So. Dragonball Super's Tournament Arc Twist (Spoilers)

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
For those that don't know:

Buu has apparently fallen asleep again and now Goku is looking to ask Freeza of all people to join his team.

Personally: I hate this. Freeza served his purpose. Having him come back again feels lazy. And I think that of all characters, Yamcha should be the one to join them. He hasn't had a chance to fight at all throughout Super and this could be an opportunity to reveal he's been training behind the scenes to get stronger in case another event like Freeza happens, especially after finding out Tien didn't even bother to get him to help.

Your thoughts? Rebuttals?

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I stopped caring about DragonBall during the Buu saga back in the day, and I never got back into it. I only really liked the series up until the Cell saga. Maybe I just grew out of the series.

That being said, yea bringing Freeza back is kinda lame. Heck, I saw something on youtube about Freeza having trained and achieving a golden form a while back, and already thought he was overused at that point. I think they're bringing him back again and again because the Freeza saga was probably the most popular one back in the day? And maybe they're trying to milk him as much as possible. Not sure though.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Well, Freeza is the most recognizable and popular (read marketable) of the Z villains, and having him on the team would give U7 another powerful fighter roughly on par with Goku/Vegeta, as opposed to vastly weaker, like pretty much every other living option (Yamcha, Tien, Chiaotzu)[footnote]Then again power scaling is a crapshoot in DBS anyway[/footnote].

Personally, if they're going for dead fighters, I feel like Perfect Cell would be a better pick. He does share the saiyan love of fighting and a good challenge, arguably making him a more suitable candidate for a tournament. He's not as powerful as golden form Freeza, but still much stronger than the majority of other U7 dead candidates (there's Pikkon, but he's just DBZ filler).

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Vausch said:
For those that don't know:

Buu has apparently fallen asleep again and now Goku is looking to ask Freeza of all people to join his team.

Personally: I hate this. Freeza served his purpose. Having him come back again feels lazy. And I think that of all characters, Yamcha should be the one to join them. He hasn't had a chance to fight at all throughout Super and this could be an opportunity to reveal he's been training behind the scenes to get stronger in case another event like Freeza happens, especially after finding out Tien didn't even bother to get him to help.

Your thoughts? Rebuttals?
Yamcha arguably already had his time to shine during the Baseball filler episode, so the writers might have written him off after that.

As for the entire Freeza thing, I feel like it's just going to be an one or two episode filler arc, something is going to come up last minute, Freeza is sent back to the netherworld and Buu is going to wake up. Just like the Mafuuba red herring, sure, it shocked Zamasu into wanting to fuse, but from the start it was never a viable solution to the problem and just a major time filler and a nod back to DB, trying to get some nostalgia browny points.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
If Freiza is going to joined them, it won't suprised me at all if he double cross them or everyone somehow. Ok it would be interesting if he face his counterpart, Froze.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Yeah ... I watch super for the fight scenes, not the plot.

Goku said he'd never kissed Chi Chi in Black saga despite having two kids... who the fuck is writing theses any more?

So as long as Golden Freeza leads to better fights it fine.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I kinda think Frieza is just being brought in to get jobbed hard. In fact, I predict a jobbing-chain that starts with him getting jobbed by Hit and then Hit getting jobbed by Jiren.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
This is continuing a trend that ironically started with 'Resurrection F' where Toei is making all these good, crowd-winning decisions and then dropping the ball for no discernible reason. It's been a trend for most of Super.

With Resurrection F, the big draw was bringing back the series' greatest villain for and making him a credible threat to our heroes once more. There were teases that Vegeta would get some long-awaited payback, but even the promise of a Frieza/Goku rematch where both sides were equal was tantalising enough. But what we got instead was a fight with no tension (because they had to have Beerus and Whis onhand so they could undercut the threat and make a bunch of lame food jokes), new transformations with no buildup and a deus ex machina ending.

It's been like that ever since. Oh, we're doing a new series? Enjoy retellings of the first two movies with worse animation and an English dub nowhere in sight. A Universe 6 vs Universe 7 tournament? Let's write out Buu and Gohan, waste a slot with Monaka and give Piccolo one decent fight which he loses. At least Hit and the return of Kaioken made that worthwhile.

