So, How About Those Drugs?

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
BobDobolina said:
I'm told it's because if you know what to look for, it's easier to tell what you're getting in a dime-bag of weed or a gram of mushrooms than it is to figure out what exactly is in a synthetically processed powder or pill. The latter can be, and often are, cut with almost anything. (I'm given to understand that the former can be adulterated too, of course, if the producers think they can put one over in the market they're selling to. Often they can.)
But see, the thing is that is just as easy to dilute "natural" drugs. Marijuana has been known to be diluted with glass and plastics (not to mention regular tobacco or other non-psychoactive leaves). There's (supposedly) even been found fecal matter in Hashish. So unless you're going directly to the source, it is difficult knowing what exactly you're buying from an illegal dealer, "chemical" or not.

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
Mezmer said:
So I've been sick for the past two days, forcing me to pretty much ignore the all the stress in my life, which, actually is probably something I needed. Anyway, I've been reflecting on how much I enjoy having good friends, and I recently found out one of my old friends who I used to date, and was vehement about not doing drugs, now smokes pot regularly. "I'm just doing it because it's relaxing."

It's an excuse I've heard only one too many times. Now, I'm not here to make the argument whether or not pot is addictive/bad for you/whatever. I know the facts, I know that it isn't and I know it's not necessarily going to ruin your life. But on the other hand, I know other people who've gone down that similar path just "trying" it once, and now they're complete burnouts, and I hardly recognize the person they used to be anymore.

I've been pretty adamant about not doing drugs my entire 17 years of existence, because I don't think downside is worth the up, and I'm enjoying my life enough where I don't need it to be happy. I'm content with just...living, even if it is a bit "boring" sometimes.

I think what bothers me the most about it, is how someone I thought I knew, completely compromised one of their values. And I don't know why, but when I find out someone is using drugs, my respect for them does diminish somewhat. I know it's wrong to judge people, but I can't remake how I feel about the whole damn thing.

TLDR:
So, even though this thread has probably been made before, I'm wondering what your guys' opinions are on drugs, I'm curious to hear other people's views on it. Maybe it can help me expand my way of viewing the subject.
My motto is "most things in moderation" - I've had some great times with psychedelic drugs, marijuana, and alcohol. Of those three, I'd say alcohol is the most harmful - moreso than LSD or marijuana, certainly.

A great, science-filled book on the subject is "From Chocolate to Morphine: Everything You Need to Know About Mind-Altering Drugs" written by the famous Dr. Weil. It explains in great detail what drugs are doing to your system and takes neither an anti or pro drug approach; just gives the facts.

That having been said, spending your entire life high on marijuana probably isn't a good idea. Worse, though, is spending your entire life drunk on alcohol - which is a perfectly legal drug. Of all the drugs, two of the most dangerous - tobacco and alcohol - are legal, and they count for more deaths than all the other "illegal" drugs combined.

People enjoy altering their consciousness and have enjoyed this since the beginning of time. Some of the first technologies people developed were fermentation technology to make alcohol, and many, many anthropologists and scholars of religion think the earliest religion - even Moses's "visions" from "God" were the result of ingesting psychedelic drugs like certain molds and fungi. The "oracles" of Roman/Greek fame were thought to get their visions from gases coming up out of the Earth which will indeed get you high as a kite.

Drugs can destroy lives but they can also enhance them, they have provided us amazing music, art, and creative thought through the generations. Psychiatrists have "cured" diseases like panic disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder through the careful and physician guided use of drugs like LSD and MDMA. Reading Timothy Leary's early books on the subject - Harvard university undergrads who used LSD and experienced mind-blowing religious/spiritual visions that changed lives for the better - are well documented.

I wouldn't judge somebody for using a drug; that's silly. I would judge a person for how they use the drug and how they act on the drug. Somebody who smokes pot on the weekends or uses it for pain relief might have no issue with the drug at all; somebody who smokes it every day and loses their job because of it probably has a problem.

