So Halo 4 is actually looking pretty damn good

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
It's cool that they're expanding on the universe. I'm still ambivalent about re-using master chief though. It just seems.... desperate. Like Microsoft thinks they can't make a good Halo game without him.

Narcogen

Rampant.
Jul 26, 2006
Phlakes said:
No, really. I always keep an open mind about franchises, and while probably a majority of internet users constantly talk about how series should just die already, I'm starting to warm up to the new Halo trilogy. First, watch this-

Pay attention to the music. You see (or hear, I guess) how it's almost completely different, but it still has hints of the classic Halo feel? And also getting rid of the almost cartoony style from 1-3 and becoming a lot darker, in a good way? Yeah, if the whole game follows that same principle, then to me, the new trilogy would be completely justified.
That music was added by IGN. It wasn't created by 343 Industries, and won't be in Halo 4. This was mentioned in the Halo 4 Universe panel at PAX.

I would also suggest that there is no such thing as "darker, in a good way". There already exists on the market a plethora of pretentiously "dark and gritty" games that confuse being serious with being monochromatic. I like some of these games as well, but one of the things that has always set Halo apart was being unafraid to use bold colors in portraying what is, after all, a world of futuristic fantasy. A Halo game much darker than Reach wouldn't interest me, personally.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
I think it looks good, and I bet I will have fun playing this one when I eventually buy it. I am one of those gamers who love most games and I am easily pleased.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Omega 380 said:
It looks nice and finally no flood. I'm looking forward to see how the Forerunners will be like, their weapons, etc. I kind of want them to make it a little like ODST because i liked that felling of loneliness that you had and that sometimes it would be wiser to just sneak past the enemies instead of fighting, but i'm sure that there can't be only that so i hope that at least the beginning has some of it.

And form what i remember the Forerunners consider humanity their 'sons' so i think they won't be the enemies or it will be a small part of them that will deem Chief and, consequently humanity, a failure and will try to kill everybody.

I would like to see improvements on the, hum, structural side(at least i think it is the structural side), i wound't mind if it was an open world kind of shooter(like ODST), and they need to make interesting places to go, sure the concept art looks nice but worth nothing if we just get a glimpse of the buildings them just wander through small corridors all the time.
Forerunners and human already fought one war, so it's possible that the would fight again, however I find this to be more likely

SwishiestB0g said:
In a couple of books they mention Precursors, the species before the Forerunners, might be them.

Gyrohelix

Aug 3, 2011
Paul Palumbo said:
Omega 380 said:
ultrachicken said:
Omega 380 said:
...sure the concept art looks nice but wort nothing if we just get a glimpse of the buildings...
Typo or incredibly lame pun?

OT: I think the concept art is looking pretty nice. There's something alluring yet terrifying about that giant glowing eyeball, and same goes for plenty of the structures. I think that if the series stays colorful and vibrant, yet adopts a more serious tone (eg. Reach), the new trilogy could be fantastic.
Just a typo, i corrected it.
Edit: I didn't saw a pun there, could say what pun it was?
Meme for one of the things the elites said in Halo:CE.
It's not a meme! It's a Sangheili battlecry!

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Interesting looking.

Mainly because from what I've seen, it's only going to be Master Chief. This means no more human guns, no more human ships.

Hell, they could pull of something interesting.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Well, it certainly looks interesting. Though it does raise questions over what enemy you will be fighting and even what kind of game it will be. While I'm still kind of 'on the fence' in regards to this whole thing, given that I thought Halo 3 was kind of a perfectly well rounded ending to it all... if only for nostalgia's sake, I'm ready to give this a chance.

That said, I do still have a few concerns but if worse comes to worse I can just deny that this second trilogy ever happened. But in the meantime I guess I have to wait and see.

Theron Julius

Nov 30, 2009
We'll see how this plays out. I may be a halo fan, but I'm still a bit skeptical about this. I'll reserve any real opinion for when gameplay videos are shown.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
I really hope Halo goes back to the roots, Halo 1 and 2 were the best online shooters I ever played, period.

Reach on the other hand? With those fucking armor abilities? And that shitty community?

GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE
I just recently started playing it and I hate armor lock more than Hitler. Seriously, that thing sucks.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I can't believe the Flood are getting so much disdain.

