So Anita Sarkeesian and the ME3 ending are drowning in a whirlpool...

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
In terms of their relative negative effect on the games industry, the ME3 ending is not nearly as bad as to warrant saving Sarkeesian over it. In this case, Sarkeesian literally can't argue a valid point to save her life.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Moeez said:
You're being willfully ignorant that things haven't changed in the level of discussion here since gamergate and what went down with those skewed gamergate interviews. If this isn't related to gamergate at all, where are the threads about Peter Molyneux or other heavily critised gaming figures being set to a deadly scenario?

Anita Sarkeesian, to repeat, is not even a videogame journalist or developer. She's a cultural critic. You're being willfully ignorant if this isn't related with gamergate and how such a thread has been allowed to continue rather than being locked.
Yeah that's my bad man. I don't even remember making that post, but eh. Posting on the Internet while drunk leads to stupid shit being said. Who knew?

Moeez

May 28, 2009
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Moeez said:
You're being willfully ignorant that things haven't changed in the level of discussion here since gamergate and what went down with those skewed gamergate interviews. If this isn't related to gamergate at all, where are the threads about Peter Molyneux or other heavily critised gaming figures being set to a deadly scenario?

Anita Sarkeesian, to repeat, is not even a videogame journalist or developer. She's a cultural critic. You're being willfully ignorant if this isn't related with gamergate and how such a thread has been allowed to continue rather than being locked.
Yeah that's my bad man. I don't even remember making that post, but eh. Posting on the Internet while drunk leads to stupid shit being said. Who knew?
Yeah, it's just my frustration coming out, sorry to take it out on you.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Moeez said:
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Moeez said:
This place really has become gamergate central.
What about all the people who said they'd save Anita instead? Nag, there is no GamerGate here. There isn't evern any anti-GamerGate here. At least in supremacy terms. Nah man, there's nothing but war here. War between both sides to determine who will be victorious, but neither side is near that by a long shot yet. Much hardship lies ahead.

And I fucking love it.

Hello.

I feel like I need to point out my intention behind this thread. There's no real malice behind it, I simply thought it would be funny to make a thread that combines all of the biggest controversies on the site in a really dumb and nonsensical way. This post was really just me trying to parody the general attitude and mood of the forum as of late.

Seeing as how most of the reactiions seem to be playing along, I hope it was a success.

Nemo Atkins

Apr 14, 2014
I would probably ask what I ate that's making me have such strong hallucinations and carry on walking alongside the pink elephants through the Yellow Submarine landscape that's started to form in front of me.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
It would be better for the games industry if he saves ME3... or just walks away.
It might be more morally correct to save anita. But as he is a sea lion he might not care as much for a humans life.
It boils down to saving the games industry VS saving the life of an animal from another species. I guess it really depends on how much of a greenie this sealion is and how much he likes games. Perhaps the kindest thing to do is save the human but put her in a an aquarium where she can convince the workers that feeding female fish to the sea lions is a sin as no female should be forced to participate in the circle of life except when it benefits them.

l0lwut

Jan 18, 2013
Are we talking the ending for ME3 pre-DLC? I have no lost for Anita Sarkeesian but at least I don't have to look at her drivel on YT. The ME3 ending retroactively tained my sizable investement in ME, the ganes and its universe. I'll probably let the whirlpool take them both though because I'm sure as hell not saving that fraud either.

I will probably just discuss the death penalty with the sea lion, he might have some interesting views on it. You know, being a sealion and all.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
Well this is easy. A persons life is more important than a video game. No matter that persons opinion. There is only one Anita, but you can probably pick up Mass Effect 3 again for like $5 brand new because the whole game is really shit. Good luck on that story DLC though, cause that's all still full price! $50 for all the story DLC! LOL! $$$$$$$$$

Now for the part with the Sea Lion. Let's make a team and save both? Why can't we make a team and save both?

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Id probably pick neither really, I wouldn't want to play into the damsel in distress trope by saving Antia, and if the ME3 ending was not around then we might get something better. So win/win really on that front.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
EternallyBored said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
JustAnotherAardvark said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
The Mass Effect series is probably better off without the ending.
Particularly the "fu ending" they put out. I've been a DM, I know a middle finger to the players when I put one in.
Citidel party ftw!
I mean, it was fine for me. I had a Renegade Sheppard and got the Bad/Destroy ending where the entire universe is purged of all sentient life.

Thematically this made sense. Dreadd Sheppard said she was going to bring peace to the galaxy at any cost.

The cost was high.
That's not the bad destroy ending, the bad ending with destroy just kills all life on Earth, the original ending shows this by having the normandy crash and the door opening and still having the stargazer scene afterwards. The post-extended cut ending shows specifically that it is just earth that is annihilated, it never explains why exactly a low EMS destroys the Earth but not anything else, but the ending, even post-EC, was kind of sparse.

