So...Final Fantasy 15.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Does it suck? Is it Final Fantasy 13 all over again? I see lots of positive reception from them video game sites like IGN and Gamespot, but those are the same guys that gave 13 good coverage. So I am asking anyone who has the game now and played it?

Honestly the only thing interest me is the fact that apperently according to an article from GameRant 2 years, The Japanese Console Games Industry's future is now entirely dependent on the success of Final Fantasy 15.

https://gamerant.com/final-fantasy-15-end-console-gaming-japan/

Which is quite the claim.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
I put about six solid hours in last night after work. So far, I'm impressed. Not necessarily with the story... Not to say that the story is bad, I just haven't bothered to advance it. I'm just having a total blast cruising around with my bros and having adventures. The combat is somewhat confusing at first, but the more I engage in combat, the more nuanced and exciting it becomes. I probably shouldn't have skipped the tutorial.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
Cycloptomese said:
I put about six solid hours in last night after work. So far, I'm impressed. Not necessarily with the story... Not to say that the story is bad, I just haven't bothered to advance it. I'm just having a total blast cruising around with my bros and having adventures. The combat is somewhat confusing at first, but the more I engage in combat, the more nuanced and exciting it becomes. I probably shouldn't have skipped the tutorial.
Ditto, except I didn't skip the tutorial. So far I am really enjoying the gameplay and the character's interactions. I'm about 8 hours in and I've only progressed the story a little bit(still on chapter 1). But I've been far too busy treasure/monster hunting to care.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
It is imposible to judge a Final Fantasy game on original reception. All the opinions on the web during the first few days are going to be "its the greatest game of the generation" or "its trash because it is a JRPG/not VII/VIII/X/XII/whatever"...

Opinions on FF entries tend to settle after a few weeks, and even then they are divisive as shit. For example, I could tell you that my favorite is X and I think XII is garbage, and someone here will surely "feel forced to correct me".

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
hermes said:
It is imposible to judge a Final Fantasy game on original reception. All the opinions on the web during the first few days are going to be "its the greatest game of the generation" or "its trash because it is a JRPG/not VII/VIII/X/XII/whatever"...

Opinions on FF entries tend to settle after a few weeks, and even then they are divisive as shit. For example, I could tell you that my favorite is X and I think XII is garbage, and someone here will surely "feel forced to correct me".
I don't know wasn't audiance reception of FF 13 negative at the start?

And remember there are games where its bad reception is immidiete "Looks at No Man's Sky, Mass Effect 3 (even though I liked that game)"

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
I'm about 10 hours in and still on chapter 1, so it seems pretty good. Most of the problems I have are little annoying things here and there, like unskippable repeated dialogue and other aspects like having to run back and forth down that long pier at Galdin Quay. Also the squad mate AI could be a bit better. When Iron Giants do that blackhole style attack all of my party members just stand there and take it instead of running away to avoid it.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Samtemdo8 said:
Does it suck? Is it Final Fantasy 13 all over again?
All other opinions aside, I can say with absolute certainty that it's NOT Final Fantasy 13 all over again. The biggest criticism of FF13 was that it was too linear, this is not the case in 15. The fields are a lot more open, the maps look like something out of Google Earth.

Does it suck? I don't personally think so, it's not perfect but the combat is decently fun, there's a good amount of exploration to be had, some of the enemies (especially at night) are frightening, the characters seem to have their own personalities (though I haven't played enough to determine whether I will eventually hate them or not) and there are a lot of little nostalgia nods such as character sprites showing who can equip what weapons in the shop menus.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:

And remember there are games where its bad reception is immidiete "Looks at No Man's Sky, Mass Effect 3 (even though I liked that game)"
Yeah audience reception was pretty bad, partly cause the map were leaked earlier and everyone noticed they were were super linear. Critic reception was overwhelmingly positive...somehow.

Just a few hour in for the moment but I'll mirror everyone else, the character interactions are nice but the story is nothing to write home about and it apparently is going to get worse ("Oh no the evil empire is about to destroy the world, let's go fishing or something") but the combat is pretty fluid. There's not a lot of gameplay customization offered for your character so that's a bit disappointing.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
What alinates me from this game is that fact that it still takes place in the Final Fantasy 13 universe the "Fabula Nova Crystalis" franchise of Final Fantasy.

And I hate anything to do with that universe.

I am a guy that prefer the days when Final Fantasy was FANTASY as in like this:

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
hermes said:

True that. I never could get into X because it seemed so linear, but somehow I fell in love with XIII... I'm filled with all kinds of these types of personality conflicts.

