So Borderlands 3 is finally happening. Thoughts, impressions

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Amidst the trend of so-called "looter shooters", the one that arguably started it all is back.

It's hard for me to even comprehend that it's been nearly 7 years since BL2. I was in the military back then, and a completely different person. Now we're in 2019, a full bachelor's degree, a transition to working life and a Trump president later, and BLands is back like it nothing's happened.

And sadly, that's kind of how this trailer makes me feel. Like 7 years have passed, and the series has gone nowhere. You could honestly have told me that all the footage was just a new DLC for the Pre-Sequel and I wouldn't have questioned it at all. The graphics are just completely indistinguishable from basically any other entry in the franchise, especially in the visual design department. Do we really need yet another BLands with scrapyards, post-apocalyptic scavengers, dune buggies, deserts and all that jazz?

Whatever, it's just an announcement trailer. So far I'm not exactly jizzing my pants, but we'll see when more info comes out.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
What exactly where you expecting?

If they took a drastic new direction then people would have shit the bed. This is more of the same and that's what fans want. People change and you might not want it anymore, and that's fine. I'm looking forward to going back into that world again personally. But I'm a huge man child so whatever.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Looks like game from 2009. looks pretty bad.

borderland game are just medicore with terrible gunplay and bulletsponges enemies. not a fan of wacky wacky cartoonish theme.

I was watching live stream and i cant believe people were cheering for this crap. they lost thier mind.

Rage 2 on other hand looks and sound much better.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Insert joke here about Borderlands 3 being the sixth game in the series.

Also "boo" - I thought they'd do one of their intros as the trailer, not this.

Anyway, yay for Borderlands fans I guess.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
This series can be fun, but it gets old very quick, and I've never once liked a single character in it. They're all insufferable!
Also the snark in me wonders what poor game had its budget secretly drained this time to double fund BL3

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
If it has character classes that seem fun to play, then I'll probably play it. The Pre-sequel didn't have any characters that looked fun to play so I didn't play it. Funnily the loot is the one thing I don't like about Borderlands because it just causes more inventory management and getting some rare epic orange gun is meaningless unless it's an endgame gun because it'll be useless in few levels otherwise.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I doubt it, but I would hope for actual character creation. Ya know, pick a class, Soldier, Assassin, Hunter, different types of Sirens and make your own whacky character.

If not, I hope for atleast decent customization for the pre-made cast. Need more than just heads and color palettes.

And to everyone saying 'Its more of the same', good. If I wanted to play Not Borderlands, I wouldn't play Borderlands. I am excited to play Borderlands 3 cause I liked 1 and 2.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm annoyed, I never really got into Borderlands 1 or 2, but the trailer kinda makes me want to get this. I mean I still need to see more actual gameplay footage and hopefully they manage to do something about the really samey early game, but... I'm annoyingly hopeful for it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
This got me nostalgic for every Borderlands I've played, which I guess was the point.
I like the series but I wish they'd stop coming up with 4 new protags with every game. They've been pushing the narrative angle on the series since the second game yet it doesn't feel focused on anything or anyone in particular.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
It's about time, Borderlands 2 is the looter-shooter, not one game has nailed the concept like they did with Borderlands 2. I've been waiting for this for so long and it's finally happening, first Halo on PC and now this, this year and next year will be great.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I was in uni when I grinded the ever living fuck out of BL2. But my friend wanted to grind more and I got sick of him so I used a save editor eventually to... 'find' the stuff he wanted. Here's your shiny thing! Now lets just get on with life instead of more of the same BS!

Now that I work, I don't think I can really muster the time and energy for another Borderlands. And I no longer see the appeal in farming the same boss over and over for loot. BL2 was also kinda terrible when it reached UVHM in that you really needed to abuse a few key guns to get anything done. Honestly I should have just called it quits at TVHM - I still had options in terms of loadouts and didn't have to be using some specific weapons.

