So, how's everyone enjoying Battlefield 4?

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
ShinyCharizard said:
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
I don't like it. The series took a nosedive in quality with the release of Battlefield 3. My biggest problems with it are the floaty and inaccurate weapons, and the lighting and effects make it very difficult to see enemies. Also the map design is poor in comparison to the Bad Company games.
-Assuming PC-

Turn the lighting off.
Yeah but even with the lighting turned right down it is still next to impossible to see enemies. They just blend into the textures far too much. That combined with the inability to properly aim and control your gun makes it very frustrating. They should have just kept the gun handling from the Bad Company games.
True.

I have a particularly hatred of the bullshitty sight sway on any fuckintg scoped rifle unless you have a bipod, even firing from prone it's terrible.
Yep sight-sway is bullshit. They've taken the push for realism too far to the point where it actively harms the game and takes away the fun. In fact that is my main issue with Battlefield 3 and 4 in general.
On console there is no sight sway in BC2 and I was a bloody good sniper cuz you could take your time and be accurate rather than HOLDYOURBREATHANDSHOOTNOW.

Loathe and detest it.
I was the Sniper God in BC2 lol. They had it perfect in that game. You had all the time in the world to line up your shot and the bullet drop was very easy to account for.
Man I lashed the PS3 on for it a few months back with an old friend I used to play with a lot, he'd be my spotter and watch my back and give bullets.

I joined a match on Atacama desert attacking, we were losing, some dude sniped me so I got out the good old SV98 and went to town. Went 62-1 on their arses and had an utterly preposterous score from the marksman points.

I also found that the MP 412 REX has the exact same trajectory as the M24 sniper.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I'm liking it on the whole, except for Shanghai crashing all the freaking time.

The general feel is closer to BF2 to me, the maps are a bit bigger than 3 (but still smaller than 2/2142, which is still a huge shame) but the increased verticality and more dense terrain is more BF2, as is the limits on vehicle ammo, which I like enormously. I like that the vehicles on the whole are more destructive than than 3's somewhat anemic crowd, whilst the jets are still poorly balanced (Stealths are irrelevant, Attacks are unstoppable) they are improved over 3's God Machines.

I like the way movement carries a touch of momentum and that DICE have fixed the five second glitch from 3, I have knifed entire squads consecutively thanks to that, it's brilliant.

DMRs need a buff, Assault rifles need a slight nerf and the levelution events need to be bigger on most of the maps (especially with Flood Zone/Paracel's beingso good) but on the whole it's another Battlefield game.

If they'd bring back some more BF2 maps more faithfully than the BF3 versions I'd be delighted.
ShinyCharizard said:
My biggest problems with it are the floaty and inaccurate weapons, and the lighting
The weapon physics are much closer to BF2 than Bad Company/3, with rapidly increasing spread for automatic fire, the mouse acceleration thing is quite BF2-like as well with a bit of momentum applied to weapons (it seems to be more for larger/heavier weapons like LMG's and RPG's too), I'm not sure I'd describe it as floaty, but different to the directness of BF3 for sure.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
I don't like it. The series took a nosedive in quality with the release of Battlefield 3. My biggest problems with it are the floaty and inaccurate weapons, and the lighting and effects make it very difficult to see enemies. Also the map design is poor in comparison to the Bad Company games.
-Assuming PC-

Turn the lighting off.
Yeah but even with the lighting turned right down it is still next to impossible to see enemies. They just blend into the textures far too much. That combined with the inability to properly aim and control your gun makes it very frustrating. They should have just kept the gun handling from the Bad Company games.
True.

I have a particularly hatred of the bullshitty sight sway on any fuckintg scoped rifle unless you have a bipod, even firing from prone it's terrible.
Yep sight-sway is bullshit. They've taken the push for realism too far to the point where it actively harms the game and takes away the fun. In fact that is my main issue with Battlefield 3 and 4 in general.
On console there is no sight sway in BC2 and I was a bloody good sniper cuz you could take your time and be accurate rather than HOLDYOURBREATHANDSHOOTNOW.

Loathe and detest it.
I was the Sniper God in BC2 lol. They had it perfect in that game. You had all the time in the world to line up your shot and the bullet drop was very easy to account for.
Man I lashed the PS3 on for it a few months back with an old friend I used to play with a lot, he'd be my spotter and watch my back and give bullets.

I joined a match on Atacama desert attacking, we were losing, some dude sniped me so I got out the good old SV98 and went to town. Went 62-1 on their arses and had an utterly preposterous score from the marksman points.

I also found that the MP 412 REX has the exact same trajectory as the M24 sniper.
Haha yeah I put about 500+ hours into the Xbox 360 version. I can pretty much play any map now and get a kill death ratio of at least 20 to 1, I know every map like the back of my hand. Me and my mate I play with can pretty much take on entire teams by ourselves.

