So Comic Star Lord is Bi/Polyamorous

Zeke davis

Apr 30, 2020
Country
United States
Isn't China like militantly anti-gay? And wouldn't even a hint of homosexuality put a movie at risk of being banned in China? Marvel/Disney won't do anything that will endanger their cut of the Chinese movie market.
The chihnese goverment is acting like they're going to work on gay rights. Doesn't they're going to do that but that's the behavior of militantly anti-gay exactly...

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Isn't China like militantly anti-gay? And wouldn't even a hint of homosexuality put a movie at risk of being banned in China? Marvel/Disney won't do anything that will endanger their cut of the Chinese movie market.
China is where Taiwan and Thailand were a decade or two ago. No longer really against homosexuality but not for it either. Maybe wait 5 years

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Saw this article just now

Honestly, to me this is a non-issue, even in the MCU. I mean they already established he is a horn dog that will fuck anything, including that one species where even Drax was like " a man who would lay with *That species I forget the name of* will do anything." So I mean, he's already polyamorous. He's fucking anything he finds hot, and it's been exclusively NON-Human for...well his entire life really. I mean he was raised by Ravagers, who only have one rule they don't break apparently "don't sell children". So I find it highly unlikely they've got any sexual hangups on par with puritanical humanity.

Do I think they will actually have him in a relationship with a dude on screen? I mean...maybe? *shrugs* Dunno. Don't really care, his arc has always been about trying to establish relationships with others, so it would be a logical story arc in a way, but I just don't see it being some kind of main plot or anything.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, interesting but ultimately sort of redundant for MCU Star Lord, given his already established "I'll fuck them all" mindset.
So long as the overall stories stay good, I say let him fuck whatever he wants.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I mean I very much doubt it, seeing how a major part of his character arc is being in love with Gamora, and he's had no time to mourn or look for the new version of her. I doubt the next Guardians movie just has a cold open of Quill waking up in the bed of some space Stallion talking about how his butthole hurts from last night, but he really needs to get back to looking for the woman she loves.

I think a lot of these types of articles are just looking for clicks, ad revenue and personal assurance of their headcanon and fanfics.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I mean I very much doubt it, seeing how a major part of his character arc is being in love with Gamora, and he's had no time to mourn or look for the new version of her.
He doesn't need to "look" for her, she's on his ship.

I doubt the next Guardians movie just has a cold open of Quill waking up in the bed of some space Stallion talking about how his butthole hurts from last night, but he really needs to get back to looking for the woman she loves.

I think a lot of these types of articles are just looking for clicks, ad revenue and personal assurance of their headcanon and fanfics.
Well we don't know how much time is going to elapse between films, I suspect at least a year or more (Disney usually lets time pass close to real time in these, plus they need to let Thor have enough time to get swol again), so he will have had plenty of time to mourn her. But Quill tends to hang onto his emotional attachments for a long time, just look at his bond to his mother. So I doubt he will have "moved on", but I DO think, they will stress the fact that the Gamorra in the ship with him, isn't HIS Gamorra. Every time he's around her, he will be reminded of how she isn't the one he fell in love with. He will likely make accidental personal references/jokes, forgetting she's not the same one, and then die inside when she just gives him a blank/annoyed look. It's entirely feasible that he would go out prowling brothels as a coping mechanism, to find at least some physical comfort, to dull the ache of his emotional loss.

Of course he's not going to wake up talking about how his ass hurts if they did go the dude/alien dude route. This is still a fucking Disney film.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
He doesn't need to "look" for her, she's on his ship.
No? No she's very clearly not. The last we saw Quill Thor had just boarded and took control of the Guardians and Quill was on a computer searching for Gamora in nearby star systems and nothing was showing up. She is very specifically and clearly NOT with the Guardians anymore.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
No? No she's very clearly not. The last we saw Quill Thor had just boarded and took control of the Guardians and Quill was on a computer searching for Gamora in nearby star systems and nothing was showing up. She is very specifically and clearly NOT with the Guardians anymore.
Huh, yeah just rewatched that bit. Why did she leave? I could've sworn she was on the ship with them in that final sequence. Ah well.

Honestly I wish they didn't just literally rehash the Quill/Gamorra relationship. I hope that at most, they find her so he can basically just say goodbye to her, thank her for helping him become a better person, but that he knows she's not the one he loved, and never will be, and then they just go separate directions or something. To rehash their relationship will feel too much like the parody of this very thing they did in Beerfest. And we could do without that.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Huh, yeah just rewatched that bit. Why did she leave? I could've sworn she was on the ship with them in that final sequence. Ah well.