I like the way Final Fantasy has been going for the last several mainline entries. They seem to completely overhaul the game mechanics while still keeping around the necessary "Final Fantasyisms".

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Samtemdo8 said:
What alinates me from this game is that fact that it still takes place in the Final Fantasy 13 universe the "Fabula Nova Crystalis" franchise of Final Fantasy.

The connection is not readily apparent, in fact, I needed to Google it just now to see if they hadn't scrapped that concept all together. The game aesthetic has a lot more modern day type things in it. Car models, gas stations, it starts out feeling like Earth but if the FF series opened a rift and invaded it leaving monsters and questionable fashion trends all over the place.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Most people haven't gotten far enough into the game to determine if minor annoyances turn into major annoyances and so most reviews will be positive.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
Can't say for myself as I haven't gotten to play it yet. My bro's been hogging the system since he got it though and he's enjoying himself. Though I'll admit he did also enjoy FF13 and it's sequels. (never played them myself so no comment there) So far his only complaints seem to be the frequency of imperial patrol ships dropping soldiers on his head, (seems to happen a lot in the area where he is atm), and that traveling at night is annoying at low level because that's when the demons come out. Flans and Bombs he can deal with, though they are pretty tough. Iron Giants on the other hand are completely out of his weight class (he's lvl 12, they're around lvl 30) and they like to spawn in the middle of the road. You can't just drive past them either cuz it forces you out of the car and into combat mode, so you have to run from the fight and get to a safe zone on foot. Which can be a hassle at best.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
hermes said:

Reception of FF 13 when it came out was a weird and mixed beast. Even now, you mostly hear the negative echoes, the game has a reasonably large amount of fans (as may be observed by them generating two sequels off it). It was also coming in off a so-so MMORPG attempt in #11, and FF-12 functionally being a single-player MMORPG, so some folks were quick to give it a pass just for getting back to being a more crafted and defined campaign experience. And while not-nearly at the levels such things cycle around today, there was a brigade defending it just for having a female protagonist, despite that not even being a new thing in the series.

ME3's critcism wasn't immediate either, people had to actually get to the ending, and mostly seemed positive on the wider portion of the game. I could see similarity hitting with FF-15, depending how grindy it gets and how off-the-rails convoluted the plot goes (which was 13's other failing, even being in a genre and series known for convolution)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I've only played about the first 50 minutes or so of the game, and it was at least 10 times better than anything in FF13. That doesn't mean too much, but it does indicate that it isn't FF13 all over again.

It most certainly doesn't fall into the same pit by dropping a shit ton of of vague descriptions and mumbo jumbo on you within the first hour. It seems to ease you in by introducing you to a bunch a guys getting their car fixed.

The combat tutorial isn't that great. I don't know, maybe it will reveal itself more as the game goes on, but from what I gathered the game seemed to want you to get familiar with it before you start the actual game.

As it stands my first impression is definately more positive than negative. I'm quite digging the Americana type setting. Reminds me a bit of Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. One huge fault of current Square is that they make settings that feel way too alien and fantastical to really connect to. With FF15 you get a very familiar setting that's easy to connect to, but with weird and grand fantastical elements interspersed throughout.

Cindy has an annoying accent though.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Samtemdo8 said:
hermes said:

And the FFXIII reception also included "it gets great near the end". The opposite happened in ME3 (very few complaints before reaching the infamous ending). Has enough people finished FFXV yet?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:

Final Fantasy 15 has nothing to do with that mythos anymore.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Ive watched a few videos and while it looks neat, I can't help but feel its uprezed Dragon's Dogma with a car mod.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Silentpony said:
Ive watched a few videos and while it looks neat, I can't help but feel its uprezed Dragon's Dogma with a car mod.
I wish FF15 was an uprezed dragon dogma with a car mod.

Karthesios

Jul 11, 2010
About three hours in (Might be rushing, but I do want to find more sidequests). One of the little things I dug was being able to play tracks from previous FF games while driving. Oddly, Cindy's voice doesn't really annoy me though. Seeing product placement was a bit surprising but not particularly off-putting since it seems mostly implemented in a logical way (Coleman camping gear). This is in spite of the ginormous CUP NOODLES billboard near Hammerhead's service station. Sorry, Squeenix, I eat Maruchan noodles, not Nissin. I think I am going to enjoy this installment, certainly more so than XIII in any case.