So how do you feel about Margaret Thatcher's death

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Dijkstra said:
Thatcher is railed on for being a stubborn, aggressive and vile woman. He's expressing all of those qualities by picketing a dead lady's funeral.

I don't see your point. Homophobia is disgusting. Picketing a funeral is disgusting.

The Selkie

May 25, 2012
Mr F. said:
Well, with luck I will be at her funeral and part of the protest. I hate what she represents and I do not like this idea that just because she is dead we should stop criticising her and her policies.
Go ahead, you have the right to peaceful protest and all that, but bear in mind that every Westborough Baptist member who pickets the funeral of a dead soldier hides behind the argument that they're "picketing what [he] represents". Justify it however you want, your being at the funeral won't change the fact that she's getting a state funeral and it won't change what she has done. All it will do is tarnish what is supposed to be a day of mourning for family, friends and well wishers.

Whether you agree with her policies or hate them, everyone deserves to be laid to rest in a manner of their choosing without people dragging politics into it.

Oh and regarding the Belgrano, in the opinion of everyone I've ever talked to who's educated on military law and the situation, there's unanimous acceptance that it wasn't illegal. The captain of the Belgrano agreed that it wasn't illegal. The Rear Admiral in charge of the Argentinian Navy at the time agreed it wasn't illegal.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Me55enger said:
The people whose politics I value actually thought she was a great Prime Minister. They also agree she destoryed countless jobs, societies, and lives. No-one is denying that. But she also led us in the Falklands and brought down the Iron Curtain.

You just don't see many people defending her here because of the traditional demographics between age and political leaning; hence all the Witch is dead rubbish.

As someone who takes pride in having thier own opinion, but admits he was born some 2 years after her term ended, I will say this:

When all this clears, and history sits down to actually consider what it was she did, I believe she will go down in history as someone who actually ACTED.

She made enemies because she did something; regardless of whether folk see it as good or bad. We need someone in the UK who does something, and not be a spineless twatbadger like, say, almost all polticians right now.

We may not need another Thatcher, but we sure as hell need someone who is willing to make some enemies by acting.
Never a truer word said.

She was by no means perfect, but politics is not a binary game: you don't break one thing and expect it to perfectly fix another.

Thatcher was the last PM to actually do something with the country. It was destructive to many, but ultimately necessary judging by what I've read (like you I was born too late to experience it) and it was a damn sight better than what any of the politicians I've grown up with have done; sitting in Westminster, slinging mud and having a pissing contest to see who can look like the bigger bunch of ineffective twats.

No one ever made history by conforming.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Dijkstra said:
Erg, just a slight over reaction.
Thatcher is accused by her critics of being aggressive and stubborn. Mr. F is being aggressive and stubborn. They are acting in a similar manner. That's all there is to my point. Thatcher's homophobia and support of Pinochet had nothing to do with my point. Both Thatcher and Mr. F are expressing similar personality traits.

Has that clarified it?

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
Lieju said:
Yeah, it wasn't like she was even in power anymore. At least with Bin laden you can argue that his death brought an end to something bad.

But it wasn't like Thatcher was hiding in a cave somewhere where she could launch surprise milk-stealing heists from or something.

I guess it's positive in general that people like her won't live forever so that change can happen, but I don't think it's in good taste (or make sense)to be happy she is dead.
Sorry, having too much fun with the mental image of Thatcher sitting in a dark gave wearing a robe and with a beard planning out which new way she's going to get the milk from those damn kids...
Preferably using ACME equipment.
On a more serious note: I can understand people not mourning her death, but you'd kind of expect people to at least be respectful. Can't imagine many people would be happy if people danced on their graves when they died.

Images

Apr 8, 2010
I'm happy. Not only was she a monster, tearing apart communities, taxing the poor unfairly, neglecting those who needed help and ignoring travesties of justice, I'm from Hong Kong and she gave away my home.

If any of you give me that "don't speak ill of the dead" guff, here's my answer...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/08/margaret-thatcher-death-etiquette

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
An absolutely awful person and former world leader is dead. I don't need to dance in the streets over it, but I fail to see why I shouldn't feel good about it.

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
rhizhim said:
beastro said:
Typical responses from those born during and after her term who didn't experience what came before her.

The never ending curse of youth.
so care to enlighten us, great sensei?

or can you please give us a short recap of her "best moments"?
Reversing the mentality of "Managed Decline", but if I had to pick, crushing the Unions.

Ashadowpie

Feb 3, 2012
i dont even know who the heck this person was o_O but if she was a really bad person to the states, i should know who it is, since they amplify every detail of negativity in their country.

then again, im Canadian.

anywho, if she was a rotten human, well i hope she does burns in hell! and im not even religious.

petrolmonkey

May 6, 2009
Images said:
Res Plus said:
Images said:
I'm happy. Not only was she a monster, tearing apart communities, taxing the poor unfairly, neglecting those who needed help and ignoring travesties of justice, I'm from Hong Kong and she gave away my home.

If any of you give me that "don't speak ill of the dead" guff, here's my answer...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/08/margaret-thatcher-death-etiquette
Weird that Guardianista is complaining about giving back a bit of China to China though, normally you guys are well into that white guilt self flagelation nonsense.
Because like I said, I'm FROM Hong Kong you nitwit. I was born there, raised there, grew up there and did not take kindly to my home being given away without a vote.

Ignoring all that she was a beast in all the other ways I listed. To celebrate her death is something many promised they would do when she ruined their lives entirely. I have no problem with people fulfilling that promise I'm just sorry they had to wait so long.
... Your home that was effectively stolen from another country? What us this I'm reading?!

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
Jezzascmezza said:
Sorry to maybe sound disrespectful, or even ignorant, but I wasn't aware she was even still alive up until a day or so ago.
Mostly this, though if I sound disrespectful I'm certainly not sorry for it, because she was a bad person. But regardless, I don't get sad when old famous people die.

Johkmil

Apr 14, 2009
She had been out of politics for two decades - her death does not matter, really. Celebrating it, however, seems a bit morbid.

Timmey

May 29, 2010
Froggy Slayer said:
Mr F. said:
Dude...she ain't getting a state funeral. It's all private, according to her wishes.
This must be a joke right? She is getting the next thing down from a state funeral, and we are footing a 10 million pound bill! Waste of money if there ever was one.