So, how many dudes here roll a female character? Also vice versa?

Liljumpman

May 11, 2016
So I feel out of place in most of the "would you?" threads about female protags. Whether I'd buy the game, get involved in a game, enjoy a game or care about a game based on whether or not it had a female protagonist.

For me those questions are moot, because it actually seems like I prefer roll female than male. From vanilla to pandaria in WoW, Oblivion to Skyrim, ME1-ME3, Origins-Awakening-KirkwallNeighbourhoodWatch-Inquisition, Tera and mostly any MMO or Character Creation game you think of, I rolled Female.

My wife is the same, only she rolls male.

The only game where I rolled male and she rolled female were when we were Lalafells in Final Fantasy Online, where I went mage and she went warrior.

I usually prefer to roll female because I'd prefer to look at something pretty while playing, and because there are a shit load more mods for female characters for most games. Smaller character models, maybe harder hitboxes, etc.

Anyone else here pretty similar and find the "would you or could you" questions for female protags a bit of a nonissue for themselves?

Note: This is not a "should there be more though?" question, this is purely aimed at the "would you could you play as a female character?" question.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
It's pretty much the same for me. I roll about 3/4 female, 1/4 male. Not just because of having something pretty to look at while playing, but because most males are incredibly muscular and very rugged looking. I dislike those kinds of character models.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
I always roll female characters in MMO's, the small frames tend to make it easier for me to see what is happening around me, like fire on the ground....or lonely nerd jizz.

In single player RPG's I tend to stay male. Mostly because lately those RPG's of recent years tend to have sex in them and I like to pretend I am much better with the ladies than I am in real life. Male Fantasy and all that jazz.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I don't roll female characters as often as I like to, because I get off put by stupidly skinny or skimpy designs. Still do it when I can.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Roll (ie. Play) a female avatar? Yes. If I'm going to be staring at an avatar's backside for the next umpteen hours, I find the female form more aesthetically pleasing.

Role play as a female character? No. I don't do role playing, regardless of the sex.

Liljumpman

May 11, 2016
madwarper said:
Roll (ie. Play) a female avatar? Yes. If I'm going to be staring at an avatar's backside for the next umpteen hours, I find the female form more aesthetically pleasing.

Role play as a female character? No. I don't do role playing, regardless of the sex.
Roll, as in create a female character.

Not role play.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
If given the option I go for something like 60/40 in favour of girls. It's close to 50/50 but I slightly prefer females. One of the bigger reasons is that the male physique in games just looks...dumb. Not all games but some of them tend to make guys too beefy and they just look...unreal.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I do every once in awhile. Many factors can go into it. For example, in Mass Effect I roll female because FemShep is awesome. I like the female variants in Diablo 3 more except for the Wizard. I prefer the female characters in State of Decay for some reason. Tangentially, I like playing against female characters more in 4X games like Age of Wonders 3 and Civ 5. I also play the shit out of Kerrigan in SC2 Co-op because she is awesome and I get to ling/muta spam like crazy with her.

Then there are games where I will never roll female. Baldur's Gate 2? And be stuck with Anomen? Fuck that noise. World of Warcraft? I've rolled a few females in WoW and even got to cap with them. Too many creepers to do that again except for maybe gnomes, dwarves, and undead.

beyondbrainmatter

Dec 7, 2010
Sakura is one of my mains in USF4, though that's not saying much. If someone else had tatsu loops, I'd be playing that character.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Generally a lady, usually not white when I have the option and the gear doesn't look stupid. I'm a gruff, scruffy white guy in meatspace, I'm over it.

Unless you can be a robot, in which case I go with the "male" body, because why'd you put breasts on something that doesn't lactate? You're building in boob-plate with its inherent flaw of having a blade catch/shot trap.

The Philistine

Jan 15, 2010
I tend to default to female characters, the designs are usually more interesting than the standard default male character models.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I usually play a tanky-melee male for my first character, and a sneaky or magical female for my second.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Half and half, as evidenced by my SWTOR character roster. By sheer coincidence, my first and most used female character in that game was an Imperial Agent of the same race, size and complexion as the agent's first companion, Kaliyo Djannis.

I certainly found that the female avatar in Fire Emblem Fates had more interesting character designs than the male, though I originally planned it to just to try different romance options than my brother who was also playing it.

I mained Makoto in Street Fighter, but that had little to do with her gender.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Male here, and about 95% I roll are female. If I have to stare at an ass and listen to a voice for 20+ hours, it might as well belong to a woman.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Whether I go male or female is more or less a coin toss these days, though I have probably played as a male more often than female in games that give me the choice. My favourite games that let me do that are Saints Row 4 (where I was male) and Dragon Age: Inquisition (where I was female). I tend to go male in games I haven't played or know little about, so it still tends to be my "default". I also prefer romancing men in games that let me do that, since I find the way female romance options are usually written a bit pandering compared to the men.

These days, nearly all the characters I create tend to be black though. I'm a straight white guy in real life, but I feel like playing a black person injects a bit of diversity to the game world. For all the talk about pushing more female characters into modern games, there's still an overabundance of white characters.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I always roll female, but that's because I'm shallow and like having a (hot) badass chick at my command.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The only time I had roll a female is when I was making a Sylvari (plant people) elementist in Guild Wars 2.

I did make the elementist as male but I was unhappy with the overall look. It only when I got a free makeover kit that let you redo the character apperances. Again no luck with changing the guy face so I try my luck at changing the gender and you know what, it work!

There were nicer looking faces and hair style and even the female version of the armours were a welcome change (excluding the skimpy ones). Heck from time to time, I kinda played dress up on her as I come up with several new armour combos ideas.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I honestly don't because I have no idea how a woman would realistically react in any given scenario. I know how I do, and I role characters as similar to myself as I can get, especially if romance is ever involved. It almost seems...I dunno, voyeuristic or even masturbatory to role the opposite gender and do the sexy times. Like I always picture one of those nerd guys from South Park just holding the controller and whispering "and then to two sexy ladies totally made out and had sex!"

Outside of that, I usually don't. It just feels off to me. Even if no one is around to watch me play, I'll always feel like every choice I make is either offensive or stereotypical.