I hope they stick with editable save games rather than a more probable 'live service' approach. Is it anybody's business if I just wanna cheat my way into trying out some of the more unique guns just playing coop with my friends?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
bartholen said:
Like 7 years have passed, and the series has gone nowhere
There's guns with legs now.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
My thoughts are "hey, are we forgetting how Pitchford is under LOADS of scrutiny, including from a legal standpoint?"

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
My brother and I are really excited for it. We've played both 2 and Pre-Sequel together, and Borderlands 2 was an absolute blast (Presequel has some issues, but its storyline was great). Looking forward to having another co-op play-through with this one.
Also glad to see Tales from the Borderlands characters show up in Borderlands 3. One of Telltales best games.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
The trailer didn't really reflect the most important aspect of the game imo. Is it funny? Is it's personality still there on full display. The gameplay is alright but nothing that special. Grahams number guns doesn't matter since as I recall usually the dps was 85% of what mattered (admittedly there was also strategy like 'select weapon with rock property to counter scissors enemy type'). What carried the game for me, and made me play it until the end was the humorous narrative. In borderlands 2 The villain called me up to insult me and brag about his newly bought diamond pony. Is any of that here? I heard nobody talk. Some games can pull of being completely silent, but Borderlands 2 would have bored me without the occasional chatter and goofyness.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Pseudonym said:
The trailer didn't really reflect the most important aspect of the game imo. Is it funny? Is it's personality still there on full display. The gameplay is alright but nothing that special. Grahams number guns doesn't matter since as I recall usually the dps was 85% of what mattered (admittedly there was also strategy like 'select weapon with rock property to counter scissors enemy type'). What carried the game for me, and made me play it until the end was the humorous narrative. In borderlands 2 The villain called me up to insult me and brag about his newly bought diamond pony. Is any of that here? I heard nobody talk. Some games can pull of being completely silent, but Borderlands 2 would have bored me without the occasional chatter and goofyness.
You might be a rare breed. I've mostly heard that people thought BL2 was too goofy and prefer the more reserved tone of BL1. You can actually see it yourself if you play through BL1 and its DLC in order, because while the game is humorous a lot of the time things get into complete farce-territory in the Claptrap DLC.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
CritialGaming said:
What exactly where you expecting?

If they took a drastic new direction then people would have shit the bed. This is more of the same and that's what fans want. People change and you might not want it anymore, and that's fine. I'm looking forward to going back into that world again personally. But I'm a huge man child so whatever.
Well, that's the thing: I don't necessarily think there even is much the series can do at this point. They've pretty much done every possible environment, every possible enemy type, every possible gun and escalated the gameplay to its absolute breaking point (Overpowered levels, the appeal of which I just can't understand. UVHM was already terrible and basically necessitated that retarded farming). The Pre-Sequel just added jetpacks, which admittedly freshed the combat up quite a bit. Basically the only improvement I can see for the series would be to have way better character and facial animation and a more involved narrative, but the former doesn't affect gameplay at all, and the latter isn't really what people even play these kinds of games for.

McElroy said:
You might be a rare breed. I've mostly heard that people thought BL2 was too goofy and prefer the more reserved tone of BL1. You can actually see it yourself if you play through BL1 and its DLC in order, because while the game is humorous a lot of the time things get into complete farce-territory in the Claptrap DLC.
I disagree with you on that things only get completely farcical in the 4th DLC. The very first DLC is just packed with movie homages and jokes. General Knoxx only fights you because the explosives he intended to commit suicide with failed to launch, so he'll just suicide by players instead.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
bartholen said:
I disagree with you on that things only get completely farcical in the 4th DLC. The very first DLC is just packed with movie homages and jokes. General Knoxx only fights you because the explosives he intended to commit suicide with failed to launch, so he'll just suicide by players instead.
You collect fish, pizza, and panties in the Robot Revolution. I think it went further than the previous ones. The Robolution is just utterly silly.