I found that most pistols have the same trajectory as the m24. If you ever miss with a bodyshot you can switch to the pistol quickly and finish them off at any range.

CRAVE CASE 55

Jan 2, 2009
I'm playng on Xbox One and I can't play more than a few games without a crash, I can't use the server browser. It shows games to join but they are all empty, and finally hwne i go to quick match and select conquest i get put into Team Death Match all the time... otherwise the game is fun

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
ShinyCharizard said:
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
-Assuming PC-

Turn the lighting off.
True.

Loathe and detest it.

Haha yeah I put about 500+ hours into the Xbox 360 version. I can pretty much play any map now and get a kill death ratio of at least 20 to 1, I know every map like the back of my hand. Me and my mate I play with can pretty much take on entire teams by ourselves.

I found that most pistols have the same trajectory as the m24. If you ever miss with a bodyshot you can switch to the pistol quickly and finish them off at any range.
I usually don't go to crazy k/d's since I prefer to just dick about and take risks, I have more fun that way, but I'm perfectly capable of it. I've got around 500~ hours into it myself, it's a shame that it's pretty much dead now on the PS3 :(

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Last night was my first time playing BF4 - or any BF multiplayer, for that matter - annnnnnnd so far I can definitively say that I suck at the game. xD

Me and my friends were playing Conquest, so there were ways that I could help out that didn't necessarily depend on my kill-count. Still, if I cam up against an enemy I'd say there was a good 85% chance I was going to die, even if I had the drop on'em. Now I had played CoD up until BLOPs 2, so perhaps that has something to do with it and I'm trying to learn a new game with new mechanics, but I was at least half-way decent (as opposed to out-right embarrassing) at any CoD game that I tried, but here in BF4 I'm just routinely getting my ass handed to me.

I'll be giving it another shot tonight, and I try to have a good time with it by telling myself "I'm still new, and I'm just enjoying some games with my friends", but it's pretty depressing to regularly end a match 4 kills and double-digit deaths.

That said: does anyone have any tips they could offer a complete Battlefield newbie like myself?

Also: Why no grenade cooking? :(

Also Also: Why no pre-formed parties before you go to search for a lobby? Why do you have to find a relatively empty one then invite everyone to the game and hope they get in on your team? If there's a way to do this, I'd appreciate it if someone could let me know. It'd really help me and my friends out. :3

360 Player here.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
SkarKrow said:
and I dislike the DMR's, their existence is to make life easy for people who can't snipe properly.
But they're terrible, genuinely abysmal. I'm not exactly the most top notch shot but I consider my aim to be fairly above average, but I can still shoot straighter with a bolt action rifle than I can with a DMR. Shots from a DMR have this nasty habit of going absolutely anywhere EXCEPT where you're aiming at, plus their damage model has been severely nerfed from BF3.

So many times I've missed kills that should have been a sure thing with DMRs because the round has deviated totally off target, even though I was aiming directly at the guy, if anything, they make life more difficult, getting kills with bolt actions, even in close quarters, is easier than getting kills with DMRs.

But anyway, aside from aforementioned point of DMRs being absolutely gashwank, I'm pretty fine with the game, I like BF4, feels like the game BF3 was trying to be, weapons feel good, all kits feel useful in their own way, vehicles feel pretty well rounded (barring the attack jet, I use the thing plenty and even I can admit that it feels pretty bullshit to use), I dunno.

If I had one big complaint, it'd be that the map design is absolutely fucking schizophrenic, some of the maps play really well (see: Zavod, Golmud, Dawnbreaker and Lancang), but the rest just feel like an absolutely cluster fucky mess.
Oh and fuck Rogue Transmission, seriously, just fuck that map.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
It's an awesome game, when I actually get to play it. Crashes and dropped connections are far too common, they happen almost every other game for me (modes with fewer players do seem much more stable, but I bought this game for 32v32 Conquest dammit!). Also the Quick Match system is terrible, it usually fails to find a game and never puts anyone in servers with DLC.

Great game other than the horrible ancillary problems though, much like Battlefield 3 in that respect.

RJ 17 said:
Also Also: Why no pre-formed parties before you go to search for a lobby? Why do you have to find a relatively empty one then invite everyone to the game and hope they get in on your team? If there's a way to do this, I'd appreciate it if someone could let me know. It'd really help me and my friends out. :3

360 Player here.
The Xbox One version doesn't really have that problem, but that's just because chat parties are also game parties. Much as I complained about quick match it generally will find a game that's suitable for everyone in your party and will probably put you on the same team most times (in the next game for sure).