Same with alcohol use. The wife and I had a friend over last night and enjoyed sampling some very good, very expensive Greek Metaxa (brandy) that was aged for 12 years and to which spices were added; it was excellent. Then we sampled some German Kirschwasser; a style of brandy made from black cherries.

Having a couple of drinks with friends in a social situation can be fun, release inhibitions, and even provide heart-health benefits. Drinking more than 3-4 drinks in a sitting (binge drinking) can cause heart-problems and a whole slew of other health issues.

As for certain other drugs, like methamphetamine and cocaine, I have issues with them simply because they can be so dangerous and I had a very bright friend who had a full scholarship based on his innovative work in Physics; he died at age 25 because cocaine stopped his heart. he was otherwise in perfect health. Still, I don't think cocaine should be illegal - I just think it should come with a VERY sternly worded warning like "One-time use of this drug may kill you" - making drugs illegal just puts the business of drug regulation and distribution in the hands of criminals.

So no, I think judging somebody based on drug use is a bad idea. If I did that throughout my life I would have lost some cherished friends that have enriched my life in countless ways. However, if somebodies drug use starts to harm them or others, it's a good idea to try and back away from the relationship, methinks.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
I take the occasional joint, which is legal in The Netherlands.
I also drink when at party's.

It can be fun to get drunk.
Just be sober enough to not wake up in the wrong bed.

Never again.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
Depends what kind of drugs. Most drugs were originally used by military leaders. Speed was used by Axis pilots during WWII to keep their pilots up and running at maximum capacity, the Japanese would wrap themselves in gause to keep their bodies together and then OD on opium and charge the enemy so that they were physically "unstoppable" unless you hit a vital region since they felt no pain, cocaine used to be perscribed by doctors as a relaxing agent and was used by politicians before big debates.

Personally, I know people who have ruined their lives through drugs, and I know others who get straight-A's and smoke a joint about twice a week.

Really, I only have a problem with three drugs in particular: Acid because its deadly, Crystal Meth because it causes you to litterally rot, is made from highly volitile chems, and is usually made in a dirty toilet, and Ecstacy because it causes high dopamine drainage and chronic depression.

Aside from those three, most drugs I could care less about as long as people have the respect not to use it in front of me, and make sure to use clean equipment when using it.

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
Arachon said:
BobDobolina said:
I'm told it's because if you know what to look for, it's easier to tell what you're getting in a dime-bag of weed or a gram of mushrooms than it is to figure out what exactly is in a synthetically processed powder or pill. The latter can be, and often are, cut with almost anything. (I'm given to understand that the former can be adulterated too, of course, if the producers think they can put one over in the market they're selling to. Often they can.)
But see, the thing is that is just as easy to dilute "natural" drugs. Marijuana has been known to be diluted with glass and plastics (not to mention regular tobacco or other non-psychoactive leaves). There's (supposedly) even been found fecal matter in Hashish. So unless you're going directly to the source, it is difficult knowing what exactly you're buying from an illegal dealer, "chemical" or not.
This is why it is so important to have the government/FDA regulate marijuana; as it is in California and Colorado. You can go to a regulated medical dispensary (or grow your own) and you know exactly what you're smoking.

I've said it once and I'll say it again - leaving drug production to criminal cartels is a horribly bad idea.

I have had friends who used some bad MDMA once and they became very ill. It turned out the pills they took contained a powerful opiate and a powerful sedative combined - one of them had breathing issues because of it. Had the drug been pure MDMA, it is doubtful that any ill effects would have been experienced from the users.

Any parents who have kids that are teenagers; I can't believe that they would want drugs to be illegal - if your kids DO try drugs, which they will regardless of your parenting if they want to, would you rather they get high from a government regulated substance or die from some foreign substance that was never meant to be ingested?

