So Comic Star Lord is Bi/Polyamorous

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Saw this article just now

Honestly, to me this is a non-issue, even in the MCU. I mean they already established he is a horn dog that will fuck anything, including that one species where even Drax was like " a man who would lay with *That species I forget the name of* will do anything." So I mean, he's already polyamorous. He's fucking anything he finds hot, and it's been exclusively NON-Human for...well his entire life really. I mean he was raised by Ravagers, who only have one rule they don't break apparently "don't sell children". So I find it highly unlikely they've got any sexual hangups on par with puritanical humanity.

Do I think they will actually have him in a relationship with a dude on screen? I mean...maybe? *shrugs* Dunno. Don't really care, his arc has always been about trying to establish relationships with others, so it would be a logical story arc in a way, but I just don't see it being some kind of main plot or anything.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, interesting but ultimately sort of redundant for MCU Star Lord, given his already established "I'll fuck them all" mindset.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I'm thinking they film a 2 second bit that sorta kinda maybe implies he might be bi, but then they'll have to cut it out because the film is too long, or something.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Disney wouldn't do anything they couldn't simply blur in the background or change in the Russian dub. And the whole MCU is so asexual it really doesn't make a difference.

Reactions: Dalisclock

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Neat. Maybe he can hook up with Deadpool for a night he would wake up regretting since Deadpool's skin is moist cooked ham.
*snerks* Yeah, I can see this, even have Deadpool comment about "Hey there mister! Don't be so judgey! I mean YOU slept with a *whatever that alien species was*" And Starlord is like "Gah! It was ONE TIME!! Will the entire GALAXY hold that over me forever?!" :D

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Erm? I seem to remember quite a few heterosexual relationships (or characters wanting such) in the MCU.
True, and I'd say that GotG probably has had more focus on actual relationships in their stories than any other aspect of the MCU, whether it be romantic or familial. But even then it's still fairly sanitized, because you know, Disney and "family friendly." So I really don't know if it will be addressed in the films, nor do I really care honestly. I mean the MCU takes so many liberties with the source material already, I doubt they're going to revamp storylines to account for comic SL declaring he also likes the cock.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
True, and I'd say that GotG probably has had more focus on actual relationships in their stories than any other aspect of the MCU, whether it be romantic or familial. But even then it's still fairly sanitized, because you know, Disney and "family friendly."
Sure, but you don't need to have explicit sex scenes for someone to have a sexuality other than straight. Well, unless there's loads of sex scenes from all the straight people, then it's a noteworthy omission.

So I really don't know if it will be addressed in the films, nor do I really care honestly.
I don't particularly care either, I don't even like the MCU.

But it's been popular for a while now to make big impressive claims about how progressive you are by including LGBT representation and then not actually doing it, and that sort of blatant lies annoys me.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Sure, but you don't need to have explicit sex scenes for someone to have a sexuality other than straight. Well, unless there's loads of sex scenes from all the straight people, then it's a noteworthy omission.
I wasnt' talking about sex scenes, I'm talking about just even the hint of anything non-hetero freaking out a percentage of the movie going base, and causing them to lose their shit. I mean just look at the way they overreacted to the mere hint in the live action Beauty/Beast that the one fanboy of Gaston was gay for him. I heard several people who hadn't seen the film, but who had "heard it from someone" that there was very sexually suggestive scenes in the film. My favorite being from my own mother, who said something about a sauna scene, which isn't in the film at all. But that didn't stop them from whipping themselves up into a No-Homo frenzy about non-existent content in the film. So given how they react like that, I just don't see them even bothering with introducing it for the MCU version. I mean I could see James Gunn doing it, as it seems like something he would probably do well to be frank, I just don't see Disney wanting to even bring it into the discussion.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I wasnt' talking about sex scenes, I'm talking about just even the hint of anything non-hetero freaking out a percentage of the movie going base, and causing them to lose their shit. I mean just look at the way they overreacted to the mere hint in the live action Beauty/Beast that the one fanboy of Gaston was gay for him. I heard several people who hadn't seen the film, but who had "heard it from someone" that there was very sexually suggestive scenes in the film. My favorite being from my own mother, who said something about a sauna scene, which isn't in the film at all. But that didn't stop them from whipping themselves up into a No-Homo frenzy about non-existent content in the film. So given how they react like that, I just don't see them even bothering with introducing it for the MCU version. I mean I could see James Gunn doing it, as it seems like something he would probably do well to be frank, I just don't see Disney wanting to even bring it into the discussion.
Ah, ok, misread you there. And, I'd tend to agree, they'd probably avoid LGBT content...hopefully also avoiding putting in bad analogies to LGBT people theycan congratulate themselves for whilst avoiding actual LGBT people.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Erm? I seem to remember quite a few heterosexual relationships (or characters wanting such) in the MCU.
That's just dressing to make them seem a bit more human. Sexuality doesn't drive these movies nor the actions of the characters. As I recall it most "relationships" are bestowed on characters at the end of a movie (valid for one celebratory peck, followed by some kind of puritanical chastisement) and rescinded at the beginning of the next one either for some ready-made conflict or to save money on an actress who asked for too much. Either way a relationship is the death of the American action hero. Any form of stability means death or retirement.

