So Escapist! What University will you be attending? (/do you attend?)

purplecactus

Jun 25, 2012
I've just gone into my second year at the University of the Highlands and Islands, West Highland College (Fort William, basically), studying a BA in adventure tourism management. The whole fresher's week thing has been amazing, though our new bunch of firsties seem kinda shy when they don't have any alcohol in them.

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
JoJo said:
Crenelate said:
JoJo said:
Going into third (final) year of biology at Exeter University, UK.
I'm moving in with some 3rd year Biology students in Exeter! Never met 'em. It could be yoooouuuu!
That would be a strange coincidence... but both the people I'm moving in with this year I already know. Funny story though, one of my friends on Facebook is friends with someone who has your avatar as their profile pic so I'm guessing that's you... ran across it completely by accident a few months ago.
Yep, that'll be me, I was using this avatar a little while ago. Presumably the friend of your friend is my new housemate. Small world!

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
Starting my second year at the University of Winchester (England) soonish. I'm studying English.

Wickatricka

Aug 26, 2011
Does no one care about the university's chess teams? That a world I would like to live in one day.

Spectral Dragon

Jun 14, 2011
Lund university, I've studied physics for about a week there and I love it, though I don't understand enough of it yet. :D

It is a bit odd, though, I thought there'd be more LU-ers here... Or at least one other.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
BlueberryMUNCH said:
Hi guys, been a while since I've made a thread haha. How are you all?

SO, I'm not sure how things are outside of the UK, but University terms start very soon!
I'm just curious as to what University you guys are going to and what you're studying.

Personally, I'm headed up to the University of Nottingham to study Classical Civilization. Wheeey.

So whatabout you guys? Anyone else as nervous/excited as I am? Haha.
[small]p.s, anyone else go Nottingham? :eek:.[/small].

Wishing all you other freshers the best of luck, and have fun!
I graduated in July 2011 from the University of Nottingham with a BSc (Hons) degree in Biochemistry and biological chemistry and 4 months after graduation I found a job in Leeds as a biochemist. I loved Nottingham, the university campus is amazing and I am sure you will love it. Best of luck in your studies and I hope you enjoy uni as much as I did :)

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
I study automotive engineering at the University of Applied Arts and Sciences in Dortmund, Germany.

Difficult as fuck, I'm telling you.

But worth it.

Jjtricky

Apr 9, 2009
Zombie_Fish said:
Ctrl+F "Bristol"

Huh.

If it isn't obvious, University of Bristol is where I'm studying. The subject is Computer Science and I'm about to go into my second year. I would post more details about it but there isn't much else to add as we don't get optional or external units until the third and fourth years.
Oh! Oh! I'm here! PICK ME!

I'm studying computer science too. What hall did you stay in? I'm starting next month, and am quite worried about it.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Jjtricky said:

I'm studying computer science too. What hall did you stay in? I'm starting next month, and am quite worried about it.
I stayed in Goldney Hall. Is an amazing place to live - if you aren't going there then I would recommend visiting it for either the annual Play or the Summer Ball (the Goldney Ball is the larger event but I reckon you can see more of the grounds when attending the play). Everyone I know who attended either of those events really enjoyed it.

Everyone gets that way before leaving for Uni; you soon adapt. It's very easy to make friends through societies, courses, halls and whatnot. As for the course, there are tough points,[footnote]Lowest point for me was when there was a piece of coursework to be done in pairs, my partner took part in Jailbreak [http://www.ubu.org.uk/news/article/UBU/47/] which meant he was in Belgium on the weekend the coursework was due in on and I went out for a friend's birthday party on Saturday. Long story short, I didn't start cooking dinner on Sunday until about twenty to midnight.[/footnote] but most of it is fine and you always find time for stuff. Just hope that they don't move all the exams back until Summer again, as seven exams over four weeks is not fun.

Other bits of advice: Don't buy the books unless you're really interested or you actually need the book for the course (for our year, you only needed the books for Theory of Computation and Computer Networks, and even then you can find the Computer Networks one online easily) and join Zombie Apocalypse Network [http://www.bristolzombiesoc.co.uk/] as it is the greatest society in all of existence.