Think of it this way - nobody wants their kids to drink alcohol, but when they (inevitably) try it, are you glad alcohol is legal and doesn't cause death and blindness like the "bootleg" alcohol caused during prohibition due to high levels of toxins due to improper distillation.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jul/10/india-deaths-bootleg-alcohol

Would you rather your kids get drunk and be hungover or get drunk and die/go blind from it?

Barziboy

Apr 14, 2009
You know, I've had this thought recently, it's just a question to pose really; I've even come up with a pretty good idea for a screenplay with it that I'm slowly working on.

Ok, I want you there to Google Images 'Gin Lane', its a pretty ancient comic showing the effects on the un-taxed and low price of Gin in the mid-nineteenth century. Some see this and go: "Why is alcohol legal?", some see it as "People live tough lives, the drink is there to forget and ignore an already drab and morbid lifestyle"...So why aren't drugs any different? (Before I go further, I don't smoke dope or any other drug, never really did, bit too boring)

Think on this: what if every recreational drug was suddenly seen as legal and the government saw that it was best just to leave people to lead thier own lives and fight thier own temptations? (I'm not saying that we live in the same state as 300 years ago, but just wondering how it would go in this day-and-age)

Pretty much most of the most influencial pieces of work in any and every medium have been made/ painted/ written/ computer-generated, when the creator/s had (or even having) an experience with drugs. Trainspotting (I. Welsh), Brave New World/ Doors of Perception (A. Huxley), The Doors, Alice in Wonderland (L. Carroll), Requiem for a Dream, ect.

I don't know, just a thought, probably will go un-noticed/ forgotten, but just think on it.

I've got loads more of these thoughts, just not enough space, or much of your interest to use them. yet.
Edward E. out.

dslatch

Apr 15, 2009
I'm cool with it as long as it comes from the ground not under the kitchen sink. as with most teens I've tried and enjoy dope and few other assorted drugs

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Pure natural drugs also tend to be rather tame in comparison to stuff that is cooked up, or made in a lab, or tinkered with. I mean pure natural drugs would be pot and shrooms anything beyond that is your LSD, prescription pills, meth, smack, crack, etc,etc.

The vast majority of people just simply dabble in drugs, if everyone that used pot and etc became an addict there would barely be any sober people left in the world. But it is a good to play the good friend and keep an eye on your friends to make sure they are just dabbling and not thinking well this is ok, my teachers and parents lied to me, maybe this this and this are ok also. More important if that person has emotional issues they are dealing with and the drugs just become a crutch to avoid dealing with stuff.

But do not play nanny and tell them they are bad and they are wrong and that weed is the devil and etc, more often than not you will just drive them away, and they will have plenty of non stick in the mud friends to hang with that are not you, and may be into harder stuff and have no issues with sharing their habits with your friend.

Bottom line tho it is down to the person what they do and how far they go, some people just like i say dabble don't get in too deep and taper off or quit just simply as time goes on and they get older. Others just keep going down the rabbit hole until they cannot find their way out, tho far rarer.

Weed is not the devil it is not the gateway drug, beer in fact is, it is a fun drug it is a realtively harmless drug, in that is is not physically addictive, and noone in the history of the world have ever od on weed. And weed does actually have medical uses for a variety of ailments, including some where the normal drugs are just not that effective or have way more side side effects than the natural alternative.

But good on you you are so certain in your beliefs, but try to to be tolerant of others and their choices, fire and brimstone will get you nowhere.

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
If you had a room full of 104 people who have ever smoked weed in their entire life, and you throw a rock at every one that has ever tried cocaine even once, you are only going to hit ONE person with a rock. That means less than 1% of pot smokers move on to cocaine. Weed is not a drug we should be afraid of. The problem is people make money because weed is illegal. The dangers have been stretched beyond the point of reason. Gateway drug? I bet 99% of people who drink booze at one point in their life drank milk. So is milk a gateway drug? I could go on forever about this.