The most you're gonna get from Disney is fanservice thinly veiled in deniability (Poe looked at Finn! And if Elsa represses her ice powers, what else is she repressing?) or blink-and-miss-it gags especially grown for clickbait and designed for easy censorship in the Russian/Chinese market.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Isn't Chris Pratt part of a church that's a proponent of gay conversion therapy though?

Oh dear.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Isn't Chris Pratt part of a church that's a proponent of gay conversion therapy though?

Oh dear.
I remember hearing that, but I seem to recall he's come out and publicly denied that or something? That it's a mistake about the church he's part of or whatever? *shrugs* I dunno, when people start talking about their religions I tune them out most of the time.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I remember hearing that, but I seem to recall he's come out and publicly denied that or something? That it's a mistake about the church he's part of or whatever? *shrugs* I dunno, when people start talking about their religions I tune them out most of the time.
I've also seen the guy wear a 'don't tread on me' shirt and really be into hunting, so it might be a bit presumptious of me, but this coupled with that rumor about his church... yeah.

I don't know, maybe he'll try to Tom Cruise it and hard cut between his crazy beliefs and his persona infront of the cameras and interviews.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I've also seen the guy wear a 'don't tread on me' shirt and really be into hunting, so it might be a bit presumptious of me, but this coupled with that rumor about his church... yeah.

I don't know, maybe he'll try to Tom Cruise it and hard cut between his crazy beliefs and his persona infront of the cameras and interviews.
*shrugs* I mean the fact that he's part of that church, doesn't automatically mean he supports their gay conversion stuff, assuming that is accurate. Or yeah, he might just be spouting bullshit, because it's in his best interest career wise.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Likely from the J.K Rowling school of inclusivity, no doubt.

Honestly, with Disney being Disney, if any of this stuff actually makes it into the film, it will probably be dubbed over or cut out in other regions, just like every other time they do something for inclusivity points.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
That's just dressing to make them seem a bit more human. Sexuality doesn't drive these movies nor the actions of the characters. As I recall it most "relationships" are bestowed on characters at the end of a movie (valid for one celebratory peck, followed by some kind of puritanical chastisement) and rescinded at the beginning of the next one either for some ready-made conflict or to save money on an actress who asked for too much. Either way a relationship is the death of the American action hero. Any form of stability means death or retirement.
Sure, didn't mean to say they were deep or meaningful, just that they it's part of the formula, at least to some extent. Have to have a nominal (heterosexual) love interest.

*shrugs* I mean the fact that he's part of that church, doesn't automatically mean he supports their gay conversion stuff, assuming that is accurate. Or yeah, he might just be spouting bullshit, because it's in his best interest career wise.
IIRC, his defence was digging himself in deeper, so I think it's the latter. OTOH, you have people that otherwise seem to care (at least to an extent) about LGBT issues associated with the church.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Likely from the J.K Rowling school of inclusivity, no doubt.

Honestly, with Disney being Disney, if any of this stuff actually makes it into the film, it will probably be dubbed over or cut out in other regions, just like every other time they do something for inclusivity points.
It isn’t Disney, it’s only the comics. Maybe this will translate to the MCU but I could imagine they just ignore it. Star Lord isn’t the same in the movies as the comics

Zeke davis

Apr 30, 2020
Country
United States
Good for him.
Dinsey could stand to outdo JK in one area and Gunn seems like the guy who can do it....that doesn't mean it's going to happen tho.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Disney wouldn't do anything they couldn't simply blur in the background or change in the Russian dub. And the whole MCU is so asexual it really doesn't make a difference.
Isn't China like militantly anti-gay? And wouldn't even a hint of homosexuality put a movie at risk of being banned in China? Marvel/Disney won't do anything that will endanger their cut of the Chinese movie market.