The Future Trunks arc was the worst of all. We have cool new villains, deeper story and themes than any previous Dragonball, callbacks, character moments, great fights, the return of Vegito and Trunks getting the win! How do you fuck that up?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

They were on to a good thing with the Universe Survival Arc. That first marketing promo of the ten Universe 7 fighters was the hypest thing fans had seen from Dragonball in ages. Everyone was so excited to see all these forgotten characters returning to the fray. Why did they have to undercut that goodwill by swapping out one of the ten for a villain they wasted last time around? I'll withhold judgement on how they handle Frieza until the episode comes out, but whether they pull it off or not, it didn't need to be this way. The arc already had enough to do setting up other universes, establishing the other Universe 7 fighters and providing a good tournament at the end of it all. Why did they feel the need to throw this in on top of everything else?

My hope is that this is all part of some character work they have planned for Goku. Despite his increased screentime in Super compared to Z, he's remained flat, but this arc looked like it was going to explore and deconstruct him. Longing for battle, endangering the universes to do so, and subsequently becoming the Enemy of Existence as a result. His main enemies are a team of superheroes for god's sake. This has to be leading to something, and maybe bringing back Frieza will be part of that. Either he's gotten careless enough that he seriously can't see what the problem would be with recruiting a genocidal tyrant, or he's starting to realise the consequences and looking for desperate measures. Either way, it could drive a wedge between him and his friends, which might be a trigger for some actual development. Who knows? I'm probably giving them too much credit.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Why are people even watching Super? The show is a super bad fan fic. I got tired of DB years ago. DBZ ABrigded by Team Four Star being the exception

As far as I am concerned, DBZ ended at the Cell saga. The Buu saga I hated, as it was Cell 2.0, but make it more long and overly tedious. The only thing I liked about it was Videl. Almost everything else was stupid or a waste of a great idea. God, am I glad to watch anime outside of the standards shonen affair. Super and Digimon Tri seemed to be run by amateurs writers picked of the street. Especially Tri.

Kurt91

Feb 16, 2017
Country
United States
I kind of agree with the idea of using Perfect Cell instead. His obsession with perfection and being the best would drive him towards doing his best in the tournament instead of constantly looking for a chance to double-cross the team. Also, since he's so much weaker than the current cast now, it has a good opportunity for a bit of humor.

Think about it, they'd need to power him up really strong, really quickly. Is the hyperbolic time chamber still available? His training would essentially boil down to "blast him down to a single cell, let him regenerate and his Saiyan DNA give him a power boost, and then immediately repeat the process" for however long the time chamber would stretch out the time until the tournament.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
kurt91 said:
I kind of agree with the idea of using Perfect Cell instead. His obsession with perfection and being the best would drive him towards doing his best in the tournament instead of constantly looking for a chance to double-cross the team. Also, since he's so much weaker than the current cast now, it has a good opportunity for a bit of humor.

Think about it, they'd need to power him up really strong, really quickly. Is the hyperbolic time chamber still available? His training would essentially boil down to "blast him down to a single cell, let him regenerate and his Saiyan DNA give him a power boost, and then immediately repeat the process" for however long the time chamber would stretch out the time until the tournament.
Vegeta blew up the time chamber from the inside. Again. Popo was not happy.

Cell was slightly weaker than Super Saiyan 2 Gohan at the time, which is still far stronger than at least 3 of the people on the roster. 17 is likely stronger than Cell was now, 18 we don't know her full potential but we know she's gotten stronger. I just wonder if he would have a soul in Hell to be resurrected given he was an artificial being. It's the Android 16 question: 16 was never "alive" so he might not have been brought back when Cell's victims were revived.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
doesn't bother me much. DB has never been high art to me, and from the beginning I've only enjoyed it by applying the MST3k mantra to just about everything.

that's actually saved me a lot of stress over the years, because a lot of people take the show seriously, whereas to me it's a "Michael Bay" style time waster.