Seriously though, it's been 9 years since Halo 2 was released. How can shooter developers still be failing so thoroughly at making their console multiplayer usable?

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Master Kuja said:
SkarKrow said:
and I dislike the DMR's, their existence is to make life easy for people who can't snipe properly.
But they're terrible, genuinely abysmal. I'm not exactly the most top notch shot but I consider my aim to be fairly above average, but I can still shoot straighter with a bolt action rifle than I can with a DMR. Shots from a DMR have this nasty habit of going absolutely anywhere EXCEPT where you're aiming at, plus their damage model has been severely nerfed from BF3.

So many times I've missed kills that should have been a sure thing with DMRs because the round has deviated totally off target, even though I was aiming directly at the guy, if anything, they make life more difficult, getting kills with bolt actions, even in close quarters, is easier than getting kills with DMRs.

But anyway, aside from aforementioned point of DMRs being absolutely gashwank, I'm pretty fine with the game, I like BF4, feels like the game BF3 was trying to be, weapons feel good, all kits feel useful in their own way, vehicles feel pretty well rounded (barring the attack jet, I use the thing plenty and even I can admit that it feels pretty bullshit to use), I dunno.

If I had one big complaint, it'd be that the map design is absolutely fucking schizophrenic, some of the maps play really well (see: Zavod, Golmud, Dawnbreaker and Lancang), but the rest just feel like an absolutely cluster fucky mess.
My issue isn't because people use them to snipe, oh no, it's the ones who use them as a shotgun that get me. Since the damn things kill in 2 hits from full health within about 20 meteres they're outright broken for close quarters, the damn things kill faster than the 870 does.

SeeIn2D

May 24, 2011
I hate it. I hate it because I haven't had the whole experience I was meant to have and it's ridiculous. I can barely stay in a game without being kicked or having connection issues. I also cannot believe that for the second time in a row, DICE failed to include a straight forward, no bullshit method of creating a squad and playing with your friends. Really? A game that is hyped up as being one of the best team oriented games around, doesn't have a way to invite and play with friends? And if it does then it is so well hidden (I'm a design and media student so I'm even essentially trained to find things and make layouts) that I can't locate it after searching actively for it. I want them to fix it because for now all I can play is CoD and as I'm sure all of you know that gets rough after the first 15 minutes.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
SkarKrow said:
My issue isn't because people use them to snipe, oh no, it's the ones who use them as a shotgun that get me. Since the damn things kill in 2 hits from full health within about 20 meteres they're outright broken for close quarters, the damn things kill faster than the 870 does.
Really? Huh, that actually surprises me because I've had zero luck with them in close quarters too, seems like even if someone's chest is entirely filling my crosshair my shots will still whiff wide of the target somehow.
Guess DMRs just don't like me, I end up having to fall back on my compact 45 in CQ with DMRs.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
It's a bit too much like BF3 for me to think it's a necessary buy. Levolution is pretty gimmicky but still freaking cool, VOIP is extremely limited (but at least BF4 has it!), Assault is still overpowered with their lasergun assault rifles, and the game still plays out pretty similarly.

Loving the buff to Recon though, since Recon was my most played in BF3. C4 is so much fun, the Shorty 12G secondary is something I never thought I needed, and sniping in general is a lot funner with Range Finders, Zeroing Scopes, and Variable Zoom.

But I am disappointed in a few things. Locker is the new Metro, ACE 23 is the new M16A3, all nades but the Minis are weak in comparison, SMGs are no longer all-class, and DMRs suck shit and DICE has said they're never going to buff them.

Really pissed off about DMRs sucking shit the most.

PeterMerkin69

Dec 2, 2012
I like it but I don't like it. This is my first real incursion into the BF franchise--the last time I played was the demo for Battlefield 1942 waaay back when, and I hated that I was able to destroy tanks with grenades and small arms. I still don't like the way the combat, pacing and vehicles are tuned but there isn't much else available as far as combined arms go on the PS4 just yet.

Anyone who thinks this or Call of Duty are realistic are out of their fucking minds. The weapons are, well, impotent, almost to the extent of MMO weapons, presumably for the sake of class balance. Class balance shouldn't have anything at all to do with twitch based games imo, and there's certainly room for twitch in military shooters. Case in point, an equally matched player using an LMG v another player using an SMG will lose every time because they deplete the first player's health faster. This leads to rock paper scissor gameplay in a lot of circumstances where skill would otherwise determine the outcome, and that is something I cannot abide. At the very least, if I run into you and shoot you three times in the time it takes you to shit me six, we should both die.

