So, Facebook just bought the Oculus Rift

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
http://kotaku.com/facebook-buys-oculus-rift-for-2-billion-1551487939

2 Billion dollars and Oculus is now under the control of the Facebook people. Yeah, not sure about that.. seems particularly bad considering Oculus' real big push into the public space was via crowdfunding through Kickstarter.

Should be real interesting to see what happens next, even if Zuckerberg is touting focused gaming experiences as still being at least the initial thrust of the machine.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Here we go again with corporations monopolizing everything. History repeats itself. I probably also can't think of a worse company to buy the Oculus Rift than Failbook. The thought of future games being brought down to the same level of garbage as social media is a sad one indeed. I don't see any other reason why Zuckerberg would spent 2 billion dollars for Oculus other than to push it onto the users of his existing services.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Welp, RIP Oculus rift.

It's kind of hilarious that John Carmack now works for Facebook technically.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Well, not sure about this, don't like Facebook much and what are they trying to achieve here? A VR Facebook like some kind of matrix, or just VR farmville?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
cloroxbb said:
Weaver said:
Welp, RIP Oculus rift.

Yeah RIP to a product that now has virtually unlimited funding to do what it needs to do to release a Consumer Version...
Just like when all those game studios get bought up by EA.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
I don't think Zuckerberg is buying the Rift to make more Facebook money, I think he is buying it to diversify and make more money period. I am cautiously optimistic that hey will have a good quality consumer model available soon, not sure what kind of time frame to expect though.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
cloroxbb said:
Weaver said:
cloroxbb said:
Weaver said:
Welp, RIP Oculus rift.

Yeah RIP to a product that now has virtually unlimited funding to do what it needs to do to release a Consumer Version...
I don't think its the same... I have my doubts as well about Facebook owning Oculus, but its too early to write off the Rift IMO.

All I see is negativity from this announcement. Im offering a more optimistic viewpoint.
Well with quotes like:
?Oculus has the chance to create the most social platform ever, and change the way we work, play and communicate.?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/26/technology/facebook-to-buy-oculus-vr-maker-of-virtual-reality-headset.html?_r=0

I'm not really sure what there is to remain optimistic about.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
cloroxbb said:
Weaver said:
cloroxbb said:
Weaver said:
Welp, RIP Oculus rift.

I don't think its the same... I have my doubts as well about Facebook owning Oculus, but its too early to write off the Rift IMO.

All I see is negativity from this announcement. Im offering a more optimistic viewpoint.
I'm with you, bub. I can't tell you why, because I don't know, but I'm cautiously optimistic about this as well. I just can't explain it.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
I dont think this will end well maybe its a good thing but I dont think it will turn out that way then again I am still pessimistic on the whole VR thing anyway I have yet to see anything solid despite how long its been touted as revolutionary.

I bet the people who got the money are laughing all the way to the bank though 2 billion dollars holy hell man they are made they dont need the Oculus rift anymore.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
BUT GUYS, virtual reality Farmville!

Can't imagine what else they want to do with it, though. Well, I mean in terms of personal use. obviously they want to sell the technology and that.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/notch/status/448586381565390848

Notch apparently isn't too happy about this Facebook deal. =/

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Treeinthewoods said:
I don't think Zuckerberg is buying the Rift to make more Facebook money, I think he is buying it to diversify and make more money period. I am cautiously optimistic that hey will have a good quality consumer model available soon, not sure what kind of time frame to expect though.
I was wondering about that myself.

I know that companies have done that before, such as Vivendi, and it's not something new. I think it just sounds weird that Facebook bought Oculus VR.

That said, I really hope that Zuckerberg just lets Oculus do its thing and not meddle too much. I don't really know what kind of deal they have established, but I'm gonna take a 'wait and see' approach to this whole thing.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
The people who supported the Oculus Rift as a Kickstarter project must feel pretty ripped-off as well. I doubt anyone would have supported this project if they knew it would be sold to Zuckerberg at the first possible opportunity. The 'vision' of the Oculus Rift is now the vision of Failbook(just think about that).

Well atleast there is still the upcoming Playstation VR and the likes. Though to be honest I've never been the biggest fan of VR to begin with. Like with 3D its a technology that gets hyped on and off since the early nineties and never really goes anywhere. Definitely not something that will be embraced by the mainstream like smartphones or social media. If its not integrated into the daily lives of people than most will simply ignore it. The only thing Oculus Rift has done with this move is alienate the few supporters it had.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
And i quote:

"Mobile is the platform of today, and now we're also getting ready for the platforms of tomorrow," Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg says. "Oculus has the chance to create the most social platform ever, and change the way we work, play and communicate."

Whelp, there goes all my interest in this device.