So...Dawn of War III...

Sep 24, 2008
You know, I'm ok with no Chaos marines. Screw Chaos Marines.

But you know what I'd like to see? Chaos Demons. Enough of this Ken and Ryu stuff. Chaos Demons need focus for once in these RTS's. Enough people play the army that to never to have it truly represented in the biggest video game series outing the IP has ever seen is a little bit weird.

Aug 31, 2012
Worgen said:
They did show up though, they show up in dow3 also, have really nice looking infantry too. I think technically one of your heroes is part of the guard, Lady Solaria. Shes the Imperial Knight. I think they are much more of part of the guard then a space marine.
*annoying voice* Uhhhh, actually...*cough*

Sorry. Those guys that show up in the first couple of missions aren't guard, they're the household troops of the House Varlock Imperial Knights, like the mechanicus have the skitarii. Knight houses aren't part of the guard, they are seperate although they generally have close ties to the mechanicus.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Refund it.

It did not sell well. There is little public interest reflected in the community content. There is little interest in the fanbase. It'll be 33% off by winter and is likely to do worse than DoW2.

I'm not including technical and mechanical failings because i did't get interested enough to seek out details.

chrissx2

Sep 15, 2008
60 Euro and the "It's a moba" comments in reviews are really putting me off. I'll buy it when it goes below 20 Euro mark.
Is there at least proper base building in this one?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Silentpony said:
Poor game. Its basically just Warcraft 3, in space. I wouldn't be surprised if some form of DOTA comes about from this.
Warcraft 3 has an excellent story behind it. Does DoW3?

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
008Zulu said:
Silentpony said:
Poor game. Its basically just Warcraft 3, in space. I wouldn't be surprised if some form of DOTA comes about from this.
Doesn't sound like the camp is any more than a tutorial for multiplayer.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
008Zulu said:
Spacewolf said:
Doesn't sound like the camp is any more than a tutorial for multiplayer.
Ugh. Lame. Relic must be spinning in their graves.
But they're still alive...I think...

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
008Zulu said:
Silentpony said:
No. The campaign is all of 8 levels long, and its just a tutorial for the MP. Dawn of War has fallen prey to the AAA virus of 'only multiplayer matters, no one plays single player'

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I was hoping for another awesome campaign like DoW2, or Chaos Rising that has heavy RPG elements and loot and stuff. Those were great. I also loved Dark Crusade's risk map type thing. It's a shame the campaign is just apparently a linear collection missions. Or hell, even another last stand mode would have been great.

I love the DoW franchise but I won't be picking this up any time soon.

I really think it was a moronic idea for Relic to try to capture the esports market. DoW was really just great to see all your favourite races and armies smash together in big blobs with cool sync kills. I've been replaying the 1st one recently, it's absurdly imbalanced. 2 was a lot more balanced and I'd say I enjoy it's combat more, but it's nowhere near competitive level of balance.

They should have realized that people just like over the top arcadey RTS games with a very heavy investment into the 40k theme and lore. That's what sold the first two.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Worgen said:
I think technically one of your heroes is part of the guard, Lady Solaria. Shes the Imperial Knight. I think they are much more of part of the guard then a space marine.
If I remember my 40k lore, knights are sort of their own thing. They are sort of affiliated with the Adeptus Mechanicus and the Titan legions, but they have their own weird techno-feudal planets which they rule themselves. From what I've seen, which is mostly trailers, it seems like the justification for including them is that the planet in question is a Knight world and the marines have actually arrived, in part, to help out the knights who live there.

Oct 22, 2011
Silentpony said:
If it's really like Warcraft III but in space, i'm sold. Not full price sold, but still sold, that campaign was fun.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
So to anyone who played the campaign.

1. Do Imperial Guard become playable with a limited unit roster? Dawn of War 1 had you controlling Guardsmen and Lemen Russes.

2. Are Chaos the badguy or the foreshadowed badguy here?

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:

1. Do Imperial Guard become playable with a limited unit roster? Dawn of War 1 had you controlling Guardsmen and Lemen Russes.

1. No, they're never playable. It's just the three factions.

2. Yes, and three guesses who the main Chaos God is behind the bloodshed. And no, they aren't playable.

OT: The final campaign mission is...completely stupid lore wise. I'll spoiler it here just in case but as someone who plays this game for its campaign, this game really blows.

So after the Khorne Bloodthirster emerges because duh, Gabriel Angelos, Farseer Macha, and Gorgutz all decide to team and and fight together. You are then treated a very WOW like thing where you control all 3 characters only and take down the Bloodthirster. This might have been interesting if the guy wasn't so piss easy. You just repeat your combos each character has until the raid boss I mean Bloodthirster retreats to drink blood and regain health while sending trash mobs at you. After you beat this way too long boss all parties (including Gorgutz who is a bloody ork) decides to call it a truce and go their separate ways. Total. lore. bullcrap.

Aug 31, 2012
xaszatm said:
So after the Khorne Bloodthirster emerges because duh, Gabriel Angelos, Farseer Macha, and Gorgutz all decide to team and and fight together. You are then treated a very WOW like thing where you control all 3 characters only and take down the Bloodthirster. This might have been interesting if the guy wasn't so piss easy. You just repeat your combos each character has until the raid boss I mean Bloodthirster retreats to drink blood and regain health while sending trash mobs at you. After you beat this way too long boss all parties (including Gorgutz who is a bloody ork) decides to call it a truce and go their separate ways. Total. lore. bullcrap.
Well, the first bit does actually sound cool in a /tg/ kind of way. I expect the drawf...fan artists to get on it, pronto.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Zykon TheLich said:
xaszatm said:
Well, the first bit does actually sound cool in a /tg/ kind of way. I expect the drawf...fan artists to get on it, pronto.
I mean, it's better than current 40k lore in which Robuote Guilliman is making Super Space Marines with his own geneseed designed to be superior to regular Space Marines. Guess we found out why Matt Ward was rehired. Now he really will be everyone's "spiritual liege."

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
chrissx2 said:
60 Euro and the "It's a moba" comments in reviews are really putting me off. I'll buy it when it goes below 20 Euro mark.
Is there at least proper base building in this one?
Ignore the "it's a MOBA" stuff. There's plenty wrong with the game, but it has probably less in common with MOBAs than many other RTS games.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
xaszatm said:
Samtemdo8 said:

1. No, they're never playable. It's just the three factions.

2. Yes, and three guesses who the main Chaos God is behind the bloodshed. And no, they aren't playable.

OT: The final campaign mission is...completely stupid lore wise. I'll spoiler it here just in case but as someone who plays this game for its campaign, this game really blows.

THIS GAME HAS BLOODTHIRSTER!!!??? YES, BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!!!