So, dat Korra huh? [SPOILER QUARANTINE ZONE: DO NOT ENTER!]

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Mr Companion said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
it was the weakest season of the 4 seasons of Korra, sue to not as good writing, problems with Nickelodeon and running out of ideas. Still not sure how people are misunderstanding the ending and thinking that the two straight best friend characters(Korra and Asami) are gay or bi,when their not... the creators should have not even given people a foothold to think their gay and just had Korra and Mako (who clearly still had feelings for each other still) get back together it would have squashed any doubts a lot of people have been having.

As I said somewhere else they should have ended it with season 3 by having a another episode where Korra recovered after a time gap and have her fully embrace her role as Avatar as she got back together with Mako.would have been better in the long run. to end on a high note of a good season rather then end after a mediocre season plagued by problems.
I'm sure people have already explained a lot of why they think the relationship is canon but it's best to think of it this way.

A: Often gay people are not aware they are gay until they go through some relationships with the opposite sex and realize it doesn't work, or in Korra's case basically one relationship with the same guy and a side with another guy for about a day.
B: What I took away from the scene is that the two characters are not fully consious of the fact that they have such a powerful connection to eachother, they seem to have a strong desire to spend time alone with eachother, even to the point of excluding anybody else from joining them. My opinion is that the ending isn't "They were lesbians the whole tiiime!" but that if Korra was to ever find a stable relationship? It would probably be with Asami. I would go as far as to argue that if the implications were intentional then it's by far the best and most subtly written romance in the show.

I'm not sure why some people insist on Mako and Korra. They are proven to not work together at all. They both admit it so I don't know why people insist on it. Is it because Mako is the nearest grizzled white male hunk with a dark past and a brooding nature? Perhaps.
Mako, like everyone pale-skinned in the Avatarverse, is actually fantasy-counterpart Asian. Specifically, his mother was Fire Nation (which, despite naming customs, is not fantasy-counterpart Japan as most of the fanbase thinks, but sort of a fusion of China and Thailand with some Indian, Japanese, and Mesoamerican influence mixed in) and his father was Earth Kingdom (fantasy-counterpart China with the occasional dash of South Korea, more-or-less).

But...yeah, that's pretty much it. Fandoms always find a blandly pretty pale dude who glowers a lot upon whom to fixate.

And I think the implication is more that they're bi or pan. I'm going mainly about the fact that both of them did seem to be genuinely romantically interested in Mako, and the fact that the sky to the sides of the new portal looks like two great big bi-pride flags; even so. One way or another: they seem to be genuinely in love and genuinely devoted to one another, and they've had more build-up than any other central-cast pairing.

ETA: Bryke have confirmed the following: Yes, Korra and Asami are girlfriends. No, they didn't initially set out to pair the girls??they didn't really feel that Korra needed an endgame love interest??but it has nothing to do with fan demand; it developed organically out of her friendship and chemistry with Asami. Yes, both women are canonically bisexual. No, Korra and Mako getting back together after Book 2 was never on the agenda.