Once they added headshots to the Flood models they were just as fun to fight as the Covies from where I stand. Admittedly there will always be that bad memory most people get from the Library (Although I didn't hate that level nearly as much as the average Halo player seems to). And Halo 2 did the Flood no favors by forcing the Arbiter to fight the dark Flood infested areas without the aid of a lamp on his armor like the Chief had. But I still think they were a good alternate enemy for the storyline and gameplay to keep things fresh and interesting. Plus lets face it, the original game's first Flood appearance is still one of my most fondly remembered "Holy Shit" gaming moments.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Narcogen said:
That music was added by IGN. It wasn't created by 343 Industries, and won't be in Halo 4. This was mentioned in the Halo 4 Universe panel at PAX.

I would also suggest that there is no such thing as "darker, in a good way". There already exists on the market a plethora of pretentiously "dark and gritty" games that confuse being serious with being monochromatic. I like some of these games as well, but one of the things that has always set Halo apart was being unafraid to use bold colors in portraying what is, after all, a world of futuristic fantasy. A Halo game much darker than Reach wouldn't interest me, personally.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO [http://nooooooooooooooo.com/]OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgI2ZQVyrBo]OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO [http://www.mike2.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Noooooooooo_500x500.jpg]!

That would've been perfect... Still, I hope 343 makes those kinds of changes. They basically need to.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Omega 380 said:
ultrachicken said:
Omega 380 said:
...sure the concept art looks nice but wort nothing if we just get a glimpse of the buildings...
Typo or incredibly lame pun?

OT: I think the concept art is looking pretty nice. There's something alluring yet terrifying about that giant glowing eyeball, and same goes for plenty of the structures. I think that if the series stays colorful and vibrant, yet adopts a more serious tone (eg. Reach), the new trilogy could be fantastic.
Just a typo, i corrected it.
Edit: I didn't saw a pun there, could say what pun it was?
cows go moo

and elites go wort (at least in the first Halo)

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Nice art, but that music just put me off.

I can handle art change, but without Martin this will feel weird.

Agarth

Jul 14, 2009
This is just a bunch of concept art of buildings and music, and your already saying this is going to be good? I just.... Wow... That is just ridiculous. It's not saying shit about the gameplay or anything and your saying it's going to be more visually realistic than the others? It was just concept art after the burning ship. And why is a gritty realistic look better than a slightly cartoony one? Look at Team Fortress 2 and then imagine if it was running on a more "realistic" graphic setting. That would not be a positive step. It would be extremely depressing thing to do.
The simple, cartoony effect of TF2 gave it a sense of charm, personality, and made it stand out when surrounded by CoD clones. I actually liked Halo more than CoD, truth be told. No cover based iron-sight combat, it didn't smear shit all over the screen all of the time and it doesn't do the "BLOODY SCREEN!!! SO REAL!" whenever you get shot. Actually if CoD did did this I would inexplicably like it more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbTtsezso4Q

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
First of all, Halo was there first. It can be a gritty shooter if it damn well wants.

Secondly, Halo is not Halo because it's cartoony. In fact, I think that such vibrant visual stylisation (Halo 2, 3 and ODST, specifically) doesn't match Halo's subject matter, and I loved Reach's graphics because the colour palette seemed more muted (and also because things weren't so fucking shiny).

Thirdly, if the other humans are who I think they are (read Ghosts of Onyx), then we may see a (welcome) convergence of literature and game narrative. Of course, they might be surviving Marines (yeah, I know that Cortana couldn't detect any life signs aboard their ship, but that didn't stop SGT Johnson and plenty of others escaping Installation 04).

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
walrusaurus said:
Phlakes said:
And also getting rid of the almost cartoony style from 1-3 and becoming a lot darker, in a good way? Yeah, if the whole game follows that same principle, then to me, the new trilogy would be completely justified.
The bright vivid visuals were one of the main things that set Halo apart from the metric shitton of sci-fi shooters. So no from where I'm standing: no, getting 'a lot darker' is most definitely not a good thing.

If i want to play a dark gritty space marine game, there are quite literally hundreds of titles that offer that.

that said I've had a lot of great times playing halo with my friends so i'll probably end up buying halo 4 regardless.
I pretty much agree. I won't say no to "dark and gritty" if I find it interesting, but Halo's visual style felt distinct. If they just completely drop that, I can't say I'd be too pleased with that.