So Escapists, where do YOU get your music from?

niceguy191

Mar 11, 2010
I tend to buy the CD if I can find it, and if not I buy the MP3s from HMV.com (no stupid DRM like iTunes and it's legit)

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Itunes, or CD if I really like all the songs on it.
If it's not on Itunes or CD, I just convert a youtube video of it to MP3.

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
I use RealPlayer to download music off of YouTube, then convert it to iTunes. Simple, fast, free, and legal.

EcstaticObsessive

Jun 12, 2011
Youtube, CDs, BeeMP3 or if I find an album I like, I'll get it free off Mediafire.

I'll buy CDs if I like the band (Even though they hardly reap any profit from it) and I'll buy merchandise to make up for the sound I'm stealing.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Last.fm, I don't have money for music and don't often feel the need for it while out and about.

M920CAIN

May 24, 2011
From the internet! (youtube downloads, tor... downloads, other downloads, more downloads, frequent downloads, etc)...

NightmareWarden

Jul 2, 2011
I rarely listened to music in the past and right now I only listen to music through videos on youtube, such as AMVs and a few funny music videos.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I don't get it from anywhere. I listen to it on youtube rarely and sometimes on the radio but I mostly listen to sports radio. I really don't listen to music anymore.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I listen to all my music on Spotify, which I pay £5 a month for.

Then if I decide I like that Album/ Song enough I will buy the CD for use on my iPod.

arealperson

Oct 1, 2009
CDs from YC, Amazon, eBay, HMV or the drug store. I'll definitely use iTunes, as the music I like on the radio tends to have too many filler tracks on their releases or are just generally not to my taste. iTunes mostly sells DRM-free music, and there are easy work arounds if you have gotten some that were otherwise.

To stream music I use YouTube occasionally (don't prefer it due to slow speed and weak playlist features), I used to use imeem until MySpace bought it, I still use MySpace if an artist hosts their music there, but GrooveShark mostly; FineTune if I'm seeking something similar: iLike, (some 'garage' site the name of which is slipping my mind), PureVolume, and Indie Vision Music for new music, and Facedown, Fuel and Tooth & Nail for samplers.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I actually buy CD's.....

except somtimes I cant find what Im looking for...yet I cant bring myself to download stuff because I really wnt the CD

while CD's can be hit or miss, I like "discovering" stuff on CD's

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Record stores around the city. Also order them from some independent labels that are run from peoples' garages. Keeps my shelves full, my ears happy and the scene alive.

EDIT: The unwarranted self-importance is also nice.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
Originally I went out and got my music from CDs and cassettes like everyone else. Once the internet came around, I would occasionally import game soundtracks (cause it's one of my favourite genres) or download stuff like SPC files ripped from the games.

Then I found Napster when it first came out and it was my original taste of truly "free" music in the sense I could reasonably look for whatever song I wanted. Of course, since I typically dislike modern music I would find stuff I hadn't been able to obtain legally, like the Transformers OST (animated movie ftw) or some orchestrated versions of game songs that I'd never even known existed. I had dialup back then so I didn't really get much.

Later it was largely Kazaa and then Limewire cause I might hear a single song on the radio I liked and stuff like itunes and whatnot didn't exist yet. But I still remained faithful to the one or two artists I genuinely loved, such as Weird Al and continued to buy their CDs cause I knew I'd enjoy everything on it.. unlike most CDs today.

To be honest, much like the radio, if I hadn't heard some stuff free via Kazaa and the other programs I might never have gone out and bought some of the CDs I have in the last 10 years. I could've easily downloaded the Protomen's music after sampling the first 2 tracks free as they offered, but I thought it was awesome and bought the CDs as they came out.

These days, I don't really listen to anything but the music I'd accumulated (almost exclusively video game music, 80's music, classical, and disco). It's become so expensive to get the music I like because it either 1) doesn't exist in America and 2) is ungodsly rare.

If I could buy the actual soundtracks/scores for the Godzilla movies, for example, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Instead, I enjoy the delicious compilation albums I bought years ago and occasionally seem online to see if they exist anywhere (haven't found them yet).

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Normally from my local JB-Hifi. They have an awesome selection of music that most record shops don't get have. If its a new band I haven't listened to before I usually check them out on YouTube or torrent a few albums. If I like them I go buy the album I want. If I don't like them then I know I have never wasted money on something I don't like.

Zarthek

Apr 12, 2009
Either Bandcamp or Itunes, lean towards iTunes if the music is available but as I listen to less-mainstream music (Game soundtracks, Homestuck music) It isn't always there.