Also just to be pedantic, even if the low EMS destroy ending wiped out all life (the vaporization ending didn't seem to discriminate between sentient and non-sentient when it destroyed earth), that would still only be all life in the galaxy, not the universe. The Mass effect relays were only in the Milky Way, all the other galaxies in the universe were untouched.
Well...

Fuck, I really enjoyed the ending the way I thought it was.

So the Reapers are destroyed, Earth's dead, and everyone in the galaxy is stranded?

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
SaneAmongInsane said:
EternallyBored said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
JustAnotherAardvark said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
The Mass Effect series is probably better off without the ending.
Particularly the "fu ending" they put out. I've been a DM, I know a middle finger to the players when I put one in.
Citidel party ftw!
I mean, it was fine for me. I had a Renegade Sheppard and got the Bad/Destroy ending where the entire universe is purged of all sentient life.

Thematically this made sense. Dreadd Sheppard said she was going to bring peace to the galaxy at any cost.

The cost was high.
That's not the bad destroy ending, the bad ending with destroy just kills all life on Earth, the original ending shows this by having the normandy crash and the door opening and still having the stargazer scene afterwards. The post-extended cut ending shows specifically that it is just earth that is annihilated, it never explains why exactly a low EMS destroys the Earth but not anything else, but the ending, even post-EC, was kind of sparse.

Also just to be pedantic, even if the low EMS destroy ending wiped out all life (the vaporization ending didn't seem to discriminate between sentient and non-sentient when it destroyed earth), that would still only be all life in the galaxy, not the universe. The Mass effect relays were only in the Milky Way, all the other galaxies in the universe were untouched.
Well...

Fuck, I really enjoyed the ending the way I thought it was.

So the Reapers are destroyed, Earth's dead, and everyone in the galaxy is stranded?
Depends if we are talking pre or post extended cut ending. Post extended cut has the mass relays only lose its central spinny bits, so they say that the relays were rebuilt and reconnect everyone. So a low EMS destroy ending in the extended cut basically results in Earth being destroyed along with most of humanity. The surviving alien civilizations rebuild the mass relays and attempt to recover.

The pre-extended cut ending has the mass relays totally destroyed and makes no note of them being repaired at all, so yeah, with the destroy ending killing all the reapers, there is likely very little chance that they will be rebuilt anytime soon. So yeah. pretty much everyone gets stranded with no mass relays, the colonies are basically doomed, and even with larger ships having FTL engines, they are much slower than relays, and would take decades of going through completely unexplored territory to get from one side of the galaxy to the other, and that's only if they can reliably jump into systems that can be used to refuel and discounting problems like food and oxygen, so you would more than likely be looking at hundreds of years before lost colonies and civilizations started connecting with each other again.

There was the line about the Asari being close to being able to build their own mass relays, although not as good as the originals, but with a devastated homeworld, disconnected colonies and having to take the slow way to build the mass relay exit points, you would still likely be looking at hundreds of years to start connecting everything again.

So if we are talking pre-extended cut, then yeah, it's pretty much: reapers are destroyed, Earth's dead, and everyone is stranded in whatever star system they were in when the relays were destroyed, they left the whole thing pretty vague.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Well Anita isn't a game journalist, and she's an actual person and not a plotline, so I would obviously save Anita.

ME3 Ending can drown for all I care because hopefully a coolor more studlike ME3 ending will come along to replace it's position in life, friends, family, reputation, job, and even get that cool car original ME3 ending always wanted.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
totheendofsin said:
Neither, I would throw a bunch of gg supporters and an equal ammount of people opposed to gg into the whirlpool and get my new sealion buddy to go get popcorn as they argue over whose fault it is that they're in the whirlpool in the first place. I wouldalso toss a few copies of The Order for good measure
And when all that is said and done get the holy trinity of bad games known as Alien: Colonial Marines, Duke Nukem Forever, and Red Dead Redemption to forever seal the whirlpool and keep out all those foolish enough to reopen it.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Virtual Boy said:
Who still buys newspapers?
You do, you silly goose! It quite clearly says in the OP that YOU'RE walking on the beach to go get a newspaper! Gosh!

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Will the sealion have to complete a quicktime event to save either?

This is important

C.TYR

Dec 30, 2013
What the fuck is this hatred towards another human being simply because of her disagreeing with things? This scenario is incredibly bitter to say that you'd prefer a game over another person, just because that person has had conflicting morals. She hasn't killed anyone or done anything exactly damaging in the long-term. To silence her it'd just be another form of censorship.

For pete's sake, some things either side of this discussion says is all bullshit and some things that either side say are good points. Neither side is inherently wrong, we as people to all calm down and try and talk this out rather than being two sides of goddamn partisanship.

Also, tell that sea lion to bring us some ice cream to help us all chill.