Nemesis729

Jul 9, 2010
Wickatricka said:
community college lol :(
Eh nothing wrong with that, I'm in community college now as well, just gotta keep your chin up.

OT: Like I said I'm in community college majoring in criminal justice, Planning on transferring to Arizona State or SUNY Albany.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
I've gone back to college to do A-Levels after doing a BTec ND in Performing Arts from '05 to '07. I want to go into forensics, biochemistry or biology at Uni after college but I want to study in the US. I have no interest in staying in the UK so will shortly be looking into my options after I've finished my A-Levels (only started on Monday so hopefully in 2 years' time I'll be off to Uni!).

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Maeta said:
EscapeGoat said:
MelasZepheos said:
I went to Lancaster University. Great town, great people, terrible course.
LANCASTER?! There's Lancastrians on these boards?! You and me. A duel to the death. 20 minutes.

In case history's not your thing, I'm at the University of York, studying English Lit. Woo, so useful :p
Finally! A York student!

I've just done 4 years there, and am about to return to doing chemistry phd there.
I share that sentiment - you're the first York student I've seen on these boards, and I'm certain there's been a fair few uni topics lately.

Are you involved in any societies or groups? Who knows, we may have met without even realising it. I mean, I hung around with a bunch of biochemistry third years for a far portion of last year, but I'm not exactly certain of the level of integration the biochems get with the normal chemistry guys :p

Jjtricky

Apr 9, 2009
Zombie_Fish said:
Jjtricky said:

I stayed in Goldney Hall. Is an amazing place to live - if you aren't going there then I would recommend visiting it for either the annual Play or the Summer Ball (the Goldney Ball is the larger event but I reckon you can see more of the grounds when attending the play). Everyone I know who attended either of those events really enjoyed it.

Everyone gets that way before leaving for Uni; you soon adapt. It's very easy to make friends through societies, courses, halls and whatnot. As for the course, there are tough points,[footnote]Lowest point for me was when there was a piece of coursework to be done in pairs, my partner took part in Jailbreak [http://www.ubu.org.uk/news/article/UBU/47/] which meant he was in Belgium on the weekend the coursework was due in on and I went out for a friend's birthday party on Saturday. Long story short, I didn't start cooking dinner on Sunday until about twenty to midnight.[/footnote] but most of it is fine and you always find time for stuff. Just hope that they don't move all the exams back until Summer again, as seven exams over four weeks is not fun.

Other bits of advice: Don't buy the books unless you're really interested or you actually need the book for the course (for our year, you only needed the books for Theory of Computation and Computer Networks, and even then you can find the Computer Networks one online easily) and join Zombie Apocalypse Network [http://www.bristolzombiesoc.co.uk/] as it is the greatest society in all of existence.
Summer seems AGES away at the moment :p

I'm living in Wills Hall, what is your view on that? I heard it has a reputation for being upper class, is that true?

What was the jump from A-level (assuming you took them) to university like?

I've also heard that there are loads of lectures compared to other subjects, is that true?

Sorry for the questions, I just want to be as prepared as possible :p Thanks for the advice as well!

Fingerprint

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2008
University of Life. No need for qualifications, no tuition fees, anyone can go and you can't (really) fail.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
TheFunPolice said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I live in Nottingham :D

I studied Law & Criminology at the University of Lincoln, really nice city too.

I always pictured you living in Nottingham...Just seems so fitting..

OT: I dunno man..I'm only 15, once I start Collage I'll have more of an idea of what I want to do
Wut?

How?

How do I fit Nottingham exactly? :D
You seem like someone who likes to liven up their evening by getting shot at. ;)

I kid. It was just the first joke I thought of about Nottingham. The city with the most exaggerated gun crime in the country. To hear some people talk, you'd think it was being run by the Chicago Mafia.

OT: I studied Electronic Engineering (followed by Software Engineering) at Southampton.