So Escapist! What University will you be attending? (/do you attend?)

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Magicduck said:
Evil Smurf said:
Swinburne University of technology. My campus is shutting down though. :(
OMG! Your from Victoria/Australia and at Lilydale campus right? I got to Swinburne too except I'm a design hipster at Prahran and we're all getting moved to Hawthorn.
yep, I live in mount evelyn so the lilydale campus is *that* close away. I did Diploma of Childrens Services (I dropped our because I don't want to go to Wantirna) I will be going to the Monash Peninsula campus to do bachelor or primary education in January.

Nice to know there are Fellow Swinburne students on the escapist.

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
I'm currently studying at University of Minnesota Duluth. Finishing up a few straggling classes for my Biology and Biochemistry B.S. degrees as well as a bunch of classes for my Math B.S. Last year of undergraduate classes though. Already have my Chemistry B.S. (coursework) completed.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Matthew94 said:
Bad phrasing, my apologies, I would has thought you'd know I was in the UK but never mind. I'm starting that degree in a few days, not the uni.

Sorry :(
Gah, "what", not "where".

I'm full of fail.

With THAT in mind, electronic engineering is fun. I'm not sure if anything differs in the UK, but over here, it's a mixed batch of programming, soldering and theory. You'll want to brush up on your high school math a bit. Wanna give yourself a boost? Learn how to read a resistor.

Otherwise, just enjoy it. It's not too hard so far.

Alex Cowan

Feb 13, 2010
Eamar said:
About to start my third year at the University of Oxford (Merton College), studying Ancient and Modern History.

Snippy the Shoe said:
I'll be starting a four year master's in chemistry at Oxford on the 2nd of October....Now to see if I still remember everything I've been taught.
*waves*
*also waves*

I'm just starting BA Music at St Hugh's. Really excited, but kinda scared...

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
I'm currently at the University of Bath (UK) myself. A great uni with amazing facilities, populated by Oxbridge rejects. It won University of the year 2011/12 from the Sunday Times, and oh boy did they milk that title. I must escape!

Blackdoom

Sep 11, 2008
I'm Studying Chemistry at Swinburne University of Technology it is a pretty good university especially for science however it would be nice if they stopped jerking off to how good they think they are.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I'm just starting at Liverpool John Moores to do building surveying. Anyone else in Liverpool, say hi, I seem to be fitting pretty awfully so it would be cool to meet some people.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Fingerprint said:
University of Life. No need for qualifications, no tuition fees, anyone can go and you can't (really) fail.
Meh, I don't think it's that great. They practically have 100% death rate before graduation.

OT: Aberystwyth University doing a Software Engineering degree.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
AngloDoom said:
Still deciding on a university for 2013. I'm torn between Staffordshire, Portsmouth, and Southampton for an Adult Nursing degree..simply because they're high up on the league tables and I don't know how else to decide. Hopefully open days (work permitting) and some prospectuseseses will narrow down my choices.

Anyone happy to have any experience of any of the three above? I'd like to know more about ze Universities.
I can't comment on the course but Staffordshire University is a nice place, the lecturers will help you as much as possible provided you turn up to there lessons and actually listen/try. My only real complaint is sometimes they can be a bit unorganized, sometimes you'll get emails with dates for a day after you get the email, other than that i can't complain really.

And yeah in case the rest didn't figure out i attend Staffordshire University studying Computing Science (Starting my final year this year).

ArnRand

Mar 29, 2012
Midgeamoo said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Just saw your title thingy and felt the immediate urge to link:
Game grumps is actually ruining all attempts of getting anything done within a 5m radius of my computer. 7 AYSSEES.

OT:
I'm heading out to start at Cambridge (Studying physical sciences) in a couple of weeks time. I'm really looking forward to it but I'm nervous as FEWK. I've also been told by my friends that if I get rid of my scummy Grimsby accent for an upper class one they'll stab my vocal chords out of my throat.

Zantos said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Well that depends what you want to do.

As a shopping destination, it's no better than any other city.

Got a few museums that are worth visiting though, like The Galleries of Justice (I actually volunteered there) and Nottingham Castle.
You missed out getting shot. Hehe, Shottingham.

OT: Hoping to go spend another 4 years ripping shit up at Leeds University! Ripping it up theoretical physics style, this time with a bit of comp and lab in the mix. Boo-ya!
Were you at any of the open/applicants days for Leeds physics? Theoretical physics was one of my UCAS choices there, might have actually seen/talked to you if so xD
Yo if you don't mind, can I ask you a few questions? (I want to get on the same course as you, and am applying in a few days.)

1. What AS marks did you get? (percentages)
2. What was the interview like?
3. What did you do on your personal statement (roughly)
4. What other unis did you apply for?

Thanks.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
I live in Nottingham :D
If I go there, I will find you :]
Actually, I'm going to the open day this Saturday ;;;;))))

Not going to university til September next year and I still have a short while to make my choices, but my shortlist right now, of which I'll pick 5, is Cambridge, Durham, Bristol, Sheffield, Exeter and Nottingham. Basically, one has to go.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
ArnRand said:
Yo if you don't mind, can I ask you a few questions? (I want to get on the same course as you, and am applying in a few days.)

