So Bronies, your thoughts on MLP:FiM season 2.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
To try to get the thread back on track:

Yeah, the finale sure had a lot of awesomeness for a little girl's show, didn't it?

requisitename

Dec 29, 2011
I'm not going to quote all five of you who quoted me already because multiple quotes get messy.

So:

1. I'm not annoyed in the least. I just know a lot of people do get annoyed. (Hence my use of "they" instead of "us".)

2. I'm not familiar with the group stuff, so I assumed it was adequate for discussing interests since so many people join them.

ToastiestZombie said:
requisitename said:
No, why shouldn't bronies be allowed to have a thread at the end of season 2 (A BIG event for bronies) to discuss their favorite episodes. We could do that in the group I guess but the chat system in place is terrible for discussions when more than 3 people are talking at once. So no, I didn't make this to annoy people.
I couldn't care less what people make threads about, really.. it just seems kind of suspect for someone to start it off with an attitude like that for any other reason. Also, see (2) above.

So, carry on, ya'll.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
requisitename said:
I'm not going to quote all five of you who quoted me already because multiple quotes get messy.

So:

1. I'm not annoyed in the least. I just know a lot of people do get annoyed. (Hence my use of "they" instead of "us".)

2. I'm not familiar with the group stuff, so I assumed it was adequate for discussing interests since so many people join them.

ToastiestZombie said:
requisitename said:
No, why shouldn't bronies be allowed to have a thread at the end of season 2 (A BIG event for bronies) to discuss their favorite episodes. We could do that in the group I guess but the chat system in place is terrible for discussions when more than 3 people are talking at once. So no, I didn't make this to annoy people.
I couldn't care less what people make threads about, really.. it just seems kind of suspect for someone to start it off with an attitude like that for any other reason. Also, see (2) above.

So, carry on, ya'll.
Glad we could come to an understanding. Now, let's get the thread back on track.

I just thought of what could be my second favorite. Probably A Friend In Deed, the smile song just made me so happy and I loved the whole plot about matilda and cranky doodle donkey.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Can we stop feeding the trolls (real or imagined) and re-rail this thread?

Anyway, Season 2 was a lot more uneven than Season 1. It had the best episodes, like Luna Eclipsed, the Discord duo, Lesson Zero, and (probably) the Wedding, but it also had Mare-do-Well and Dragon Quest. I'd still have to rate it higher than Season 1, despite the mid-season slump.

The Wedding was, well, I am kind of shocked (in a good way) at how little wedding there was in the wedding episodes. The trailers were completely misleading and led me to pre-judge the episodes pretty harshly as no more than an excuse to conjure up a ratings-grabbing wedding with nonexistent cipher characters. I had no idea that
an invasion of shape-changing monsters
would crash it. That came completely out of left field.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
I enjoy season two more then season one (Though I still like Season one. I just thought they did better in season 2).

The final episode surprise me in how good it was, at least in my opinion, and probably one of my favorites beside the Discord episode.

Which reminds me..

Did anyone else think that the bad guy was going to be Discord coming back? I thought so and I was surprise.

Dtox333

Dec 7, 2011
I view season 2 as a total improvement from season 1.

season 1 had well structured episodes and a charm that few shows have (a cartoon for little girls attracting an adult male audience for example) yes, however, compared to the scale/quality of things in season 2, season 1 can be viewed as rather dull. If I were to critique season 2 that season 1 did better, it would be that episodes from season 2 felt a little bit more unstable, where the pacing would vary and antics would range from mellow to over the top.

other then that, season 2 was a vast improvement. the animation was better, the humor was better, the action was better, the characters were far more developed, the sound quality was better, the music was better, writing was better, etc.

by far the season finale is my most favorite episode out of the entire series, and I feel it is deserved of the title of best episode. It's everything I hoped MLP would evolve into. where the show started out humble enough and with a charming yet simple goal, it has matured into something much more. The season finale was near a disney movie level of quality, it was more complex, much more exciting, and much more emotional than any of the previous episodes.

EVERYTHING that I just said is of course my own opinion, but that's how I feel, and I'm extremely excited for the third season.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Not too shabby, it's been awhile, something about this season's episodes just didn't click as well as firsts. I'll probably say my favorite would either be Read it and Weep or Luna Eclipsed.

