So Escapist users, how did you discover your favourite band?

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
Listening to a friend's iPod, Jonny Sniper came on in the mix... the rest is history. I loved it, looked up the band, I currently own both albums and most singles.
Ladies and gentlemen. My favourite band: Enter Shikari

Although at the moment I'm obsessing over My Chemical Romance and The Blackout.
I really liked both those bands anyway, but after seeing them live (The Blackout supporting MCR) my love for them grew.
Oh and Green Day. Basically, I got American Idiot when it was first released, but I only really got into them after 21st Century Breakdown.

I can never just pick one band.

flamingjimmy

Jan 11, 2010
I discovered the mighty Lagwagon on Tony Hawks 2 (the greatest soundtrack in the histroy of video games). The song on that game (may 16th) is still one of my favorites and I celebrate every year on that day. Tomorrow I will drink with my 1 friend who also loves them (and discovered them in the same place).

As for my other favorite band, Protest the Hero, I-tunes recommended them to me, which seemed bizarre at the time because I didn't have anything remotely like them in my music library, I'm certainly not complaining though.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Radiohead for me.

I had been a massive fan of Muse for a while and had heard constant comparisons with Radiohead and them for a while. My brother had mentioned them and my friend is a massive fan and so recommended some songs and I borrowed my brother's album Ok Computer and since then i've been hooked.

I generally just listened to just Ok Computer and The Bends for awhile and was put off by their newer music as it was more electronica but I generally got more into it and now love all of their music. They have kept me company a lot the past year through good and bad times.

:)

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
I'm not sure if this is what really started it for me, but this certainly brings back memories from my childhood.

http://www.stickdeath.com/whisky.html

Or maybe i'm just putting my stick on a good song. ( :

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
hmm, i think it was about 3-4 years back when i was looking at mod videos for Star wars: Empire at War, i liked the song so i asked the guy what it was. From then on i was a big fan of Nightwish.
This was the song i think
<youtube=Z9MsW1b0QAA>

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
steeple said:
the current ones:

Pearl jam: after hearing Alive and Even Flow in guitar hero 3 I was aware that the band even exists, and after hearing one of my brothers CD's (guess which album it was, Ill give you ten hints...) I grew fond of the band
My first girlfriend, was the drummers niece...<.<

StellarViking

Apr 10, 2011
I used to love System of a Down but I didn't like the direction their latest albums went. I learned about them from TV.

My favorite band is Rush. I discovered them due to their record Caress of Steel, which my dad had on vinyl. I played it, heard Bastille Day, fell in love.

Also, Malice Mizer, which I learned of through a friend. Shame they've all but broken up now.

steeple

Death by tray it shall be
Dec 2, 2008
Sacman said:
steeple said:
the current ones:

Pearl jam: after hearing Alive and Even Flow in guitar hero 3 I was aware that the band even exists, and after hearing one of my brothers CD's (guess which album it was, Ill give you ten hints...) I grew fond of the band
which one of them? Cameron?

really doesnt matter, still awesome

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
steeple said:
Sacman said:
steeple said:
the current ones:

I guess, I don't know that much about Pearl Jam so it could've been any of their drummers...

steeple

Death by tray it shall be
Dec 2, 2008
Sacman said:
steeple said:
Sacman said:
steeple said:
the current ones:

I guess, I don't know that much about Pearl Jam so it could've been any of their drummers...
either way, be sure to give her this

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
Er... wathcing the movie of Woodstock when I was sixteen opened me up to a great number of bands I really love, though I don't particularly compartmentalised or order the bands I love, since it tends to be a fairly fluid state.

Trololo Punk

May 14, 2011
Some for opening for other bands I've gone to see in the past, and also, recommendations from different sources based on my other likes

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
I found Guns N Roses through Guitar Hero 3. Welcome to the Jungle was such a good song I decided to look into the band.

I also found The Rolling Stones and The Beatles through my father, who played the music durring long car rides.

SplashyAxis

May 1, 2010
I was in the Lourve in Paris on a school trip in Feburary 2008. Actually to be more specific, I was in the Virgin Megastore music shop in the Lourve (for those that haven't been, there's essentially a small shopping mall in the Lourve. Starbucks and everything, it's crazy.)

Anyway one of the songs playing while I was in there was 'Jigsaw Falling Into Place' by Radiohead and I immedeately bought their album 'In Rainbows' while I was there. It was love at first listen, and then I bought the rest of their albums not long after that when I got back home. It's probably the only time I've listened to music being played in a music store and actually wanted to know who it was.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
steeple said:
Sacman said:
steeple said:
Sacman said:
steeple said:
the current ones:

either way, be sure to give her this
I haven't seen her since my Freshmen year in highschool, from what I hear she moved up north to Seattle...<.<

Voxgizer

Jan 12, 2011
anANGRYkangaroo said:
Just searching up bands from my heritage. Found a gem of a power metal band :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHrK1CwjvVU
Wow, thanks for sharing these guys. Digging them already. :D

As for my favourite band, they were half the sound track of Crazy Taxi, no not The Offspring, but they're close. Bad Religion. Between Crazy Taxi and THPS2 I was hooked, still my favourite band to this day.