So apparently the new Fant4stic is the Green Lantern of 2015

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
By which I of course mean it's getting royally roasted in the reviews. Just a few samples:

Add to that 11% on Rotten Tomatoes already on its opening weekend, and 25 score on Metacritic, and you have one of the possible surprise turkeys of the year on our hands. I say "surprise", because IMO the trailers showed at least a bit of promise, with the toned down aesthetic and a fairly cool looking Thing. But nope, epic bombage we got.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Ah god damn it, I was going to do a thread about just this. Ninja'd.

Oh well, yeah, but my god, 11% on Rotten Tomatoes? This morning when I checked before work it was 20%.

But yeah, from what everyone has told me about this movie (already say Stuckmann) it's terrible. I rarely want to see a movie bomb just on the reviews I've herd about it, and that even includes Pixels, but Fant4stic is a rare exception. I hope it flops, and flops so hard that Fox sells the movie rights back to Marvel, and Marvel to let the Fantastic Four rest until the inevitable MCU II in the 2030s or whenever the inevitable new movie universe starts being made.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Ok, trend I'm noticing and probably a good rule to follow:

If the movie version of a superhero movie changes the characters' costume, especially if they make it black, and it wasn't something done in the comics, it's probably going to be a bad movie.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Vausch said:

If the movie version of a superhero movie changes the characters' costume, especially if they make it black, and it wasn't something done in the comics, it's probably going to be a bad movie.
Hawkeye had his costume be black in Thor and the first Avengers (I think it was closer to its normal purple in Ultron) instead of purple, but then again his costume in the Ultimates universe, where the MCU gets most of the imagery it uses from (due to similar concepts of their settings).

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
It's usually a good sign when the studio tries to hide the film from basically everyone until the very last minute...

(It didn't even screen in my city; I'm only able to see it tonight.)

Edit: It is indeed awful.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Zontar said:
Vausch said:

Hawkeye had his costume be black in Thor and the first Avengers (I think it was closer to its normal purple in Ultron) instead of purple, but then again his costume in the Ultimates universe, where the MCU gets most of the imagery it uses from (due to similar concepts of their settings).
Hawkeye I would say is the exception due to his original costume being one that really doesn't work in a non-comic or animation environment. He was the only one with a changed to black costume, and Avengers was his first major appearance.

I think an argument can be made in that he wasn't technically a superhero at that point and his costume was more classic soldier wear, and it was closer to his Ultimate universe costume but darker, IE black.

I was going to say "changed the costume" in general, but it's difficult to say that since all of Marvel's costumes have worked well. Amazing Spider-man is an example of changing the costume, not making it black, but still making it shit.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Well that's two strikes against this franchise. Which is weird, considering how well Marvel had been doing with superhero films since Iron Man.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Asita said:
Well that's two strikes against this franchise. Which is weird, considering how well Marvel had been doing with superhero films since Iron Man.
It's a Marvel licenced property that Fox made and is distributing, Marvel's involvement is at best in name only.

Tautology

Apr 5, 2011
After reading all the reviews, I actually thought I should wait until Friday and see it for myself. It couldn't be that bad, right? Once I saw that clip of "Doom" on YouTube, a clip which has since been removed, I changed my mind. Any movie that does that to Doctor Doom, my favorite villain/hero, and looks that shitty doing it, deserves to make no money. I now believe every word from every review and envy none unfortunate enough to have sit through it. If even half of those words are true, this is a film that kills careers.

There are however, two positives to come from such a heinous act as this. The first being that I now like the Doom from the 2005 movie. I thought that impossible. The second is I firmly believe that I, a crappy writer, could write a better Fantastic Four movie. These don't sound like positives at all!

Pack it in and call it quits, Fox. Give the rights back to Marvel. Don't even ask for money, just beg that everyone forgets this ever happened. Blame it on a deal with Mephisto gone wrong. Or do you guys seriously believe that in the next 5-10 years you'll reboot, try the same thing again, and get a different result?