Oh, I also haven't seen the finally, I'm waitin for it to hop up on youtube with more clarity than I can actually watch it in.

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
I enjoyed Season 2 a lot more than Season 1. Maybe it was because I watched as they came out, rather than in my own time (as I discovered the show just after Season 1 had finished last May), but I felt it had the funnier episodes, better antagonists (not just Discord, but the Flim Flam Brothers and the season finale villains as well), better meltdowns (Lesson Zero was fantastic, as was It's About Time for crazy Twilight) and also focused a lot more on character development.

On that last point, I felt that was really where the series shone through. Hurricane Fluttershy was one of the best episodes for this, as not only did it chronicle Fluttershy getting over her chronic fear of flying, but it also showed the more compassionate side of Rainbow Dash, that isn't normally seen. It's left me with high hopes for what they can do with Season 3.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
I'm not a brony so I don't think I'm allowed to comment but I kinda liked Dragon Quest, mostly because it had more of a focus on spike. I feel he is far to underplayed and they aren't doing anywhere near enough with the whole "Oh gee I don't know where I came from and I'm the only one of my kind I know" angle.

Also I always imagine he's the illegitimate son of Ridley, so that makes lots of the things he does so much funnier.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
JaceArveduin said:
Oh, I also haven't seen the finally, I'm waitin for it to hop up on youtube with more clarity than I can actually watch it in.
"finale". And I believe that's been done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsixRtMKUCk&hd=1

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
JaceArveduin said:
1080's been up for a while.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Aidinthel said:
JaceArveduin said:
"finale". And I believe that's been done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsixRtMKUCk&hd=1
Why thank you, I'm a lazy bastard and hadn't checked since around noon. Now, off to go finish this off.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
I loved the last episode, it's good to have more than one mega evil villian in one season. The previews also fooled me as well as I was expecting a weak season finale.

Speaking of which, anybody got any ideas on what kind of villian will appear in the opening episode of season 3?

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
him over there said:
I'm not a brony so I don't think I'm allowed to comment but I kinda liked Dragon Quest, mostly because it had more of a focus on spike. I feel he is far to underplayed and they aren't doing anywhere near enough with the whole "Oh gee I don't know where I came from and I'm the only one of my kind I know" angle.

Also I always imagine he's the illegitimate son of Ridley, so that makes lots of the things he does so much funnier.
Not a brony but you watch the show? Unless you're actually in the target demogaphic, that's kinda the whole definition of the word.

Oh, new page! User group link time!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/MLP-Friendship-is-Magic
I recommend that anyone who watches the show uncheck "Chat Notifications" when it prompts you as the group chat tends to be quite active.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Hey, was there always a pink bubble around Canterlot? I may be crazy, but as soon as I saw that I thought of FO:E...

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Aidinthel said:
him over there said:

Not a brony but you watch the show? Unless you're actually in the target demogaphic, that's kinda the whole definition of the word.
Well I refuse to identify as one, and I don't really even like the show. I do feel like I should give it a chance every once in a while though, after all:

You see that? that is my favourite series which I refused to watch three times when my friend tried to show it to me.

Dtox333

Dec 7, 2011
Aidinthel said:
him over there said:

Oh, new page! User group link time!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/MLP-Friendship-is-Magic
I recommend that anyone who watches the show uncheck "Chat Notifications" when it prompts you as the group chat tends to be quite active.
I wouldn't actually use the term "brony" for just general fans.

the fandom has become so big and diverse now, and it's becoming fairly normal to be into the show now, so using the term "brony" for anyone who simply enjoys it and wants nothing to do with the fandom isn't really necessary.

that's what I feel defines a brony, someone who engrosses themselves into the fandom, but that's just me, cause some people don't want to be associated with the term.

EDIT: I don't mean it's the NORM to like the show, far from it, though it isn't very unusual now for someone to say they enjoy it.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
JaceArveduin said:
Hey, was there always a pink bubble around Canterlot? I may be crazy, but as soon as I saw that I thought of FO:E...
Special circumstances. The show will explain.

Cracker3011

May 7, 2009
Well, let's put it this way. I saw the finale an hour ago, and I'm still giddy from how amazing it was.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Cracker3011 said:
Well, let's put it this way. I saw the finale an hour ago, and I'm still giddy from how amazing it was.
I saw it live, and now I'm watching it again in HD. Best of both worlds!