So can someone relieve my fear about the 21st?

llew

Sep 9, 2009
SilentCom said:
Think of it this way, you are mortal and death is a certainty for any living creature. To be afraid of a doomsday is to be fearful of death. To be afraid of death is to be fearful of the inevitable. Why fear the inevitable? Might as well work on what isn't inevitable and that is a life worth living for.
well you summed it up pretty nicely right here, "life is a ***** then you die" the wisest words of my physics teacher (and he was crazy), why worry about the inevitable? if your gonna die go out with a bang, a grin and maybe some bubblegum

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
People want your money, they want power over your mind and your beliefs, and they want you to attend their nutso church. Or else they just want you to look at their crazy asses.

There. You should be feeling better already :)

Also, though I don't have chapter and verse, you can find it easily enough on Google:

"No one knows the day, nor the hour, but my father, of my return" (Paraphrased)

"I shall come as a thief in the night."

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
bahumat42 said:
its best not to worry too much about hypothetical things that MIGHT kill you, when theres plenty around that CAN kill you, from muggers, to mrsa etc, shrug it off and get on with your life :D
MRSA won't kill you, it'll just make you look like Eric Stoltz from Mask.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
A few "fun" examples about how much bullshit random peoples predictions are:-

"The N-Gage will revolutionize gaming"
"The thrid reich will stand for a millenia"
"By 1999, people shall be living on the moon"
"Rome will experience an earthquake" supposedly a few days ago
"Mobile phones will never catch on"
"The world will end on the year 2000, 6/6/06 blah blah"
"This anime stuff will just blow over in a few years"
"Fernando Torres is a good investment for this club"

Anyone can make stuff up, it fine to think about it, but with rationality. You cross the line when you hear something and then start panic buying guns and radiation suits.

I do remember hearing one headline off a US news channel which literally had the title of "Fukushima nuclear catastrophy has the potential to kill every living being on earth"........
Well, I'm still waiting to die.

Shymer

Feb 23, 2011
When the stakes are high (or even when they are not) people have difficulty dealing with risk - particularly when the probabilities are tiny. Lotteries are built on the idea of people betting disproportionately more money than they are ever likely to receive. Predictions of the end of the world are fuelled similarly.

You could disregard these stories as unlikely - or disregard them because you would have no say in the matter. Either is probably healthy.

As a parent, I am a supremely bad judge of the risks my young boys face every day. The thought of them being injured, or facing death, makes me hyper-sensitive to what they are doing. So much so that it completely blots out worrying about stuff I have no say or control about - like the end of the world.

If you have the time and space to worry about this kind of thing - you can probably do worse than to get busy gathering responsibilities for people and events around you. Don't stare at a tiny small black dot on the otherwise huge expanse of white paper. Draw stuff in the gaps around it. Eventually you won't see the dot at all.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
I can easily tell you it aint gonna happen. Just look up the guy who predicted it, look at the math he used to get the date and then take a look at how very little it makes sense and how much of it is contrived bullshit without any actual facts to back it up other than "coz teh bible sez so, hurrrr".

It's nothing more than a mass of stupid people grasping at a fairytale in order for them to have an excuse to tell other people how to live their lives while simultaneously putting the heebie-jeebies up themselves and others in their community to petrify them into sticking to the rules dictated to them by a bunch of ignorant nomadic shepherds.

To be honest, I'm surprised you're worried about it at all. If anything you should be laughing at it. I'm excited to see the 21st come around so I can laugh my ass off when absolutely nothing happens. To be honest, you should be more afraid that the people who believe this stuff are the same people who have their finger on the ol' nuke button. These are people who want the world to end just so they can be proven right and go off to a magical fairy land in the sky. That's something to be worried about.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
I don't quite get it. There is no scientific evidence to back up anything about this 21'st, or the 21'st of December next year.
How anyone can place faith into a man who multiplied random numbers from the bible together, squared it and added 1978 I just don't know.

Ren3004

In an unsuspicious cabin
Jul 22, 2009
Okay, let's try:

1) I remember about 6 different doomsday predictions in the meagre 21 years I have walked this Earth.
2) The worst thing I saw happening was the lights going out on New Year's Eve, 1999.
3) If the world does end on the 21st, I will go outside completely naked and dance the Macarena. That's how convinced I am of it.
[sub]That, and if the world does end, I'll be dead anyway. Not that it will, mind you.[/sub]

UltraXan

Mar 1, 2011
Unless Weird Al has something apocalyptic planned for his concert on that date in New York, which I shall be attending :D, then no, nothing will happen. Besides, this is from the Bible, you know, that book that has been chronically wrong about pretty much everything?

Poopster

Dec 23, 2010
Don't worry the world will not end on the 21st because the expiry date of my spam is 2012

oh wait...

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
And hey, even if the world does end, such events are usually really fast and instantaneous, so you won't realize when it happens anyway. You'll be blown to bits, so tiny that the most experienced puzzle will look like a cake walk.
Sweet embrace of death!

Ah yes, death.
Does any of this make you feel better?!

dark-mortality

Apr 7, 2011
Don't worry. If we die, then we don't have to worry about future doomsday predictions :3 Humanity is doomed anyway.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Stop fearing the unknown certainty of the future and have fun that is happening now. Also getting panicking over it will do no good since there is nothing you can do about it.