So how bad are Mass Effect 1's driving segments?

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
I like it. Especially like crushing enemies under the vehicle; but that's a side thing. The segments are very few and it's far from uncontrollable. It's just a whole different handling than a car.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
The "horror stories" are completely over-exaggerated. The complainers come across as being really impatient. They are also the ones to complain about the elevator waits. Not that big of a deal imo.

I actually had fun with the Mako. Does get a bit monotonous, but its fun coming up to research outposts and fortifications and what not.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
lucky_sharm said:
I'm thinking about giving Mass Effect a try and the only thing that worries me is all of those horror stories about how bad the driving is. Is it something that you do a lot of during the game?
minorly irritating, kicks the crap out of the bloody planet scanning in the sequel. I even enjoyed some of the car segments at times.

IncredibleTurnip

Feb 27, 2011
The only real trouble I had with the Mako was when I was doing something ridiculous like trying to drive over a mountain. Over reasonable terrain it handles OK. Just OK, but still. And if you are having game-ruining type trouble with it, you can almost always walk. It'll take a while, but it's an option.

Really my biggest complaint about the game was that only two classes could figure out how to look through the sniper rifle's scope. Sure, I get not being able to use it effectively, but it's the closest I have to binoculars!

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
I really enjoyed driving around on the moon and.. other planets.
I don't see anything bad in them.

Svane

Aug 20, 2011
lucky_sharm said:
I'm thinking about giving Mass Effect a try and the only thing that worries me is all of those horror stories about how bad the driving is. Is it something that you do a lot of during the game?
Yeah it's true it's a weird driving mechanic but don't be frighting about it! It's nothing that ruins the game in any way... it's only a little irritation but that's all.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
You know what I liked the driving sections it was nice to explore a bit. I also liked going off up mountains you where not supposed to go and raining down cannon on peoples heads.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Bad? BAD?! Those were my favorite sections in Mass Effect, and then they removed it in ME:2 :(

Mako power forever! What other vehicle can drive up a 85° slope?

Sam Leighton

Feb 18, 2011
It's definitely the worst driving in any game ever (a brick covered in flubber is the most accurate description i've heard) but there's not really enough of it to stop you from at least completing the story. If you plan on getting 100% then it's going to suck though.

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
Hungry Donner said:
If you cut out a lot of the side exploration you don't have too many, and those that you do get tend to be boring more than anything else. But it does handle like a drunk six-legged hippopotamus.
combined with a groovy lowrider caused by all the bouncing

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
I love The Mako and driving sequences in ME1. It's not perfect, but what is? Driving isn't like in driving simulation games of course, but it adds so much to the atmosphere. It makes you feel how huge the galaxy in ME1 really is. You shouldn't be worried about it at all. Go buy the damn game.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
People exaggerate. It's nowhere near as bad as I've heard.

I'd rather drive the Mako for hours than play through that damn Firewalker DLC for ME2 again.

flaviok79

Feb 22, 2011
Agayek said:
lucky_sharm said:
It's not as bad as people make out, in all honesty.

There's something like 4 forced driving segments through the course of the main game, and these are just fine. There's no issue with them at all.

The problem comes in when you go exploring on random planets. Their terrain is very unfriendly in many areas and it makes driving nigh impossible. There's all sorts of hills/mountains that the thing just refuses to go up, and the handling on it is piss-poor so it's really easy to fall off when you're trying to find the sweet spot that will let you go over.

If the terrain was halfway decent, the driving would be fine. Not good by any means, but perfectly serviceable. As is, exploring the side planets is just painful.
I agree with you 100%. I even think Bioware tried to give the driving sessions an Alien feel, with low gravity and such. What really screw things up are the mountain ranges. But vehicle physics have always been Bioware's weakness, ever since Kotor and those swoop bikes. They really should hire someone from Gothan Racing or whatever.

Darby

Jul 21, 2010
I actually liked them. I was using an Xbox 360, and I honestly didn't find the controls bad for the vehicles. You turn the camera when you want to turn a little, like Halo, and you turn the movement stick if you want to turn a lot. I had the same doubts about the vehicle sections before I started playing it, but if you expect them to be absolutely terrible, then they're not that bad when you get to them. Don't let it discourage you from playing, Mass Effect is a great game.

MordinSolus

Feb 10, 2011
Hungry Donner said:
If you cut out a lot of the side exploration you don't have too many, and those that you do get tend to be boring more than anything else. But it does handle like a drunk six-legged hippopotamus.
It couldn't be described any better. Also, funny post.