I assume this is intentional to stimulate war noise, but it's incredibly hard to hear anyone sneaking up on you or determine where shots are coming from or anything else like that. Which is a shame, because the audio is otherwise really, really good. I was impressed the first time I shot a gun because it actually sounded like a gun being fired, rather than the pitiful door-slamming sound effects used in most titles. Having been a gun enthusiast for a great deal of my life, the sound is something I very much miss when it's not done right.

Having said that, I love blowing the shit out of people in the tank or running away from them while carrying a bomb in Oblit, so for now I'll let all that slide.

Also, there aren't any female avatars to shoot at. What's up with that? I wanna kill women, too.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I am enjoying it. Granted, I haven't even glanced at the campaign, but the multiplayer has certainly been enjoyable.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
-Assuming PC-

Turn the lighting off.
True.

Loathe and detest it.

I usually don't go to crazy k/d's since I prefer to just dick about and take risks, I have more fun that way, but I'm perfectly capable of it. I've got around 500~ hours into it myself, it's a shame that it's pretty much dead now on the PS3 :(
Yeah it's mostly dead on the 360 now. You can still find a decent match or two on the weekend but that's about it. It's sad to see my favourite multiplayer game die out.

A BigCup of Tea

Nov 19, 2009
i really enjoy it, much prefer it to COD even if i do struggle to fly the helicopters and jets (still do it though as it's fun) i think i just prefer the game play to call out duty and I've always liked the fact if there is an enemy camping behind a wall i can destroy that wall and my enemy!

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
SkarKrow said:
Master Kuja said:
SkarKrow said:

Are you we're talking about BF4 here? All DMR's are a 3-shot kill in close quarters (43 max damage) so you should never, EVER be losing a CQC gunfight against a DMR if you're using any automatic weapon.

Only in BF3 we had DMR's that were based on a 50-damage model, and despite that they were still nowhere near as popular as assault rifles for general use. This is coming from someone who has 107 service stars with M417, loved that gun to death.

But in BF4 DMR's just have no use. I often lose even medium-long range gunfights vs people who are using SCAR, M416 or ACE52 because they can simply tap-fire 2-3 bullets (each of which hit very hard) and do better damage. The 1000 rpm guns seem to insta-kill people in close quarters, I've been using the CZ-3A1 a lot lately.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Heyzues, either you're playing Hardcore where DMRs are borderline overpowered, or you're getting too butthurt about getting killed by a bad weapon class.

They suck. An absolute downgrade in pretty much every stat from BF3. Less damage, a LOT more spread, worse hipfire, less sniping attachments, pitiable fire rate. Oh, but they have a higher ammo capacity. They're bad at everything: helpless at close range against every gun, still pretty helpless at medium range against every gun, and they can only beat out some weapons at far range, but I'm talking beating out shotguns without slugs or pistols.

In BF3 they were my favorite weapon class, especially on Rush. They were monsters at all ranges if you played the game right and your aim at close range was on the head.

In BF4, it doesn't matter where you aim, that second shot is going straight into the ceiling or about four feet to the side of your target. No matter what range you're at, you're outclassed, no matter what DMR you use and what attachments you shove on it, it's still going to be nothing more than an inaccurate noise maker and a dirt agitator.

I'm so angry how DICE neglected the DMRs to rot once they said having a 50+ damage scale didn't work. They could've made the DMRs have the tiniest bit different damage models, but nope, all DMRs have to do 40-43 damage, and they all have spread to make using a pistol a shitton more viable. The only DMRs worth using are the SKS for the hipfire, the M39 EMR/SVD-12 (because they have the same exact fucking stats, what the hell) for the "accuracy".

Another thing I'm annoyed with is the new AUG A3. I fucking love the AUG in all of the Battlefield games, they were really good at all range and all situations, and now the AUG A3 is only suitable for close range. The SAR-21 is pretty much the AUG A3 of old for being the accurate powerhouse AR that is a breeze to use at close range, but what if I don't want to use the SAR-21?

And not packaging the M60E4 on release and throwing it in Second Assault is pretty darn sad. I love the M60, not for any of its stats (though the ungodly suppression, accuracy, and damage it had in BF3 ended up working out), but because it's the goddamned M60. I think I'm only eventually getting Second Assault (and Premium in general) is for the M60E4, because I want my M60. The AS VAL is a bonus, that was a pretty fun weapon in BF3.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Elias Islas Rodriguez said:
Also I've found something that controllers can do and mouses can't: compensate recoil, i just played the game on PC and noticed that, most people shot in small burst and then re-aim... With a controller you just push down the analog while moving it horizontally,
I assure you, PC players know how to pull the mouse down to compensate for recoil.
What you might be seeing is Assisted/Sticky/Auto Aim, i.e. your crosshairs will be "magnetically" attracted to the target - a common console feature.