So...eSults is (trying to be) a thing...

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Until 3 posts in I thought this said "eSuits", wondering what the point of it was. I guess eSults is... less stupid than a digital suit for the gentleman browser but not by much.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
I love the Nostalgia Critic but these are incredibly awkward and cringe worthy, and seem more like forum suicide devices than forum weaponry. Its kind of depressing that, judging from the feedback on the videos, people seem to be loving these.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Seems to me like his pageviews are dropping, and he figures getting people to post his face and links all over forums and facebook will save him. It won't, they suck, time to move on.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
DasDestroyer said:
Oh, eSults! From the moment I saw the thread title to the point he actually said it I thought it was eSluts, and I couldn't quite see why Doug was the one who started it...
It was a weird moment, but I was with you X3.

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
OH!
Video Insults, eSults, I get it now...

...coming into this thread, I was expecting some sort of newfangled Internet Bath Salts...
... I'd be lying if I said I'm not a bit disappointed...
[sub]Not that I'm into that kinda thing or anything...[/sub]
[sub][sub]... faces aren't really my thing, but... you know..[/sub][/sub]

But yeah, it's a pretty dumb idea... There are plenty of reaction videos out that that serve their general purpose better than a video of a direct reaction to a specific type of prick.
[sub][sub]God I love Chang...[/sub][/sub]

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Is he seriously trying to monetize forum weapons? I know Demo Reel was a disaster and he only keeps those two failure actors around because he can't admit he fucked up, but this is really stretching it for Doug. Honest to god, the only reason I go to the site now is for Linkara and Sage. Used to be Welshy too, but the guy is all but done for personal reasons.

darkstarangel

Jun 27, 2008
DasDestroyer said:
Oh, eSults! From the moment I saw the thread title to the point he actually said it I thought it was eSluts, and I couldn't quite see why Doug was the one who started it...
haha I thought it said eSluts too.

I think memes are more effective than actual videos but Doug should just use clips of his reactions from previous videos, as already shown, rather than have taylor made insults, they're more effective.
In saying that, the cinema snob should do his own versions of short clips. That crystal-pepsi tainted voice of his would be perfect for short smart-arse comments & fake flirting.

SciMal

Dec 10, 2011
Neverhoodian said:
So, how about it? Are eSults really the wave of the future for internet snarkery, or is this a failed experiment in trying to stay relevant?
Failed experiment. The entire idea behind a trend or meme for internet usage is that the original content was never intended to be used as-such. It's a find that encapsulates the message the user wants when taken out of context. That said... Experiments are often failures until you find one that works, but...

TGWTG is on the down slope for content.

There are too many contributors overlapping their areas, too many "people reviewing stuff" instead of being "characters", and too many contributors that are either absent 90% of the time or suck.

Aside from Linkara and NC, I don't watch anything off the site. Either I'll go to the individual Blip pages, or I'm completely disinterested.

You either Educate or Entertain as an internet celebrity... Spoony is a great Entertainer, Linkara is a great Educator, and most of the people on TGWTG just repeat what's on the bloody screen without doing either.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
So...they're forum reaction videos without the charm?

I'll pass.

Seriously, Doug, if you keep trying to force trends on the Internet like this, people are going to forget all the good stuff from Nostalgia Critic, and even that show is getting bogged down by the constant cameos, forced catchphrases, and unnecessary subplots getting in the way of the review itself.

Take a look at RedLetterMedia for example. They know jack shit about "Internet culture", so they don't try to make everything a fucking meme and instead focus on making their opinions valid and humorous at the same time. You know, because that's their domain, as it was yours not too long ago.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
We deserve this. We have brought this all unto ourselves. This frightening bubos is just an unavoidable side effect of the condition of the machine we inhabit. This vile cyst is only the more revolting for the fact that it is visible, in broad day. But peel back the skin, the smart, slick paneling of this machine, and its true, ashen face will be revealed, so unclean, so strange, so petrifying in its wild hideousness that the memory of such a sight will remain branded upon the retinas of the unfortunate observers.

Forever.

Along with everything else. Every other gift received from this horrible machine of pus.

#hysterical twat.

(I do love being unabashedly melodramatic at random. :3 )

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I'm not really contributing to the topic but I find it entertaining how many thread views this thread has compared to comments because most people thought the title was supposed to say eSluts.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Dr. Cakey said:
I dislike the Nostalgia Critic. This makes me intelligent. Please notice me.
Don't worry Dr. Cakemeister. I still notice you, if only for your kirby avatar.

OT: I still go to TGWTG frequenty, but it's mostly just for Anime Abandon, animania, read right to left, rap critic, and blistered thumbs. I liked NC, but never was super into him.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
Considering how people already like to link up movie and tv clips to use as retorts, these eSults just come off as completely unnecessary. I dunno if I'd say TGWTG is scraping the bottom of the barrel, but Doug and Co. are reaching here.

The Lyre

Jul 2, 2008
I don't think I've ever once felt that I needed someone else to prepare my insults for me, ahead of time, to use instead of my own perfectly serviceable mouth-words.

That said, is this really that strange? I awkwardly crowbar memes of all kinds into my online conversations all the time - and even 'lol' is just someone else's way of succinctly saying "I found that amusing, friend." Isn't this basically the live action equivalent of 'cool story, bro'?

Back when MSN was still a thing, people in my teenaged circles would use MSN Plus, I think it was called, that came with this feature that let you play pre-recorded sounds - mostly annoying crap, or quotes ripped out of films. We used it all the time, spamming it at each other in pre-recorded sound wars.

So whilst it's a a bit too forced for my liking, I can see the logic here - it's a potential next step in meme culture.

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
Well, I stopped watching Nostalgia Critic a while before the last crossover, so I'm not entirely sure if it's picked up at all, but I don't really get why he's think his pre-canned responses would be better than the ones the fans pick out. I mean, if the fans start using it, then they liked it, but if you try to force it, it's almost certainly not going to work.

Then again, I seem to recall he had a bit of a fixation on forcing memes for some reason. I suppose nobody ever explained how it works to him.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Dr. Cakey said:
Should've thought of this earlier.

Dear This Topic,

What an amazing demonstration of why this doesn't work. I'm not going to click and watch that because I know that it only exists to insult me (or anyone the poster considers a whiner). What motivation would I have to open a video like that? And what motivation would a bystander have to open it when they see the title for it and instantly know what the poster wants to convey? It misses the entire point of forum weaponry.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009

The Nostalgia Critic wants to be my source of youtube responses? I have an entire playlist devoted to that. I pass.