Fantastic Fourth time's the charm, right?

spartenX

Oct 2, 2009
so the movie sucked.......Hey Vegeta, what the scouter say about my surprise level

Vegeta:"its......wait a second, scouters aren't supposed to go into the negatives"

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Tautology said:
After reading all the reviews, I actually thought I should wait until Friday and see it for myself. It couldn't be that bad, right? Once I saw that clip of "Doom" on YouTube, a clip which has since been removed, I changed my mind. Any movie that does that to Doctor Doom, my favorite villain/hero, and looks that shitty doing it, deserves to make no money. I now believe every word from every review and envy none unfortunate enough to have sit through it. If even half of those words are true, this is a film that kills careers.

There are however, two positives to come from such a heinous act as this. The first being that I now like the Doom from the 2005 movie. I thought that impossible. The second is I firmly believe that I, a crappy writer, could write a better Fantastic Four movie. These don't sound like positives at all!

Pack it in and call it quits, Fox. Give the rights back to Marvel. Don't even ask for money, just beg that everyone forgets this ever happened. Blame it on a deal with Mephisto gone wrong. Or do you guys seriously believe that in the next 5-10 years you'll reboot, try the same thing again, and get a different result?

This was the Fantastic Fourth time. They had an unknown movie from 1994 that most don't like to talk about.

Asita

Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Zontar said:
Asita said:
It's a Marvel licenced property that Fox made and is distributing, Marvel's involvement is at best in name only.
...Yep. Different people behind the helm would certainly explain it.

Tautology said:
Ok, for someone who didn't see the clip and hasn't seen the movie, I'm almost hesitant to ask, but I must know...what did they do to Doctor Doom?

Tautology

Apr 5, 2011
Vausch said:
Tautology said:

This was the Fantastic Fourth time. They had an unknown movie from 1994 that most don't like to talk about.
I did count that movie, which ironically is the only good one. I'm only counting that film and those that attempted to start an ongoing film series. Seeing as Rise of the Silver Surfer was a sequel to the 2005 film, I don't treat it as its own piece, but as part of that attempt. That's 3 attempts totaling 4 movies. If this abortion gets its planned sequel, I will count that as part of this iteration.

Tautology

Apr 5, 2011
Asita said:
Ok, for someone who didn't see the clip and hasn't seen the movie, I'm almost hesitant to ask, but I must know...what did they do to Doctor Doom?
Gaze and despair, true believer!

WonkyWarmaiden

Jun 15, 2010
Gosh, who would have thought that the movie where Doctor Doom is an angry internet blogger could be bad?

Most sarcasm aside I'm not very surprised that this didn't turn out very good. From the one trailer I watched it seemed to be trying too hard to be just another cliched dark and gritty comic book movie.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Tautology said:
Asita said:
They did that to Dr. doom......
How do you fuck up Dr. doom that badly? He is considered one of the greatest villains in comic book history if not all of fiction and they made him look like that? What were they smoking?

Asita

Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Completely random thought: I suddenly want the inevitable reboot (because come on, they're going to keep trying until they get it right) to make naming the team a running gag. The characters start pitching names to one another at odd moments throughout the film.

Reed: How about Fire Storm? Get it, because your last name is-
Johnny: I get it. And no. Not unless we get to call you Rubber Richards.

*later*

Reed: Heatwave?
Johnny: Stretch Armstrong.

*action scene dies down*

Reed: Hot Flash!
*Johnny just gives Reed a confused and horrified stare*
*oblivious* Reed: Nah, doesn't really sound right.

Sue: What are you going to call yourself, Ben?
Ben: Eh, I'll think of something.
*cut to news report*
Reporter: And this behemoth, known only as "the Thing"
*Reed pats Ben on the shoulder sympathetically*

Tautology said:
Asita said:
*blink* So...Victor turned into Shodan this time around?

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Asita said:
*blink* So...Victor turned into Shodan this time around?
L-L-L-L-L-Look at you, Richards.

OT: Was anyone surprised? I honestly can't think of anything I saw about this movie that made it look close to half decent. Everything they made to promote it reminded me of Man of Steel in all the wrong ways.