So, Google *May Have* Invented Time Crystals

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Wtf are “time crystals” you might ask? Well,

In short, they have the “potential” to increase the feasibility of quantum computing exponentially, even on a conservative scale.

Wtf cares? Well, unless living completely off the grid, this is something that could eventually benefit everyone, from how we use household items, conduct business, travel, take medicine, etc. On the fun end of things it could help make space travel more convenient than what most movies even depict, but probably not in our lifetimes.

I thought of putting this in the Tech thread, but considering how far reaching and revolutionary the effects could be, it’s currently a pretty eventful discovery.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Not gonna lie, I'm relying on technology like this to bail me out when I inevitably ruin my body or something. I'm a pretty young guy, and even then the technological progress I've experienced since I was again is pretty insane. Hopefully I'll still be alive to see what 10, 20, 30, 40 years from now will look like.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Calling these "time crystals" is undoubtedly one of the most disappointingly misleading names for something, ever.

I also feel the urge to respond to this claim with the warning: cold fusion.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
''We demonstrate the characteristic spatiotemporal response of a DTC for generic initial states. Our work employs a time-reversal protocol that discriminates external decoherence from intrinsic thermalization, and leverages quantum typicality to circumvent the exponential cost of densely sampling the eigenspectrum. In addition, we locate the phase transition out of the DTC with an experimental finite-size analysis. These results establish a scalable approach to study non-equilibrium phases of matter on current quantum processors.''

Does that mean they were able to reverse the deflection of elementary particles(quarks, leptons, bosons) in their magnetic field? From what I understand interactions between the particles then produce their own oscilations in the spin necessary to create a time crystal.

But yeah it's fascinating stuff. If Google manages to stabilize quantum computing it would be one of the biggest scientific breakthroughs of our time. Next would be to get it out of the freezer lmao. Probably the time crystal would depend on Bose Einstein condensate or super conductivity to prevent entropy but this would set in the moment the quantum computer is pulled out of the freezer. But it's still a giant leap if they manage to stabilize it under these temperatures.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
That's cool, but forgive me for holding my enthusiasm, on account of Google generally being a bigger disappointment than Mount Disappointment.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Off-topic, but it reminds me of this guy who was applying for a a network engineer job in my lab. We use atomic clocks for Time, phase and frequency accuracy between devices. Think like a rubidium clock, PTP etc. Anyway we asked this guy like

"Ok tell us about the sort of problems you have experienced troubleshooting in your lab"
"well...sometimes the time crystals take a long time to warm up"
"umm... the what?"
"The symantec time crystals"

We just sort of glazed over and moved on to something else, it actually got even crazier after that. It wasnt until a day or two later It occured to me he was talking about the symmetricom TC1000 "Time creator" clock.

Anyhoo, thats been the running joke ever since, when people ask for status just tell'm youre waiting on the "Time Crystals to warm up".

Last edited:

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
The most important question is, of course, what's the hash rate of time crystals for mining Ethereum?

Seriously though, if true, this is incredible.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
''We demonstrate the characteristic spatiotemporal response of a DTC for generic initial states. Our work employs a time-reversal protocol that discriminates external decoherence from intrinsic thermalization, and leverages quantum typicality to circumvent the exponential cost of densely sampling the eigenspectrum. In addition, we locate the phase transition out of the DTC with an experimental finite-size analysis. These results establish a scalable approach to study non-equilibrium phases of matter on current quantum processors.''
I didn't read the article so I didn't see that.

However, upon seeing it, are we sure that what Google invented wasn't in fact an algorithm to autowrite bogus physics texts?

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
I didn't read the article so I didn't see that.

However, upon seeing it, are we sure that what Google invented wasn't in fact an algorithm to autowrite bogus physics texts?
We trained it to write text that looks convincing, and we have to admit that the results look convincing!

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
“We may have found a way to make more efficient quantum CPUs” is the less absurd way of saying this. Generally not a good thing given that vast parts of our society operate under the assumption you cannot do things quantum CPUs can do. There’s also constantly weird innovations in the field going on that sound identical to this if you choose to frame them that way.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
So what can I do with this?

Give me a video gaming logic reason

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA

Quantum computers are really good at brute force decryption. As of yet, that’s basically their one advantage. You could maybe use it to do wacky stuff to a multiplayer server as a result.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

I dont think it does much currently because the rest of technology hasn't caught up. Give an example, my dad just spent a stupid amount of money on a TV, a really nice, really BIG TV. An 8K TV, that can show 8K broadcasts and picture. And nothing is in 8K yet and won't be for years, but fuck it its new and expensive, therefore good.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I dont think it does much currently because the rest of technology hasn't caught up. Give an example, my dad just spent a stupid amount of money on a TV, a really nice, really BIG TV. An 8K TV, that can show 8K broadcasts and picture. And nothing is in 8K yet and won't be for years, but fuck it its new and expensive, therefore good.
nVidia and AMD will be itching to sell you a brand new spanking $52,000 GPU which can run the latest games in 4k at 2000 fps.

Then just wait for the wanker who tells you he needs that 2000fps, because he thinks the 160fps (that's already more than twice as fast as his eye can see) gives him an annoying flicker.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Then just wait for the wanker who tells you he needs that 2000fps, because he thinks the 160fps (that's already more than twice as fast as his eye can see) gives him an annoying flicker.
I always thought all that talk was just meme bullshit. Like the whole "Glorious PC master-race" thing. It was ironic, Yahtzee was making fun of them, not supporting/promoting them. People don't actually see a flicker at 200000fps, they're making fun of those that claim to, right?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Is that a bigger or smaller disappointment than Marble Arch Mound?
Had to look up what that was. In terms of the literal size of the disappointment, the 1800m high actual mountain obviously wins. Tho it's disappointing because it's not the tallest in the area. It's not ugly, you don't have to pay to climb it, and the view will no doubt be way better because the view is not London.

The tax-funded dirtpile "wins"