Honestly I wish they didn't just literally rehash the Quill/Gamorra relationship. I hope that at most, they find her so he can basically just say goodbye to her, thank her for helping him become a better person, but that he knows she's not the one he loved, and never will be, and then they just go separate directions or something. To rehash their relationship will feel too much like the parody of this very thing they did in Beerfest. And we could do without that.
I mean I think that's exactly what they're going to do. If they were just going to have Gamora no longer in the Guardians, she would have dusted/died with Thanos and his army because she wasn't fully redeemed yet. If they were just gonna have her and Quill be platonic and not try to rekindle a romance, she would have been in the ship, they would have shared a sad smile and looked away. I think the fact Quill was looking for her, and she's actively run away is a very clear indicator their relationship isn't done yet. Remember Quill got dusted the same day she died in Infinity War, and the Endgame ending takes place like 2 days later. Even though its been 5 years for like Nebula and Rocket, its been like 72 hours since Quill last saw the woman he loved.
If I had to guess Quill is going to use his Celestial powers to try to undo her death and the soul stone bit, or at least try. Maybe even old/new Gamora will decide the version of her who loved Quill and had been helping people with the Guardians of the Galaxy is more worthy to be alive than she, the barely out of the mad Titan's armies, and she finds a way to switch souls or something like that.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I mean I think that's exactly what they're going to do. If they were just going to have Gamora no longer in the Guardians, she would have dusted/died with Thanos and his army because she wasn't fully redeemed yet. If they were just gonna have her and Quill be platonic and not try to rekindle a romance, she would have been in the ship, they would have shared a sad smile and looked away. I think the fact Quill was looking for her, and she's actively run away is a very clear indicator their relationship isn't done yet. Remember Quill got dusted the same day she died in Infinity War, and the Endgame ending takes place like 2 days later. Even though its been 5 years for like Nebula and Rocket, its been like 72 hours since Quill last saw the woman he loved.
If I had to guess Quill is going to use his Celestial powers to try to undo her death and the soul stone bit, or at least try. Maybe even old/new Gamora will decide the version of her who loved Quill and had been helping people with the Guardians of the Galaxy is more worthy to be alive than she, the barely out of the mad Titan's armies, and she finds a way to switch souls or something like that.
I REALLY hope that's not it. I hope it's going to be a fakeout, and not what is painfully on display from that ending. It would just be really lame. Plus, I think Zoey might be trying to leave the franchise? So this would be a nice way to let the character still exist, to maybe bring back years later with a new actress, but let Zoey step out on a good note. *shrugs*

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I REALLY hope that's not it. I hope it's going to be a fakeout, and not what is painfully on display from that ending. It would just be really lame. Plus, I think Zoey might be trying to leave the franchise? So this would be a nice way to let the character still exist, to maybe bring back years later with a new actress, but let Zoey step out on a good note. *shrugs*
I have no knowledge of Zoey Saldana's plans for Gamora going forward. I don't recall her being on of the actors bowing out of the MCU alongside RDJ, Chris Evan, ScarJo, but she may have been and I just missed it.
Im not sure I care either way if Gamora rekindles her romance or not, as I always thought the Guardians movies and characters were the weakest and least interesting of the MCU movies. Hell I thought Thor's three friends and Sif in Thor 2 were more interesting and likable than all the Guardians, save Nebula who is the clear standout. I just think its obvious something like bringing old Gamora back, or merging her with the new Gamora, or soul replacing is obviously where they're going. Marvel, for all their hints and teases, really doesn't like to take chances or do fakeouts. Look at WandaVision and all that they could have done, and simply didn't. Or Spiderman 2 and the multiverse just getting shut down, and the Loki show confirming there is no multiverse, etc...

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
China is where Taiwan and Thailand were a decade or two ago. No longer really against homosexuality but not for it either. Maybe wait 5 years
There's a weird disconnect between the Chinese government and the Chinese population on this though, because while the Chinese population is increasingly okay with gay content in media, the government has gone incredibly reactionary and is pretty aggressive at censoring anything explicitly gay. A lot of what gets through has to be quite subtle or implied, or else has to be deliberately reframed in editing.

This does not in any way absolve western media companies though. They're entirely capable of growing a spine, and eventually they will because frankly they're getting ripped off in China anyway and begging for scraps is going to get old at some point. It's less about making compromises for financial necessity at this point as it is taking the path of least resistance. Also, Disney's reluctance to show gay content in particular has far less to do with China than it has to do with the company's sense of its own brand image and fears of conservative backlash in the US.

Disney would rather do the silly little dance of talking about how gay their characters are online (because gays are more prominent in online spaces than conservatives) then not actually saying it in the films, and the worst part is it kind of works. There's always a bunch of awful Disney gays who will go along with it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This does not in any way absolve western media companies though. They're entirely capable of growing a spine, and they're not dependent on Chinese revenue because frankly the Chinese government and movie theatre industry rips them off. It's less about making compromises for financial necessity at this point as it is taking the path of least resistance. Disney's reluctance to show gay content in particular has far less to do with China than it has to do with the company's sense of its own brand image and fears of conservative backlash in the US.
Historically conservatives have had massive influence over Hollywood and the content they were allowed to show in movies. It is understandable studios would still be kind of afraid of that since even today we still see 'kid friendly' as meaning no sexual content and being gay or bi as explicitly sexual, which being straight is just assumed and not sexual. I have a feeling that if we lose abortion rights, which is pretty likely, the next target for conservatives here will be gay rights, which they have been oddly quiet on since the supreme court ruling. (although that might have something to do with states having the ability to recognize or ignore marriage in other states is something they don't want to mess with)