1. What AS marks did you get? (percentages)
2. What was the interview like?
3. What did you do on your personal statement (roughly)
4. What other unis did you apply for?

Thanks.
Sure thing! A few of my module scores are off the top of my head but they'll be in the right area.

1.These are all marks that I got after my first year of college, I can post my second year results if you need them at all later.

A in AS maths and A* in A level maths (did all of A2 maths in my 1st year):
C1-100% C2-98% C3-95% C4-100% D1-95% S1-95%

A in AS Physics:
PH01-110(92%) PH02-118(98%) PH03-58(97%)

A in AS Chemistry:
F321-80(89%) F322-123(82%) F323-45(75%)

Notice that my Chemistry was a lot weaker than my Physics/Maths scores, when I got my offer my offer wasn't just for A*AA out of any of them, it specified an A* in chemistry and then AA in Physics/Further Maths. So my offer was essentially A*Maths A*Chem APhysics AFurther Maths. They did this because they knew it would challenge me most. So my advice here would be to try stay well rounded when it comes to your scores, because if there isn't much difference between them, they'd probably just give you a standard A*AA offer and not try to make you focus on your weaker subject.

2. The interview was actually the easiest part of getting in I'd say, although the run up to and the start of the interview is as terrifying as they make out, if you keep your cool things really do go smoothly.
My interview basically went:
Introduction --> Simple maths questions --> a bit harder maths questions --> Physics problems --> Any questions? --> Done.
30 minutes really does blaze by in those sort of situations, the only advice I can give is keep your head on, because chances are if you've got the interview, you're going to be able to answer all of their questions to a pretty good standard if you just stay calm.

Edit: Keep in mind this was my interview at Churchill College, they could differ quite a bit throughout other colleges.

3. I really can't remember much about my personal statement, though I think I've got it saved on my PC somewhere, I could send you the whole of it in a PM later if you think that would help. Also, I really advise you to seek help from your college/school with your personal statement, specifically the people that have been handling the university application process for a number of years, because they really know how personal statements should look.

4. I applied for:
Durham - Theoretical Physics
Manchester - Theoretical Physics
Leeds - Theoretical Physics
Leeds - Chemistry

If you need anything else just ask, I know how much of a pain UCAS and uni applications can be, just get all the help you can with it for the next few months, I know that really helped me out.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
In the first weeks of my senior year here at Northern Illinois University. Studying Computer Aided Drafting and Design. Ton of fun but I took all of the classes that directly dealt with the CAD programs and now I have to sit through lecture after lecture of information.

ArnRand

Mar 29, 2012
Midgeamoo said:
Thanks for all the info/help. My grades are more consistent than yours, but your highest are better than my highest...I shouldn't get bogged down in details like that, of course. Anyway, it would be great if you could send your personal statement to me, if it's not too much trouble. I've basically finished mine, so don't feel it's imperative for you to send it to me.

Well, congrats on getting in, and maybe I'll join you in a years time!

eggy32

Nov 19, 2009
I'll be attending The University of Ulster in Coleraine to do Spanish and French. I doubt I'll see many other escapists there though.

BOOM headshot65

Jul 7, 2011
I am currently going to Kansas State University. Its cheap ($6,000 tuition/year) while still consistantly ranking in the top 150 national colleges academically and having an absolutely legendary football coach sportswise. It is also one of the only colleges in the nation that still teaches military history (my minor).

Xen0n

Sep 21, 2011
I have just started studying at Lund University, more specifically at the Faculty of Engineering(LTH, Lunds Tekniska Högskola). I'm attending a five-year program in chemical engineering, at the end of which I will have Master of Science in Engineering, Chemical engineering.

rhyno435

Apr 24, 2009
geK0 said:
I'm in Durham College right now, but I plan to do a transfer course for UOIT (University of Ontario Institute of Technology) after this year. It's a better way to go because I end up with both a college degree and a university diploma for less than I would have paid if I started in university.
An Escapist in Durham! Huzzah! I'm going to UOIT now. Forensic Science, second year. Good school, I like it.

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
Alucard 11189 said:
BlueberryMUNCH said:
Hi guys, been a while since I've made a thread haha. How are you all?

SO, I'm not sure how things are outside of the UK, but University terms start very soon!
I'm just curious as to what University you guys are going to and what you're studying.

Personally, I'm headed up to the University of Nottingham to study Classical Civilization. Wheeey.

So whatabout you guys? Anyone else as nervous/excited as I am? Haha.
[small]p.s, anyone else go Nottingham? :eek:.[/small].

Wishing all you other freshers the best of luck, and have fun!
I graduated in July 2011 from the University of Nottingham with a BSc (Hons) degree in Biochemistry and biological chemistry and 4 months after graduation I found a job in Leeds as a biochemist. I loved Nottingham, the university campus is amazing and I am sure you will love it. Best of luck in your studies and I hope you enjoy uni as much as I did :)
Cheers mate. That's one of the main reasons why I chose the place; the campus is gorgeous<3.
I -think- there's a new humanities building opening this year, so that's awesome, too^^;;.
But yeah thanks- it's encouraging to hear first hand praise:].