attacker, not whether that's where blame belongs in the first place (it does).
9. Strawman: No one in this exchange has said they are. You're swinging at ghosts here.
10. True.
11. This is another restatement of what you said in 3 (and 4-7), but you still have not shown why. You just keep saying over and over that it's "misdirected."
12. Guest appearance by special pleading: We can safely ignore rules of logic or reason, because rape is different?

I?ve bitterly avoided putting too much detail into those points because you can?t keep track.
You've put no detail. And the most telling thing is that this list is exactly what you've been saying all along. You haven't used any evidence or support to expound upon #3, yet you build the entire rest of the relevant parts of our case upon it.

Here -- Let's look at the text of the ad itself:

"When your friends drink, they can end up making bad decisions, like going home with someone they don't know very well. Decisions like this can leave them vulnerable to dangers like Date Rape. Help your friends stay in control and stay safe."

Where's the blame? First sentence: Completely true. When we're drunk, our judgment is impaired. That can causes us to make the decision to get into a situation we normally would not choose to. The second sentence: Completely true. Once I've drunkenly gone home with this person, they can easily take control of the situation, which can quickly turn into date rape -- to which the ad says I would be vulnerable, not responsible Third sentence? Well, rather than talk to the rapist, we want to talk to the people that could help keep there from being a "rapist" by keeping there from being a "rape.".

No blame is assigned or implied here, except to the "someone they don't know very well" for potentially committing date rape.

Furthermore: Why not go look at the site in its entirety? It's from the liquor control board, not any sort of anti-rape council. The avoidance of date rape is just one of their many angles for talking about the dangers of alcohol over-consumption. The idea here is that friends looking out for friends can decrease the risk of tons of bad things, and unforeseen consequences -- one of which is increased vulnerability to date rape.

You're attributing a message to these folks that they have not sent. You could have any number of motives for doing so, but the fact remains they are personal motives and they are tainting your perception of what this ad is saying. This ad is neither directed toward rapists or rape victims, it's directed to nice partygoers who might decide to drink too much and end up in danger. The goal of the ad? To prevent there from being a rape at all, so that it neither speaks to a would-be rapist or would-be victim, because they won't-be.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Lug100 said:
chadachada123 said:
Partezan said:
The basic feminist logic is that if a woman goes home with a guy while she is drunk and decides to have sex with him while she is drunk then it's the guys fault for taking advantage of her, but if a guy who is drunk takes home a girl who is drunk and decides to have sex with her it's the guys fault for taking advantage of her...

So basically it's the guys fault no matter what. Girl goes to a guys hotel room at 3am in the morning to take drugs and drink then ends up being "raped" It's the guys fault.

I say, follow the feminist advice and leave the stupid drunk bitches on the side of the road to get run over by a bus or get taken home by a real rapist, it's not worth the risk anymore to even be alone with a girl because they will cry rape on you.
You forget, if a sober girl convinces a drunk guy to have sex with her, it's not rape, since he probably liked it anyway.
I wish it was sarcasm, but at a group meeting at my university (University of Michigan), there was a discussion on drunk-rape-sex and how guys shouldn't take advantage of drunk girls. My post was a legitimate opinion held by several females, and even furthered by some university postings.

Lug100

Sep 2, 2011
chadachada123 said:
Lug100 said:
chadachada123 said:
Partezan said:

I wish it was sarcasm, but at a group meeting at my university (University of Michigan), there was a discussion on drunk-rape-sex and how guys shouldn't take advantage of drunk girls. My post was a legitimate opinion held by several females, and even furthered by some university postings.
Oh dear. :( That right there is the opitimy of sexism, not this add. It what world is it fine to simply take the opinion that all guys enjoy all sex with every person? And whats to say that can't be turned on its head? Do girls never enjoy sex? Is it no longer rape if you enjoy it at the time, regardless of intoxication etc? And whats to say a guy cant be ligitmately raped, given that intoxication works both ways?