"If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything." Well what if you are standing for the wrong thing? Growing up I use to believe that homosexuality is wrong. Now I believe it is perfectly fine. I know perfectly decent people that don't know enough about weed, so they condemn it. Now, other drugs like heroin and meth? Ya, stay away from those. But cannabis is natural that people have been smoking since before America existed. The first marijuana law actually encouraged farmers to grow more hemp. Important documents were even printed on hemp. Hatred towards marijuana can be linked to corporate greed and racism.

In British Columbia, Canada, they have an annual festival dedicated to marijuana. Over the years, only one violent crime was commited at the festival, and that guy was drunk from alcohol, one of the MANY LEGAL, BUT DEADLY DRUGS. I could go get some cough syrup, kill my liver, enjoy being high for a while before I start feeling sick, or I can smoke a bowl, enjoy being high for a while, and fall asleep easily, and I have insomnia. My body literally cannot shut off anymore without staying awake for 30+ hours then crashing, over the counter drugs or pills, or weed. The worst thing I have ever done while smoking weed was be underproductive. The one time I got drunk I ended up getting my ass shaved. Stoner Haydyn is more responsible than Drunk Haydyn.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
They can be entertaining for a while I suppose, they will all mess you up if you do too much although how much is too much varies greatly from person to person and how messed up will vary as well. Not much more to say really, talking about it doesn't interest me anymore.

iTeamKill

Dec 17, 2007
Those people that ended up burn outs cuz of pot were probably going to end up that way in the long run. Pot just made it easier to accept.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Would just like to take something up with the mods

Condone = To forgive, excuse or overlook (something); To allow, accept or permit (something); To forgive (marital infidelity or other marital offense)

Ergo, when one says "I take drugs" or something to that effect, they are not condoning their actions, merely stating them. If they went on to try and justify or promote their actions, that would be condoning. Therefore, please don't tell off CrashBang for condoning drugs. If anything, you could tell him off for having taken some at some point, but that seems a little trivial considering it's not affected the site.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I have no problem with drugs, I used to do them myself actually.
Now that I don't, as long as the user doesn't harm or effect me in any way, they can do what they want for all I care.

flare09

Aug 6, 2008
Kakashi on crack said:
Depends what kind of drugs. Most drugs were originally used by military leaders. Speed was used by Axis pilots during WWII to keep their pilots up and running at maximum capacity, the Japanese would wrap themselves in gause to keep their bodies together and then OD on opium and charge the enemy so that they were physically "unstoppable" unless you hit a vital region since they felt no pain, cocaine used to be perscribed by doctors as a relaxing agent and was used by politicians before big debates.

Personally, I know people who have ruined their lives through drugs, and I know others who get straight-A's and smoke a joint about twice a week.

Really, I only have a problem with three drugs in particular: Acid because its deadly, Crystal Meth because it causes you to litterally rot, is made from highly volitile chems, and is usually made in a dirty toilet, and Ecstacy because it causes high dopamine drainage and chronic depression.

Aside from those three, most drugs I could care less about as long as people have the respect not to use it in front of me, and make sure to use clean equipment when using it.
You're making me rage so hard from your ignorance. First of all, acid is not deadly at all. Chemically speaking it's one of the safest there are. The only problem is when people who shouldn't be doing drugs in the first place, have bad trips and think the devil is eating their dick off so they end up chopping it off and killing themselves. Ecstasy doesn't drain dopamine. It mainly releases a lot of serotonin, way more than usual, and at the end of a roll your brain has exhausted its serotonin supply. However, the brain will rebalance the chemical imbalances over time as long as no more MDMA is ingested. Which is why taking a month break in between rolls makes it one of the safer drug too when it's in its purest form.

And for fucks sake people, stop saying this shit is made in dirty toilets. It's not.

This photo is bullshit and you should start looking into scientific research that is legit and not funded by the government and other anti-drug agencies.