It's a shame, because by the standards of time wasters Super is actually pretty good. Power creep has gotten so bad in dragonball that from basically the Buu arc on, you'd have to twist and warp the plot to make a non-saiyan character be worth anything in an arc. Super stopped even trying to have it make sense, and as a result the entire ensemble is actually fun to watch again. It's not necessarily just the Goku and Vegeta super show.

that said, has anyone noticed that TFS' interpretation of the characters seems to have made its way over to the official adaption? I recall one chapter had both a "Spooky mr. popo" and a "buttmonkey yamcha" joke, and I don't think either of those were staples of the series before.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
balladbird said:
doesn't bother me much. DB has never been high art to me, and from the beginning I've only enjoyed it by applying the MST3k mantra to just about everything.

that's actually saved me a lot of stress over the years, because a lot of people take the show seriously, whereas to me it's a "Michael Bay" style time waster.

It's a shame, because by the standards of time wasters Super is actually pretty good. Power creep has gotten so bad in dragonball that from basically the Buu arc on, you'd have to twist and warp the plot to make a non-saiyan character be worth anything in an arc. Super stopped even trying to have it make sense, and as a result the entire ensemble is actually fun to watch again. It's not necessarily just the Goku and Vegeta super show.

that said, has anyone noticed that TFS' interpretation of the characters seems to have made its way over to the official adaption? I recall one chapter had both a "Spooky mr. popo" and a "buttmonkey yamcha" joke, and I don't think either of those were staples of the series before.
Y'know the worst part is they had an easy opportunity to give the human characters a big power boost without it being an arse pull: All they had to do was find a way for the humans to awaken God Ki.

That allows them to get a rapid power boost, they can develop it, they can keep up with the Saiyans, it can allow for some unique traits with Gohan, Goten, Trunks, and Pan, and if they wanted to go a bit further they could say that humans are BETTER at controlling God Ki than the Saiyans are because humans don't have a biological mechanism of transformation that's required for them to get stronger. Uub showed us that humans have the potential to keep up with Saiyans in that he HURT Goku when he was 10 years old and had no formal training for his power yet.

They could have tied that into the Universe 6 arc, having us find out the reason the earth in Universe 6 was destroyed is because humans got access to God Ki and found out how to control and spread it, making the populace of the planet more powerful than the Saiyan race. But because humanity always has to have an enemy, they fought with each other and all that power at once caused the earth to be destroyed and humanity wiped out in the process. Now with universe 6's earth returned, the humans of U6 discover that aliens and gods of destruction exist and go "Holy shit, that's scary! We gotta make sure they never attack us by attacking them first!", and it creates an arc of a near universal war in Universe 6 all because Champa wanted instant noodles.

Also yes, they even went so far as to make a "Kaio-what?" joke.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
All we know for now is that Goku's going to ask Freeza. Wouldn't be the first time Toei and Toriyama subverted our expectations.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I am not concerned about that. In fact, it helps mitigate one of the main issues I had with the Tournament arc: everyone strong enough in the universe is from Earth... Everyone.

Sure, there are some aliens (that live on earth) and some androids (created on earth), but this is a team composed of the strongest characters in the entire UNIVERSE. It shows some very restricted imagination when there is no one else, in any other planet, that is strong enough to reconsider Tien or Krillin. It was pushing it when the extended cast was the strongest people in the galaxy (and Roshi), but now we are talking universe level and nobody joined? Really? With all the examples of aliens they found semiregularly, there is no one stronger than Roshi?

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Honestly, Super is okay for standalone stories. My inner child is happy just to see things and it holds my attention while entertaining me enough to say I do enjoy it. However, my inner lore nerd despises Super immensely and is constantly trying to lure other parts of me over. He's currently wining and dining desire for reasonable character interactions who is less than pleased at this decision.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
Super's treatment of Yamcha is *completely out of character* for the actual show characters. They're treating him as the stupid internet meme Yamcha. Its completely fourth wall breaking and really annoys me.

All they need to do to redeem these characters after the shoddy writing of Toriyama in DBZ crapped on the human characters is to treat them with respect and let them kick some butt and accomplish something. But they're apparently incapable of doing that.

The ToP was the perfect place to redeem the human characters, but I can already see them blowing it. They've already destroyed much of Tien's reputation already to hype up Roshi of all people.

Vausch said:
Y'know the worst part is they had an easy opportunity to give the human characters a big power boost without it being an arse pull: All they had to do was find a way for the humans to awaken God Ki.
Completely agreed. This was the perfect opportunity to level the playing field and they blew it.