That is what is wrong with this whole situation, not what the advert depicts, when will feminist learn that there is far more sexism aimed at guys than girls. I shake my headin disbelief :/

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
peruvianskys said:
The main difference between the war on drugs and rape is that while drug use is a personal choice that does not violate the rights of others, rape is not. Telling people what they can and can't do to their own bodies is a surefire way to breed contempt and disrespect for authority. Telling men that women do not exist as their own playthings is a completely different message.
You appeared to be suggesting that the occurence of rape was largely a matter of education. I'm saying that the "War on Drugs" suggests that education alone isn't going to do it. There's so much emotion invested in an issue like rape that the way we approach these things, our ire and our energy keep getting directed in ways that just don't work. This forum provides plenty of examples.

To be clear, I'm not saying education- particularly at the developmental stages where sex is becoming an important issue in one's life- is without merit. But I honestly think that even if you could wave a magic wand and install exactly the educational doctrine you would think most useful- even if you could have five experts of your choice devote themselves to helping you craft it- in ten years, fifteen years, twenty years, there would still be sexual assault occurring.

And sadly, for some men telling them that "women do not exist as their playthings" is actually very similar, in their minds, to telling them what they can or cannot do with their own bodies. People don't like being told that they can't do what makes them feel good, especially when their moral inhibitions are already diminished by drugs or alcohol. If you can't be made to respect a woman clearly saying "no", how are you going to respect the message from someone you've never met, especially if they seem to be condemning you in their message?

It's a strawman anyway though - I doubt anyone really supports a "Just Don't Rape" campaign or signs that remind men simply that rape is bad. I'm suggesting we put half the effort that goes towards teaching women how to avoid getting the attention of rapists (treating the symptom, if you will) and instead focus on making sure young men know about consent and what is and isn't appropriate (addressing the disease itself). Obviously if we want to reduce sexual assaults, then there is a place for teaching women how to avoid them; I'm simply saying that there should be a far bigger emphasis on making sure we raise young men in such a way that fewer and fewer rapists are out there in the first place. You're right that knee-jerk "YOU CAN'T TELL HER TO NOT DRINK YOU VICTIM BLAMER" is counter-productive, but so is refusing to address the root of the problem. It's great to teach children in Cambodia how to avoid landmines, but if you don't get people in there to root them out in the first place, all that effort won't do anything in the end.
I feel like I see a fair amount of the "no means no" message, and relatively little of the "avoid dangerous situations" one, but that may be in part because friends keep me abreast of such campaigns in places like the UK, and the former message is directed at people more like me, so it stands out it my mind. I agree that we need both messages; it's unfortunate that the U.S. remains so squeamish about matters of sex that what should be a message everyone agrees on becomes controversial. We're still dealing with many with such a negative view of the idea of their children having sex that they'd rather push "abstinence only" campaigns proven not to work than give their children access to information that could keep them from dying; in that atmosphere, sexual assault is hardly touched upon.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
DrOswald said:
rutger5000 said:
First of I'm a guy, which makes me not a feminst?
I agree with feminist here. This add indeed put too much blame to the victims. You don't want to campaing against being raped, you want to campaing against rape. Sure you can do some prevention campaings, but it's a whole different thing to tell woman not to get raped.
I don't see how this campaign is "telling women not to get raped" as opposed to a "prevention campaign." It gives practical advice on prevention of date rape and places no blame on the victim. It clearly explains the cause and effect relationship of getting too drunk to make proper decisions and putting yourself at risk, a concept that is extremely important for date rape prevention. The only thing I can see it doing wrong is showing semi sexual imagery. If this is an unreasonable prevention ad please explain why. Be specific. In what way is too much blame placed on the victim?
I thought the photo was brilliant, especially because it's 'semi sexual imagery', it is direct, you couldn't get the message across more clear. We're talking about preventing rape here, how would you campaign that without 'semi sexual imagery'?
Anyway my problems with this campaign is that I feel it promotes the idea that when a woman is raped during a night out, it was probably because she was too drunk, and because of that it's kind of her fault. I myself don't see get that from the campaign, but I can see other people getting that message from it. Apart from that would a general anti-drinking campaign be more effective?

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009

To everyone who said that an anti-rape campaign targeted at the might-be rapists would be ineffective, here. As odd as it sounds, some people don't know when they're being rapey. Awareness ads like this can help with that.